Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #2941
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

But I suppose Pat has long resigned himself to the impartial, ho-hum mediator role on the roundtable discussions.
Seems like he's going through the motions, to be honest, except when he's screaming into the mic sometimes. Sounds even worse because he's got a nasal voice. It must be an audio issue on his headphones because he doesn't always scream.

Really wish Ryan Pinder was on the afternoons. He could certainly call both Will Nault and Derek Wills out on their respective schticks. Pat refuses to do so.

I miss Peter Klein.
AndyM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 11:31 PM   #2942
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The Dube point was fair, albeit a little over the top in the delivery with blasting fans for liking the player's body of work since being in the NHL. Not the best way to make a point.

I think the big issue is he can't seem to critique something without drawing a larger (typically negative) conclusion about it. And the fan blasting doesn't seem very on brand for a station named "the Fan" either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Well that is actually true. Didn't hear the rant but Dube does go offside a lot or makes an extra move and makes his linemates go offside. He has killed any line he's been on.

Again, my main point about the Dube rant wasn’t that it was inaccurate, it was that it derailed an otherwise promising discussion about how to solve depth scoring. As soon as the “angry take” schtick begins, whatever topic is being discussed is dead.

That’s what gets tiresome for me.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #2943
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also not a fan of Nault being extremely negative but then trying to follow up a rant or segment with some forced humor. Kind of comes across like a drunk verbally abusive relative trying to smooth over the situation. You aren't a fun loving guy. You're a dink.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #2944
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Also not a fan of Nault being extremely negative but then trying to follow up a rant or segment with some forced humor. Kind of comes across like a drunk verbally abusive relative trying to smooth over the situation. You aren't a fun loving guy. You're a dink.
Yeah, he comes across as phony. Loubo is quirky, but you know that's him. Totally genuine.

Of course, I realize it's free. I don't pay anything to listen to the radio. Maybe if a new program director comes, they will mix things up a bit. The morning show is top-heavy, which is awesome in some ways, but afternoons need someone to carry it.
AndyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #2945
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Pat usually has to jump in after his rants and provide a couple positives/perspective so that the segments don't end off on such a dreary, depressive note.

Yesterday it was "remember, these are constructive criticisms that come with moving to another level as a team"

Even though Nault doesn't sound remotely constructive in his comments. He just rips a player and rips the fans for liking the player then passes off the mic to Pat.

It's fine to critique a young player, but the way the guy frames it manages to come off pretty abrasive. Its important not to be all negative and acknowledge some of the positives. He made it out like Dube had been garbage since day 1 in the league when that's not the case.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #2946
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nault just seems like a naturally prickly guy, and the feeling I get as a listener is his radio mates all have to walk on pins and needles around the guy so as to not set him off on another negative rant. That doesn't make for good radio at all. I really do wish they had kept Peter Klein over him. Klein was a bit unpolished, but he had way more positive enthusiasm that translated well over the air IMO. He was a lot easier to listen to, that's for sure.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #2947
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I stopped listening live years ago, but would occasionally download boomer in the morning and listen via podcast. That eventually changed to just listening to segments they posted on the fan website, and now the fan960 rarely updates that content (am or pm show) so now I don’t listen at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #2948
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Yeah, he comes across as phony. Loubo is quirky, but you know that's him. Totally genuine.

Of course, I realize it's free. I don't pay anything to listen to the radio. Maybe if a new program director comes, they will mix things up a bit. The morning show is top-heavy, which is awesome in some ways, but afternoons need someone to carry it.
They don't have enough talent to carry 2 shows, so I'd much prefer to keep the morning with Boomer and Pinder rather than dilute it to improve the afternoon show. I just grab the podcast and don't bother with the Fan at any other time.

I also don't think Pinder is great at hosting, either in the afternoon or the morning when Boomer is off. There is something so unnatural about him, but when he's the second guy with Boomer, I think he's awesome.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #2949
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I used to listen to Fan960 during my lunch break walks with the dogs. I find it unlistenable now and have reverted to other podcasts.

Speaking of which I have gained a new appreciation for Bob McCown's stuff, really enjoy his podcast. Maybe this means I am getting old and curmudgeonly?
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #2950
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike for president!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #2951
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

You pay with your soul every time you listen to those Auto Value Auto Parts (“stay classy Alberta”), Paradise Bay hot tubs (pirate jig) and Spence Diamonds (Callum, Mr. Jones has asked you to blah blah blah) commercials.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #2952
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
You pay with your soul every time you listen to those Auto Value Auto Parts (“stay classy Alberta”), Paradise Bay hot tubs (pirate jig) and Spence Diamonds (Callum, Mr. Jones has asked you to blah blah blah) commercials.
I only listen in the car, and I have a mute button right on my steering wheel. Every one of those ads causes my thumb to twitch for instant silence.

Question for anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone at Auto Value Auto Parts or their ad agency: Who the frabberjabbing hell thought it was a good idea to put a laugh track on a commercial? Did they think it would make people actually laugh at their incredibly dull and unfunny ad copy, or are they simply trying to annoy people even more than the ad would without it?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:05 AM   #2953
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I only listen in the car, and I have a mute button right on my steering wheel. Every one of those ads causes my thumb to twitch for instant silence.

Question for anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone at Auto Value Auto Parts or their ad agency: Who the frabberjabbing hell thought it was a good idea to put a laugh track on a commercial? Did they think it would make people actually laugh at their incredibly dull and unfunny ad copy, or are they simply trying to annoy people even more than the ad would without it?
Probably not. The ad did its job. It has people talking about it.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:06 AM   #2954
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Probably not. The ad did its job. It has people talking about it.
No, the ad's job was to get people to buy from Auto Value Auto Parts. Thanks to that campaign, I remember the name of the business – and refuse to buy anything from them, ever. That is not the result they were looking for.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #2955
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
No, the ad's job was to get people to buy from Auto Value Auto Parts. Thanks to that campaign, I remember the name of the business – and refuse to buy anything from them, ever. That is not the result they were looking for.
Advertising is made to sell. You just advertised for them. They did their job.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #2956
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Advertising is made to sell. You just advertised for them. They did their job.
I didn't advertise for them, I said that their advertising failed and pointed out exactly how and why it failed. In fact, nobody in this thread has mentioned them in any positive way. ‘You pay with your soul every time you listen’ is not an endorsement. Neither is pointing out that these people are stupid enough to keep spending money on stupid ads that cause listeners to mute the radio. I don't trust anyone that stupid to sell me a product worth buying, and I don't advise anyone else to trust them either.

Contrary to what the idiot self-promotion gurus will tell you, there IS such a thing as bad publicity.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #2957
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Maybe we can get Nault a job at an autobody shop. He seems to enjoy giving people bad news.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #2958
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
The list of radio ads I like is extremely short. Certain folk fest ads from a few years back and that's it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #2959
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On the topic of bad ads, anyone miss those *casually woven into conversation* style ad reads for mypillow?

One day Boomer is raving about his good night sleep and then nary a word. I wonder why those disappeared
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #2960
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I did use Pete the Plumber because I heard their ads on the Fan back in the day, so I'd say it does work for some.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote