Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #101
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think we lag the NHL in ratings so we can probably follow the same with retirements? So all retirements will take effect at the end of season. I am okay with no buyout or even a reduced buyout at the end of the off season applied so 1 more year of the contract comes off the books( I.e if some player retires with a 3 year cphl contract since we apply it at the end of the season it will be a buyout for 2 years). I think no one is going to complain if they lose a plug but it is an issue when some key players just fall off the map.

I dont like the voting idea as it is too much to manage. I would prefer a simple to enforce rule that doesnt make it cumbersome. I think we as a league probably need to provide some stability to the gms and teams where we can, hence the retirements applied at the end of the season.
BagoPucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #102
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I vote for whatever puts Niskanen back on my roster
(but not really)

I dont think I have a problem with how it is now. If there's an retirement announcement, they are retired. If it's LTIR, whether cap circumvention or for actual injury, career ending or not, they are still not retired. That part seems pretty black and white.

I don't like the voting by GMs to see if a player is retired or not and would prefer that remain decided by an official piece of media that says so instead of a vote because I agree that way is less subjective.

I like option number 3 but would keep the buyout as it involves a strategic decision when signing (mostly) UFA aged players.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #103
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are the proposed options for evolving how we evolve our retirement rules.
We can get into an endless debate on this, so I’d like to settle on options we vote on. There will be 3 votes:

1. The core rule itself
2. If we do away with the buyout
3. When we apply the rule (retro, now, off-season)

For the purpose of these rules, the definition is that a player is considered retired when they announce that they are retiring from pro hockey or taking an off ice position. The announcement must be made by the player, their agent, their team, or reported as confirmed by a reputable media source. If a player announces they are done in the NHL but continuing to play pro hockey elsewhere (e.g. KHL), they will still be considered active in the CPHL. A player still being technically active in the NHL via LTIR will no longer be considered an exception for their status as being retired. A player that retired during the season will be considered retired in the CPHL immediately (except when noted in the rule option below). A player that retires at the end of their NHL season, or announces that they will be retiring at the end of the NHL season, will be permitted to complete their CPHL season.

Options for rules are as follows

1. All players that fall under the above definition will be retired immediately per the above, except if the player is announcing their retirement at the end of the NHL season, in which case they will be permitted to complete their CPHL season including playoffs. Where the matter is not clear, it will be put to a vote of the league GMs, with a majority required to retire the player. If the player “un-retires” it will be made available as a free agent to the league, following standard UFA bidding rules, with the team’s original GM holding the right to match the winning offer to retain the player. Per standard UFA bidding rules, teams, including the original GM must have the available cap space for their bids.

2. All players that fall under the above definition, will not be retired immediately but rather at the conclusion of the CPHL season. If the player “un-retires” it will be made available as a free agent to the league, following standard UFA bidding rules, with the team’s original GM holding the right to match the winning offer to retain the player. Per standard UFA bidding rules, teams, including the original GM must have the available cap space for their bids.

3. All players that fall under the above definition, will be put to a league vote to decide if they are retired or not, with a majority required to retire the player. If the player “un-retires” it will be made available as a free agent to the league, following standard UFA bidding rules, with the team’s original GM holding the right to match the winning offer to retain the player. Per standard UFA bidding rules, teams, including the original GM must have the available cap space for their bids.

Feedback today, and then I will finalize and put to vote tomorrow.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 01-10-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #104
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jay Bouwmeester Is done.

https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/st...245096969?s=21
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #105
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Williams, Engelland, Wilson and now Bouwmeester. Got some good games out of him though, so can’t complain.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:16 AM   #106
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

CapFriendly has Dustin Byfuglien listed as retired, if that means anything.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dustin-byfuglien

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #107
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy hasn’t played a game in any league since April 2019 and doesn’t have an active contract.

If Capfriendly considers him retired that seems pretty official as they are the best source on anything contract related.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:23 AM   #108
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh great...here comes a vote...
Old 01-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #109
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jimmy Howard is done
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/4202247001
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #110
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed the earlier post on Buff. Are we agreed he's done too? Do folks actually want to vote?
Old 01-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #111
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I missed the earlier post on Buff. Are we agreed he's done too? Do folks actually want to vote?

Did we not going through a voting process for this, that such retirement will happen at seasons end unless the player announces his retirement

The whole point of the questioning of the rule that it would now eliminate the grey area for when the league would enforce rules.

It’s the picking and choosing of which retirements to enforce and which to not force becomes difficult. When we allow one player to slip in the cracks it opens the door for larger grey area because we then use the reasoning “we used the rule for x player”

We went through the whole voting process and two players were retired as a result. Is someone acquires Steen and now it’s advantage cap-wise for that team to retire him do we now retire him?

That’s all my point was, grey areas allow larger area for this to get messed up

For the record, I think they all should be retired but I’m in the minority, but I do think that the rule should be consistent regardless of which way it is

If there's a vote for Byfuglien I vote yes regardless

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 01-28-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #112
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league voted not to apply the rule changes until the end of the season. Which I pointed out means we would continue to operate under the ambiguity we have been. And which is also why I was surprised the majority chose that option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #113
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like Jiri has been transparent in my short while here.
BagoPucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #114
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think Dustin Byfuglien and Jimmy Howard both should be retired.

I know the vote occurred, the grey area is around the players that have existing contracts but are actually retired (i.e. Alex Steen). Those are the toughest.

My thoughts
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #115
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm of the mind to retire them both.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more news about Buff. It was such a big story for a while - so odd that he has now retired and it didn't get much coverage.
I mean I found this but what the hell is this:
https://godrakkargo.com/dustin-byfug...in%20the%20NHL.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #116
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm afraid to click that link...
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #117
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I will recuse myself from any further discussion, other than to say I think all of these players should be retired.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #118
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Retire all those bums.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #119
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

In either case, under old or new definitions seems pretty clear these guys are both retired. so that's what i'm going to do
Old 02-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #120
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Koivu couldn’t take it under Torts:

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news...es/c-321239888

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post: