Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #7001
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Armia struggling this season and benched tonight. But he’s a big RHS RW who was over .5 PPG for a few years running until last season. Monahan for him straight up?
He was at .5 PPG once, not close anytime else.

Over the last two seasons, he has 19 points in 70 games.

I am all for removing Monny’s cap hit, but not at the expense of a longer contract.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 09:39 PM   #7002
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
"gReAt tEaMs aRe IdEnTiFiEd aFtEr tHe fAcT."

Alright we're done my friend.
I'm not your friend, I'm not done, and repeating my words with random capitals does not constitute a counter-argument. You've basically admitted you have nothing to counter with, so I shall just take the win.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:40 PM   #7003
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Great point! Will read again.
Your point appears to be that we're not allowed to say anything positive about the Flames' season until it is over, and then only if they succeed in the playoffs. Your point stinks… but I will read it again, and again, and again, as long as I continue to read CP.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #7004
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Your point appears to be that we're not allowed to say anything positive about the Flames' season until it is over, and then only if they succeed in the playoffs. Your point stinks… but I will read it again, and again, and again, as long as I continue to read CP.
Not even close. The point was about the point that we’re not allowed to say anything negative.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 12:35 AM   #7005
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven’t thought of this before but I wonder if we could see Tanner Pearson in Calgary.

He lasted all of 44 games when Jim Rutherford traded for him in Pittsburgh (moved him to Vancouver for Gudbranson 1 for 1)

Huge Sutter connections, was a top 6 forward who was 3rd on the Kings in goals during Sutters last 3 seasons in LA.

If Sutter is telling Treliving that he needs more finish in the bottom 6….I could see Pearson as a “Sutter target” for sure
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:58 AM   #7006
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Tell that to Tampa in 2019.
Tampa in 2019?

Yes they got swept in round 1. Despite that... they also:

- set the record for regular season wins en route to Presidents Trophy
- were four years removed from the SCF
- were three years removed from the ECF
- were one year removed from the ECF

That five year stretch including the first round sweep is... More aggregate success than the Calgary Flames have had since 1990

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #7007
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Don't bother, the Flames could be 1st in points percentage in the entire NHL and the negative crowd would still find a way to spin it as a bad thing.
I'm loving the potential the team has, but I'm also tempering my excitement because of the last 18 years of mediocracy(2004?).

It is a script we have seen before with this group. I hope to Jeebus they prove me wrong but until they do, I reserve the right to be skeptical. Is that what you mean by the "negative crowd"?

I would hate for this place to become a hotbed of "positive toxicity" that blinds the Coiler crowd to their shortcomings. Go read HF before their losing skid and tell me that place didn't need a skeptic. Anyone who dared to question anything was shot down. It was great entertainment for me on a freezing day off.

You must have balance in the force, lest we become what we most hate.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:51 PM   #7008
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting comment from Friedman on todays 32 thoughts podcast; a listener asked why the Flames haven’t been linked to Chychrun. Friedman’s response was he didn’t think the Flames are interested in dealing picks or prospects at the moment. He thought Eichel would have been an exception but his sense is they are hanging on to those assets. He notes he could be wrong but he hasn’t sensed they want to go there.

Pretty interesting in a number of ways. This might suggest Treliving has a longer leash than many here would want and perhaps his philosophy has shifted some what and the types of trades we saw from the Flames around 2018 are a thing of the past.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #7009
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could also mean a few other things. I dont think the management team even knows if they're going rebuild or going to be able to sign their big ticket FA's.

I think they're keeping their assets because they're going to pile more onto those.

Sutter said he wanted to win a cup when he came back but O think he's starting to realize right now, he doesn't have and maybe will not get the depth he needs or wants.

Could also mean he doesn't have access to those assets to make deals as he is in the hot seat. Maybe the deadline tells ownership which way they're going to go.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #7010
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Interesting comment from Friedman on todays 32 thoughts podcast; a listener asked why the Flames haven’t been linked to Chychrun. Friedman’s response was he didn’t think the Flames are interested in dealing picks or prospects at the moment. He thought Eichel would have been an exception but his sense is they are hanging on to those assets. He notes he could be wrong but he hasn’t sensed they want to go there.

Pretty interesting in a number of ways. This might suggest Treliving has a longer leash than many here would want and perhaps his philosophy has shifted some what and the types of trades we saw from the Flames around 2018 are a thing of the past.
The trades of 2018 are definitely a thing of the past but Flames not making a big in season acquisition doesn’t really signal a change in philosophy to me. They continued to sign veterans and trade picks for depth this past offseason.

I suppose you could interpret that Treliving doesn’t feel desperate to save his job.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #7011
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to give up picks and young players if you are getting a young, cost-controlled, impact player on a sweet deal like Chychrun. He's only 23, and signed for 3 more years after this one at 4.6M/per. It hurts more when it's for older guys and players who are in the last year of their deals.

EDIT: The reason we aren't hearing about the Flames in rumours giving up picks and young players for Chychrun is because they are going to give up picks and young players for Giordano at the deadline.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-17-2022 at 11:38 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 06:11 AM   #7012
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to give up picks and young players if you are getting a young, cost-controlled, impact player on a sweet deal like Chychrun. He's only 23, and signed for 3 more years after this one at 4.6M/per. It hurts more when it's for older guys and players who are in the last year of their deals.

EDIT: The reason we aren't hearing about the Flames in rumours giving up picks and young players for Chychrun is because they are going to give up picks and young players for Giordano at the deadline.
Hopefully not. It would be nice to get him back, but an article mentioned a 1st and a prospect. Surely overkill
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:26 AM   #7013
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

I highly doubt they are going to trade for Gio . If Tre wouldn’t pay a first round pick to retain Gio for the whole year , I can’t see him paying the same price for a couple of months of Gio. My guess is Gio signs back as a ufa in the summer. Gio on the bottom pair would be a big upgrade on zadarov.

As for Chychrun I hope Tre has given up on having the best d on paper roster. If he is spending picks and prospects it has to be for legit top 6 players .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:38 AM   #7014
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a team will end up paying a 1st for Gio and I sure hope it is not the Flames
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:42 AM   #7015
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

There was that rumor that Seattle was going to flip him to the Rangers after the draft. Wonder if they were actually interested. Might be a fit. Still surprises me they named him the first captain just to move him before the season is done.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #7016
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really think that if Johnny isn’t signed by the deadline we may end up dealing him. And possibly Tkachuk if we see enough assets coming back our way. Mind you the latter seems like a tough sell, Matt seems like a heart and soul guy that Sutter loves.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #7017
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
I really think that if Johnny isn’t signed by the deadline we may end up dealing him. And possibly Tkachuk if we see enough assets coming back our way. Mind you the latter seems like a tough sell, Matt seems like a heart and soul guy that Sutter loves.
If the Flames are not in a playoff spot at the time of the deadline it will be very interesting to see how Treliving handles things. Missing the playoffs again is certainly not something that would entice Gaudreau to sign with the team if he indeed wants to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think a team will end up paying a 1st for Gio and I sure hope it is not the Flames
I don't know if Gio will fetch a 1st unless a team like the Panthers wants to shore up depth to go all-in to win the cup this year. On a good team he's more of a depth defenseman at this point.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-18-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #7018
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames should not be trading the 1st at all.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #7019
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the gaudreau and tkachuk futures' are, in fact, unknown or unlikely, to Calgary, they shouldn't be trading any futures whatsoever.

Do whatever damage you can with this group. If valimaki, Phillips, aren't in fact, likely to be flames, maybe some lower end deals to tweak depth.

Enjoy the season, which has been great, outside the last dozen games. Expect big changes this offseason.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #7020
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If the Flames are not in a playoff spot at the time of the deadline it will be very interesting to see how Treliving handles things. Missing the playoffs again is certainly not something that would entice Gaudreau to sign with the team if he indeed wants to win.

If the Flames are not in a playoff spot come the deadline, they will need to be very bad, considering their competition. I doubt that happens.

Now if they are not in a position, do the Flames give up? I find that unlikely, unless they are so far out, which is even more unlikely.

Johnny would be hard to trade with such a restrictive list. It could be essentially a full NTC if he's listed 5 teams that would have no interest in a rental.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote