Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #601
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Buncha cake eaters.

MM has aged a bit

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #602
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Daughter has really got into Mary Poppins. She prefers the sequel because the children are not as naughty.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #603
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I wasn't the most optimistic person around about it. But I thought the first episode of Mighty Ducks was pretty satisfying, a lot closer to D1 than to D3.

I really liked the excitement in their eyes when they hoy a Canadian for their team.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 11:19 PM   #604
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was a lot of things, a little cheesy, some real fall flat or expected jokes. But there's an earnestness to it that makes it kind of appealing. I liked the feeling of bringing back the first movie. I also really liked that the Mighty Ducks had basically become the thing that they were founded to fight and that's the Hawks. I don't remember did the Hawks make an appearance on Team Day. It'd be nice to have some kind of salute to Lane Smith.

You can't help but like Lauren Graham, there's something really likeable for her in every role she plays. Emilio can also really up that kind of beaten down weary underdog card. You have to wonder what happened to the guy that in the last movie was a high powered attorney running hockey USA, that he ended up in a decrepit rink.

I did love the Canadian Joke and it hit home. When I went to college in Texas, I joined a men's league, and the first impression of the Texan's is that getting a canadian on the team was a huge edge. Until I took to the ice, and I was at best pretty ordinary, though I played a lot more physically then they were used to.

I liked the role switch for Dylan Playfair as he played the jerk coach to a T, especially when he cut Evan in such a brutal and callous manner.

There's nothing complex about this story and how its going to progress. That's kind of what's going to make it a bit of a fun trip into nostalgia.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #605
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
So I wasn't the most optimistic person around about it. But I thought the first episode of Mighty Ducks was pretty satisfying, a lot closer to D1 than to D3.

I really liked the excitement in their eyes when they hoy a Canadian for their team.
I didn't realize it was one episode per week definitely would have binged it
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #606
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed it as well. It's similar in tone to the original film, the kids are all likeable characters, and overall it's a fun bit of nostalgia. Lauren Graham and Emilio were great.

I was looking at Emilio's IMDB page wondering what he's been up to over the last few years. Turns out he's done quite a bit of directing, including an upcoming Young Guns sequel which he's writing, directing, and starring in.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391735..._=nm_flmg_dr_1
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #607
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He directed a movie on the Kennedy's that was an excellent bit of work.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #608
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I did love the Canadian Joke and it hit home. When I went to college in Texas, I joined a men's league, and the first impression of the Texan's is that getting a canadian on the team was a huge edge. Until I took to the ice, and I was at best pretty ordinary, though I played a lot more physically then they were used to.
Yep, I've never played hockey outside of Canada. But I do remember the 1 year at sleep away hockey camp, we have 5 kids from California show up, they were like our parents sent us up here to get training with Canadians, they were all triple A top tier players at the camp (although even at that I guess it's reasonable to assume those kids found better coaching and competition in Canada they they could have gotten in California).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #609
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tyler Myer's parents moved from Texas to Calgary so he could try out for bantam AAA
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #610
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not as strong of an episode as the first one, they over played a bit the mom doing goofy encounter sessions with the team.

The nostelgia feels happened in the scene when we see Gordon skating with the Ducks theme playing in the background.

They got absolutely waxed, we get the mom coming in with the at least you had fun, and her kid replying with basically getting your ass kicked like that isn't fun.

Emilio Estevez really is shining in this.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #611
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Tyler Myer's parents moved from Texas to Calgary so he could try out for bantam AAA
Funny enough, Kurt Russell and his family did the same for Wyatt. They moved to Vancouver.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #612
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mighty Ducks is pretty bad. I get it already the new Ducks are evil and being a single mom is tough. I'll be watching based on nostalgia on the lack of hockey related TV at this point.

In the movie a big deal was made about the districts but now you can just start another team for some reason. I find it hard to believe a top team like the Ducks doesn't have a B team or a cut player couldn't find a spot on one of the other 9 teams. If a player has the fee and wants to play I can't see a local league telling them to pound sand with the only option being to start a new team.

Seeing how bad the Don't Bothers are just reminds me of how ridiculous the movie was in having this horrible team turn things around almost immediately. This team is even worse than the original Ducks which worries me they'll turn the sports movie tropes up to 11. Hopefully with the league age group being 12 to 14 year olds we get 3 seasons of gradual improvement instead of 3 games of drastic improvement.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #613
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Mighty Ducks is pretty bad. I get it already the new Ducks are evil and being a single mom is tough. I'll be watching based on nostalgia on the lack of hockey related TV at this point.

In the movie a big deal was made about the districts but now you can just start another team for some reason. I find it hard to believe a top team like the Ducks doesn't have a B team or a cut player couldn't find a spot on one of the other 9 teams. If a player has the fee and wants to play I can't see a local league telling them to pound sand with the only option being to start a new team.

Seeing how bad the Don't Bothers are just reminds me of how ridiculous the movie was in having this horrible team turn things around almost immediately. This team is even worse than the original Ducks which worries me they'll turn the sports movie tropes up to 11. Hopefully with the league age group being 12 to 14 year olds we get 3 seasons of gradual improvement instead of 3 games of drastic improvement.
I want drastic improvements make those ducks pay!!!!! I actually really enjoy the show but part of that is probably nostalgia
Old 04-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #614
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #615
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

Lol. This is a kids show.

Are you expecting The Wire level writing for a show clearly made for small children?

Maybe it's not the show thats the issue here... haha.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #616
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
He moved in Novice, not Bantam. And Bow Valley didn’t know where to put him in tryouts so they started him on novice 12, and the tryouts started where 12 faces 11, then the top couple from 12 move up and bottom couple from 11 move down, then 11 plays 10 right after on the same ice and so forth till you get to the Novice 1s vs 2. He made it all the way up to the novice one group in that first day, playing all day. I played with him until midget, his stick was always way taller than me.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #617
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol. This is a kids show.

Are you expecting The Wire level writing for a show clearly made for small children?

Maybe it's not the show thats the issue here... haha.

Part of the villainy of the Ducks organization, is that they're not developmental, they're not fun, they win, and it ain't worth winning if you can't win big baby. If you're not good at hockey, its not our job to get you off of your ankles, that's someone elses job like the Hawks or the Cardinals, or the Flames.

Why bother with a minor league or lower league, they get 80 kids that probably try out and they take the top 20 and everyone else isn't worry. Why I bet they don't do the quack warmup chant anymore.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #618
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disney plus is quickly becoming my favorite streaming app just found its always sunny in Philadelphia I haven't actually watched the show before but the first episode was pretty funny
Old 04-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #619
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

SO the new Mighty Ducks is good. It's as corny as I want and expect. My boy and I have really enjoyed the first few episodes.

The tone is great.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #620
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Disney plus is quickly becoming my favorite streaming app just found its always sunny in Philadelphia I haven't actually watched the show before but the first episode was pretty funny
Nice, that's a new addition since it wasn't there when the Star content first launched. Only 8 seasons are on D+, though I imagine when the rights expire for whatever Canadian company has the rest of the seasons they'll show up on Disney+ as well
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: