Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #3881
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Venom: Let There Be Carnage

.... Not a good movie. I really wanted to like it but script was weak, acting was terrible, all the stuff that they somehow thought would be funny was not, I never laughed or even chuckled once. CGI was ok I guess, but overall I give it 1 1/2 symbiotes out of 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Ugh^
My boy gets to pick the movie this weekend and this is his choice.
It was OK, not great. They did what they needed to do (further develop Eddie and Venom) for their next step, which is in the post-credits scene (it's a biggie!).

I liked the first one much more.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #3882
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

All those superhero movies just seem like the same thing over and over and over again now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #3883
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Venom: Let There Be Carnage

.... Not a good movie. I really wanted to like it but script was weak, acting was terrible, all the stuff that they somehow thought would be funny was not, I never laughed or even chuckled once. CGI was ok I guess, but overall I give it 1 1/2 symbiotes out of 5.
That's why I really disliked Venom 2, the voice Tom Hardy did for the Venom character was ridiculous and annoying. And yes, the attempts at humor were cringey, absolutely terrible. I'm usually quite forgiving for superhero movies but this one annoyed the #### out of me.

House of Gucci tonight!
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:57 PM   #3884
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
All those superhero movies just seem like the same thing over and over and over again now.
Well giving all of the Spiderman movies a watch with my son, so that he has the full context when we see the new movie, Spiderman 2, peters teacher asserts that there is only 1 plot in all of narrative fiction. So I guess what it comes down to is all of these movies, all of them are the same thing over and over again. There's a protagonist who we are meant to identify with that faces challenges, then learns and grows to overcome the challenges learning more about themselves in the process (and almost every movie that is not described by this narrative structure sucks).

So this is a take, and you might not like a lot of the movies, but if you accept they are set within the bounds of a genre where a special hero will win a big fight, then look beyond those two key premises, they are doing a lot of interesting and different things.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:01 AM   #3885
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

House of Gucci far exceeded my expectations, great story, the trailer does it a disservice.

Have always thought Leto pretentious and unlikable, skirted on being ridiculous here but got away with it by being entertaining and funny. Starting to really like Adam Driver, best thing Pacino has done in years. Loved it.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:31 AM   #3886
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Well giving all of the Spiderman movies a watch with my son, so that he has the full context when we see the new movie, Spiderman 2, peters teacher asserts that there is only 1 plot in all of narrative fiction. So I guess what it comes down to is all of these movies, all of them are the same thing over and over again. There's a protagonist who we are meant to identify with that faces challenges, then learns and grows to overcome the challenges learning more about themselves in the process (and almost every movie that is not described by this narrative structure sucks).

So this is a take, and you might not like a lot of the movies, but if you accept they are set within the bounds of a genre where a special hero will win a big fight, then look beyond those two key premises, they are doing a lot of interesting and different things.
Sounds like a CJAY92 bit
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:29 AM   #3887
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
House of Gucci far exceeded my expectations, great story, the trailer does it a disservice.

Have always thought Leto pretentious and unlikable, skirted on being ridiculous here but got away with it by being entertaining and funny. Starting to really like Adam Driver, best thing Pacino has done in years. Loved it.
Interesting. It’s getting trashed by critics as a cheese fest with actors hamming it up. I also thought the trailer was bad but with Scott at the helm and a decent cast I figured it had a chance at being good.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #3888
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There's a lot of criticism coming out about Ghostbusters Afterlife from the likes of RLM and the other bitter old men talking heads and media critics.

I have never in my life had such a vehement disagreement with any of this criticism. They criticize it for monetizing nostalgia, they criticize it for trying to sell merchandise, etc.

I have never felt so incensed reading or seeing these negative reviews after seeing the movie myself tonight. This was probably the most emotional movie for me in decades. I grew up thumbing through the Ghostbusters II picture book in my elementary school library so many times I wore it out. I marvelled at the proton packs, neutrona wands, and slime throwers. I remember the first time I had any awakenings as a young child seeing the pictures of Sigourney Weaver in the book.

I remember being terribly sad when I was on a Cathay Pacific flight and my parents denied me from watching Ghostbusters which was the in-flight movie because they were Christian conservatives and that feeling has stuck with me for 30 years. That sparked me lifelong search for science and reason over religious paranoia.

Why is nostalgia a bad thing? It is literally getting the ability to be a child again. I loved all the designs of the costumes, the equipment, the cars. They were designed by artists trying to make interesting objects, not to sell toys - that's just an after effect.

I was enormously sad when Harold Ramis passed in 2014 as I grew up on on his comedy films as well as SCTV (did anybody catch the Catherine O'Hara cameo in Afterlife? I bet I was the only one). My childhood hero was not Luke Skywalker or Hulk Hogan, it was the nerdy guy in glasses - Egon Spengler. This movie is about the best send-off and tribute I could have ever imagined.

Ghostbusters and all the varied ideas in it was the epitome of my formative youth whether it was the books in the library (parents didn't let me watch the movies) or the Real Ghostbusters cartoon. I've not a super fan of the franchise in the way a Star Wars collector might be, but rather I'm a super fan of the collection of ideas and thought it sparked in me as a child.

This movie simply connects with everything that is me. If you didn't have these experiences growing up, then definitely I understand why nostalgia wouldn't hit the same way. However, my theatre was full of kids and I can imagine a ton of little girls wanting to go home and become scientists now because this movie might inspire them.
I have never watched Ghostbusters in my life and don't give a **** about any GB movie that comes out as an adult, but I thanked this post for the passion. That was really cool, and now I'm going to watch Afterlife literally because of this post, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #3889
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also...Ecto-1 goes down in the annals of history as one of the coolest movie cars ever.

Its up there with the Batmobile and the BTTF DeLorean.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #3890
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I have never watched Ghostbusters in my life and don't give a **** about any GB movie that comes out as an adult, but I thanked this post for the passion. That was really cool, and now I'm going to watch Afterlife literally because of this post, lol.
My God man...oddly enough in a way I am so envious of you. To be able to watch Ghostbusters for the first time?

Thats kind of cool.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #3891
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I would recommend maybe giving Ghostbusters (1984) a watch before going into this film as like I mentioned, the background and little nods everywhere are really very much based on that film. I guess that's why the big head critics were bemoaning it's "unoriginality". This is really a 40 years later sequel to the first film in every way.

It's actually a great family movie, it's extremely kid centric. For kids, it could inspire them and for adults, it would remind them of when they were kids and when you really believed in something but the adults around you wouldn't listen.

I definitely remember playing ghostbuster in the basement of all my friend's houses with the Real Ghostbusters toys and foam shooters etc. I just bought one of the Ghost Popper toys that was re-released for my cousin who's little daughter is in love with Ghostbusters recently. He told me his daughter wore out his childhood Ghost Popper from the 80s so the timing was perfect. Damn the irony when I said it wasn't about merchandising

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-27-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #3892
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Stick around for the last post-credits scene in Ghostbusters Afterlife (there are two) and you'll definitely recognize the Calgary Central Library!

Also, a big thanks to all the Citizens of Calgary in the listed credits.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-27-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #3893
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Interesting. It’s getting trashed by critics as a cheese fest with actors hamming it up. I also thought the trailer was bad but with Scott at the helm and a decent cast I figured it had a chance at being good.
It’s not getting “trashed”, but reviews are definitely mixed and not very positive. It is cheesy for sure, best description I saw was a “soap opera on cocaine”. I enjoyed the trailers and wasn’t disappointed by the film as it’s more style than substance. This isn’t Zodiac to be clear and if depictions of wealth and elitism are going to bother you definitely stay away.

Watched “King Richard” last night at home and really enjoyed it. There are fewer and fewer movies that our entire family will enjoy and this was one. My teens were really into it. Will Smith is a guaranteed nominee for best actor, just fantastic.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #3894
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

GB was great fun. I can see how it would get some criticism as they tried to pack a lot characters in and give them all screen time and it bounced around a bit but I still really enjoyed it. Must see for fans of the og GB.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #3895
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

GB afterlife was a good time. Enjoyed it a lot.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #3896
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you owned a retro movie theater what would be your first double feature? It's a question thats floating around film Twitter, I was thinking Blade Runner & Matrix would be an awesome double feature, but there are sooooo many.

So, if you owned The Globe what would you be putting out?
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #3897
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jaws and Alien
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #3898
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alien and Bladerunner.

What We Do In The Shadows and Napoleon Dynamite.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #3899
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #3900
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The Ten Commandments and Cleopatra.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote