Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #6281
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I have a weird feeling we see Smith go to Buffalo for like a 3rd once Eichel is healthy, and then Buffalo flips him at the deadline.

Almost like a "wink wink, nudge nudge" thing between Vegas and Buffalo as part of the initial trade where he was a piece they wanted to included, but needed the body at the time due to injuries.
It was reported that he was in all the Vegas offers for sure. If I’m Buffalo I’d actually be asking for sweeteners to accept the cap dump. Smith isn’t getting much from other teams at the TDL IMO.

If I’m Vegas I’m trying to move Karlsson as well. I think they do fine with Eichel and Stephenson. I think Karlsson is living off his first season there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #6282
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
If Valimaki + 1st + a UFA contract in Zad is too much for Toffoli than colour me surprised. You have to give to get and while I do think the grass will be greener on the other side of Valimaki’s development you have to consider the window we are in now and if Valimaki can get you a piece that pushes you further ahead now the Flames would be foolish not to do it.

The last time the team pushed all in it was for Jokinen at the cost of a 1st and Lombardi and also cap flexibility so I understand that it’s a big decision that needs to be over analyzed but the Flames find themselves with a coach and a roster that is as close to being a contender as this franchise has had in quite sometime so I’d happily dangle players like Dube and Valimaki along with the 1st to bring in players that make us better now.

Connor brown right now is better than Dube and has a decent contract for the rest of this year and next, fits the contending window and had good chemistry with Mangiapane at the worlds regardless of that being overhyped. It also wouldn’t be the first time we attempted to land Brown who was reportedly part of the Kadri deal that got axed by Kadri. I agree that Dube has more growth and potential to achieve and when he was suggested for DeBrusk I didn’t agree with it but that’s because DeBrusk is a lefty and a free agent at the end of the year where as Brown has another year of control, has also scored 20+ a couple times, is only 27, is a righty… lots to like.

I just feel that Treliving has found himself in a remarkable position to go all in with this roster when many at the start of the year including myself felt that he had wasted the opportunity of ever contending with this roster. It only makes sense for him to push his chips all in at this point.
All I’m saying is we shouldn’t be moving Dube and Valimaki in those deals.

I’m all for getting those players but they are middle six players so I don’t want to give up two young players that should only get better and can push for top 6/top 4 minutes in the years to come if their development goes to plan.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #6283
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which I get but you do have to give to get as well. I’d prefer to hold onto Pelletier and Zary at this point which also makes trading players like Dube and Valimaki more palatable. As it sits both Toffoli and Brown would add more to Flames now then in the future and the Flames window to win is now. Dube and Valimaki will be more than the players they currently are but that’s going to take another 2-3 years of pro development. It makes sense to try and upgrade those pieces and both Dube and Valimaki have fallen on the depth chart through the year which to me highlights them as pieces that we could upgrade.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #6284
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

All jokes aside, he is paid 850K in real money this year, meaning that if Arizona holds onto cap they wouldn't be hurting. Calgary sending a roster player and pick (or Pitlick).

I look at Mackie impressing Sutter with his Gordie Howe hattrick the other day, Zadorov playing better and having real value, and a third line of Dube-Monahan-Kessel.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #6285
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should go after Gostisbehere or Giordano at the deadline. A LHD who can push Gudbranson down to #6 is crucial, and I have zero faith left Valimaki can be the guy

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #6286
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love Gio but he doesn't need to come back into the room this year.
Flames playing a brand of hockey we havent seen in years, yes this is Sutter's doing to an extent but the room itself also seems to be less toxic.

He can come back and retire a flame but I'd rather they just move on from the Gio era.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #6287
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli is currently week to week with an upper body injury. Coach Ducharme said it could be quote ‘a while’ until we see Toffoli back in action.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #6288
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Good. Healthy and rested for a long playoff run with the Flames.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #6289
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
We should go after Gostisbehere or Giordano at the deadline. A LHD who can push Gudbranson down to #6 is crucial, and I have zero faith left Valimaki can be the guy

Gudbranson has been RD, which is why Zadorov / Valimaki / Stone have been “rotating”. Acquiring another LD won’t help that situation.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #6290
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Gudbranson has been RD, which is why Zadorov / Valimaki / Stone have been “rotating”. Acquiring another LD won’t help that situation.
I think what he was meaning is right now Gudbranson is considered #5 on the depth chart regardless of handedness and the revolving door at LD on the third pairing has left things unsettled. In his opinion landing one of Gio or Ghost to be the clear #5 guy would automatically slot Gudbranson as the #6 guy on the depth chart as he’s been arguably better to much better than Zad/Vali/Stone. This would stabilize the D and stop the revolving door to a degree; I still think if we landed another LD we would still see some sub-ins throughout the year as it takes an army and you need to have players staying in game shape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #6291
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think what he was meaning is right now Gudbranson is considered #5 on the depth chart regardless of handedness and the revolving door at LD on the third pairing has left things unsettled. In his opinion landing one of Gio or Ghost to be the clear #5 guy would automatically slot Gudbranson as the #6 guy on the depth chart as he’s been arguably better to much better than Zad/Vali/Stone. This would stabilize the D and stop the revolving door to a degree; I still think if we landed another LD we would still see some sub-ins throughout the year as it takes an army and you need to have players staying in game shape.
Exactly this!

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #6292
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s always nice to upgrade bottom pair D but I’d think a 2-3 RW is more important.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #6293
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, at the moment the biggest pressing need to upgrade in the team is a middle six RW to replace Pitlick. If we manage to fill that hole and then add a guy like Gio or Ghost if the price is right I wouldn’t be opposed but we need to find that middle six RW before anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #6294
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, at the moment the biggest pressing need to upgrade in the team is a middle six RW to replace Pitlick. If we manage to fill that hole and then add a guy like Gio or Ghost if the price is right I wouldn’t be opposed but we need to find that middle six RW before anything.
I actually think that the biggest need on the team is a 2nd line center. Monahan and backlund have lost their ability to provide 5on5 offence.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #6295
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I actually think that the biggest need on the team is a 2nd line center. Monahan and backlund have lost their ability to provide 5on5 offence.
Maybe, but they actually have centres, whether you like them or not, whereas they don’t have real RWs. They have LWs and centres playing out of position.

Plus a 2-3 RW is much easier to find than a 2C IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #6296
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe, but they actually have centres, whether you like them or not, whereas they don’t have real RWs. They have LWs and centres playing out of position.

Plus a 2-3 RW is much easier to find than a 2C IMO.
The acquisition cost is much harder for a top6 center. In my opinion, that would be the true boost the team needs to get to the next level later in the season.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #6297
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But perhaps a LW in a RW spot is not as dire of a problem as a 3C playing in a 2C spot.

An injury to Lindholm would hurt the team far more than an injury to any of the wingers would. Having a 2C could lessen that risk.

However, I do think it would be very easy to upgrade on Pitlick on the third line. In fact, there may be upgrades within the Flames system.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #6298
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hertl please.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #6299
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hertl would cost a lot and he’s only a rental. More so because he only costs $3.5M in real money since his bonus is paid. I would guess a first plus (and you need to dump cap as well). He also has a 3 team trade list. Plus, of course, the Sharks aren’t exactly out of it.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #6300
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hertl would cost a lot and he’s only a rental. More so because he only costs $3.5M in real money since his bonus is paid. I would guess a first plus (and you need to dump cap as well). He also has a 3 team trade list. Plus, of course, the Sharks aren’t exactly out of it.

Yeah, I think there would be many teams bidding for him, the cost would likely be a first and a very good prospect.

And he would not currently be available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote