Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #3721
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lamb was an experience.

Never seen anything like it, and confident I never will again. But glad I did.

A24 can just keep making awesome, atmospheric mind####y and I'll be here for it.
A24 are great... I bought the Green Knight (can't say I totally understood everything) but I thought it was fascinating... and looking through A24's catalogue, it is not only prolific, but wide in breadth.

The Lighthouse
The Farewell
Ex Machina
Under the Skin
Midsommar
It Comes at Night
Uncut Gems
Hereditary
The Disaster Artist
Ladybird
A Ghost Story
Moonlight
The Lobster
Room
High Life
The Witch

And these are only the ones I've watched or know of...

I was just reading about Hollywood desperately trying to find the next franchise, when I read about Disney spinning off Toy Story, but using a animated 'real life' Buzz Lightyear as the way of doing it....Now a "new" Wolfman is coming out...

Not sure I need to see another Batman, even though I love Matt Reeves' work...and same with Spiderman...

While I love Marvel, and am happy that there is an A24 out there, willing to take risks on odd, idiosyncratic films
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #3722
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
A24 are great... I bought the Green Knight (can't say I totally understood everything) but I thought it was fascinating... and looking through A24's catalogue, it is not only prolific, but wide in breadth.

The Lighthouse
The Farewell
Ex Machina
Under the Skin
Midsommar
It Comes at Night
Uncut Gems
Hereditary
The Disaster Artist
Ladybird
A Ghost Story
Moonlight
The Lobster
Room
High Life
The Witch

I was just reading about Hollywood desperately trying to find the next franchise, when I read about Disney spinning off Toy Story, but using a animated 'real life' Buzz Lightyear as the way of doing it....Now a "new" Wolfman is coming out...

Not sure I need to see another Batman, even though I love Matt Reeves' work...and same with Spiderman...

While I love Marvel, and am happy that there is an A24 out there, willing to take risks on odd, idiosyncratic films
So much love for A24.

Pumped out some of the riskiest, most visceral & beautiful features of recent times.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #3723
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

+1 for A24. Love most of their entries as I tend to like 'weird' or riskier movies, most of which my friends don't enjoy.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #3724
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I prefer A1 steak sauce.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #3725
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I watched the Witch last night. It was very good. Nice and creepy but lots of social commentary and lots to contemplate. I do love a morally ambiguous movie.
My wife and I watched the Witch on Saturday night. I really liked the blend of historical immersion, psychological horror, and the moral ambiguity you mention.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #3726
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the problem with this start of the new phase of Marvel is that there’s no big character(S) to kind of drive everything that we identify with. Was it going to be Spider-Man? Nope too bad, Sony wants all those $$$ back. Maybe Black Panther was the plan? We know what happened there sadly.

So instead we’re left with a bunch of new characters that aren’t quite hitting the same as Iron Man, Cpt. America and the rest did 13 years ago.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 11:40 PM   #3727
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

when I was checking out the A24 filmography, I noticed one on that list that I had sitting on my Netflix watchlist for a while - The Hole in the Ground.

I didn't realize it was an A24 release, but had it on my list only due to the description and the thumbnail...but assumed it was a B type paint by number horror film.

Anyways, definitely glad I finally watched it - while imperfect, it had A24's DNA and is something I would recommend to fans of A24.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:43 PM   #3728
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think the problem with this start of the new phase of Marvel is that there’s no big character(S) to kind of drive everything that we identify with. Was it going to be Spider-Man? Nope too bad, Sony wants all those $$$ back. Maybe Black Panther was the plan? We know what happened there sadly.

So instead we’re left with a bunch of new characters that aren’t quite hitting the same as Iron Man, Cpt. America and the rest did 13 years ago.
Marvel does have a couple of bullets in the chamber: The Fantastic Four and X-Men...

With the merger with 20th Century, I am expecting Marvel to reboot both of these series...the former connects well with the Avengers. X-Men may or may not depending on how they do things.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #3729
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:

The Lighthouse
The Farewell
Ex Machina
Under the Skin
Midsommar
It Comes at Night
Uncut Gems
Hereditary
The Disaster Artist
Ladybird
A Ghost Story
Moonlight
The Lobster
Room
High Life
The Witch

A hilariously weird movie! Colin Farrell is one of the most underrated actors IMO. Almost anything with him is great.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #3730
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the trailer for Lamb. I see it's got favorable reviews but it just looks so preposterous. I will wait until this one is free to watch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:55 AM   #3731
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lamb is playing at Canyon Meadows right now, want to go see it but I'm not sure if they're checking vaccine cards. I went last week and they didn't have anyone stationed at the door.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #3732
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Lighthouse
The Farewell
Ex Machina
Under the Skin
Midsommar
It Comes at Night
Uncut Gems
Hereditary
The Disaster Artist
Ladybird
A Ghost Story
Moonlight
The Lobster
Room
High Life
The Witch

If you liked Uncut Gems I would check out Good Time. It is the other A24 movie directed and written by the Safdie Brothers. It is also on Netflix.

It's a movie based on a bank robbery starring Robert Pattinson from 2017

92% RT Critics
81% RT Audience
7.4 IMDB
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #3733
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

Watched Supersize me 2 - you can guess the end about 2 minutes into it - It had some interesting and disturbing facts about the industry, but i didn't find it to be as impactful as the first movie. Spurlock was definitely a d*ck in the show - I didn't realize he had his own skeletons to reveal after metoo
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #3734
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

A24 films I’ve seen:

Spring Breakers - trash
The Rover - pretty good. Pretty pretty pretty good.
Tusk - FOH
The Witch - sooooo booooring
Green Room - overrated cause of captain Picard but not a terrible thriller
Free Fire - interesting concept, average execution
Slice - wanted to like it, can’t remember anything about it
Climax - *exaggerated masturbating hand movement*
Under the Silver Lake - very full of itself. Wants to be a cult classic. Makes me hate it
Saint Maud - yawn

It’s cool they try different stuff. The Green Knight is up next, hoping it’s weird and cool to look at at least.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #3735
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Eternals is the first Marvel movie I could see bombing, or at least as close as something coming from the Disney machine could come to bombing. Completely unknown characters to the general public, uninteresting casting, generic trailers, and now merely average reviews. I have zero interest in watching it as an MCU fan, and I don't think I'm alone. I probably will check it out once it hits Disney+ just to see how it ties in to the universe, but this will be the first MCU movie I don't make the trek to the theater for (aside from Black Widow, but that doesn't really count)
As someone who grew up on Marvel comics and really loves the MCU, I'm actually hoping that it bombs and the whole thing ends up dead and quickly removed from the MCU (in the seemingly inevitably approaching multiverse-collapsing big Avengers story if not sooner).

The Eternals are just a bad idea and a bunch of uninteresting characters. (Although obviously characters are the easiest thing to rewrite into something good.) Really almost all of this stuff, the cosmic side of Marvel stories, are varying levels of meh to terrible, and no I don't even think the ideas in them are that interesting.

I'm all for giving creators a chance to re-invent old ideas, but this one... The best version of the Eternals is very likely (going to remain) Neil Gaimans version, and even that version is mostly just "not terrible".

There's a reason most of it is poorly known and largely forgotten despite several of the best known creators in the field repeatedly trying to make them a thing for fifty years, and it's that

a) all this Chariots of the Gods crap began as cringy racist nonsense of white people explaining away the achievements of old non-white cultures with "actually they got help from the aliens" and it's really hard to make do anything good with that premise,
b) creation myths aren't really that interesting which is why they're typically short and vague instead of tons of detailed nonsense,
c) when it comes to superheroes, the successful ones already draw heavily from existing mythologies and cultural tropes, and re-explaining everything with an additional layer of made up mythology just makes everything more stupid and convoluted, and inevitably brings about tons of new continuity problems...

I could really go on.

I really wish the Eternals would just effing die. They only exist because Jack Kirby was really into Chariots of the Gods, and if you don't use them for that, which I think Marvel is smart enough to not do, well, they lose their only reason for existing.

...but since I'm a fanboy addict, I will still go see the movie in a theater. I just hope no one else does

/rant
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:42 PM   #3736
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
A hilariously weird movie! Colin Farrell is one of the most underrated actors IMO. Almost anything with him is great.
It was great. John C. Reilly's moment with the toaster was hysterical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
If you liked Uncut Gems I would check out Good Time. It is the other A24 movie directed and written by the Safdie Brothers. It is also on Netflix.

It's a movie based on a bank robbery starring Robert Pattinson from 2017

92% RT Critics
81% RT Audience
7.4 IMDB
yeah, actually I did see it, didn't notice it on the list...but great film and great career decision by Pattinson to get away from Twillight typecasting
Old 11-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #3737
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
As someone who grew up on Marvel comics and really loves the MCU, I'm actually hoping that it bombs and the whole thing ends up dead and quickly removed from the MCU (in the seemingly inevitably approaching multiverse-collapsing big Avengers story if not sooner).

The Eternals are just a bad idea and a bunch of uninteresting characters. (Although obviously characters are the easiest thing to rewrite into something good.) Really almost all of this stuff, the cosmic side of Marvel stories, are varying levels of meh to terrible, and no I don't even think the ideas in them are that interesting.

I'm all for giving creators a chance to re-invent old ideas, but this one... The best version of the Eternals is very likely (going to remain) Neil Gaimans version, and even that version is mostly just "not terrible".

There's a reason most of it is poorly known and largely forgotten despite several of the best known creators in the field repeatedly trying to make them a thing for fifty years, and it's that

a) all this Chariots of the Gods crap began as cringy racist nonsense of white people explaining away the achievements of old non-white cultures with "actually they got help from the aliens" and it's really hard to make do anything good with that premise,
b) creation myths aren't really that interesting which is why they're typically short and vague instead of tons of detailed nonsense,
c) when it comes to superheroes, the successful ones already draw heavily from existing mythologies and cultural tropes, and re-explaining everything with an additional layer of made up mythology just makes everything more stupid and convoluted, and inevitably brings about tons of new continuity problems...

I could really go on.

I really wish the Eternals would just effing die. They only exist because Jack Kirby was really into Chariots of the Gods, and if you don't use them for that, which I think Marvel is smart enough to not do, well, they lose their only reason for existing.

...but since I'm a fanboy addict, I will still go see the movie in a theater. I just hope no one else does

/rant
And for that reason, I hope it ends up on Disney + before spiderman so I don't have to go see it in theaters and pay money.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #3738
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

...I also realized that most people probably have no idea what I was talking about there...

So umm... You wan't to know what the Eternals are about?

You got more than an hour?

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #3739
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally I'm recommending a good movie but I watched The January Man and oh boy it's not good. The story is about a serial killer who is killing one woman a month and a cop who was kicked off the force who comes back to find him. The plot is full of coincidence and ludicrous plot holes, and magical 1980s computers. It's a shame because the cast is spectacular and it's from the same writer as Moonstruck (which is a far far far superior film).
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #3740
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
A24 films I’ve seen:

Spring Breakers - trash
The Rover - pretty good. Pretty pretty pretty good.
Tusk - FOH
The Witch - sooooo booooring
Green Room - overrated cause of captain Picard but not a terrible thriller
Free Fire - interesting concept, average execution
Slice - wanted to like it, can’t remember anything about it
Climax - *exaggerated masturbating hand movement*
Under the Silver Lake - very full of itself. Wants to be a cult classic. Makes me hate it
Saint Maud - yawn

It’s cool they try different stuff. The Green Knight is up next, hoping it’s weird and cool to look at at least.
Maybe the worst takes on A24 movies I've ever seen
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote