Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #221
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tomorrow will be the first day of revenue service for the new LRT cars, including the new seating arrangement. For now, just one train will be in service on weekdays and weekends. I believe it will serve the 201 - South/Northwest line. We will see more coming online though over the next few months as new cars arrive, are prepared, tested, and commissioned, and drivers are trained.

For those who don't remember from the first page, this is what they will look like.

Exterior:

New Seating Arrangement:

Video:

frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #222
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do like the fact that those cars cater to the fact that there are probably twice as many people standing and are designed so that more than 1 person can stand in the isle betwee the row of seats.

It has probably been brought up before but how much higher is the expected capacity compare to the old cars ( and the old-old cars with seating facing each other)
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #223
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I do like the fact that those cars cater to the fact that there are probably twice as many people standing and are designed so that more than 1 person can stand in the isle betwee the row of seats.

It has probably been brought up before but how much higher is the expected capacity compare to the old cars ( and the old-old cars with seating facing each other)
The old U2s (1981-1990, knee-to-knee arrangement) and the older series of SD160 (2001-present, knee-to-back arrangement) have roughly the same capacity, with the SD160 maybe being able to fit marginally more.

From what I've heard, the newest series of SD160 (Series 8, perimeter seating), may have as much as a 10% improvement in capacity over previous models, while only losing something like 4 seats per car. It's just a much more efficient arrangement, mostly due to the aisles actually being navigable.

Last edited by frinkprof; 12-19-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #224
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
The old U2s (1981-1990, knee-to-knee arrangement) and the older series of SD160 (2001-present, knee-to-back arrangement) have roughly the same capacity, with the SD160 maybe being able to fit marginally more.

From what I've heard, the newest series of SD160 (Series 8, perimeter seating), may have as much as a 10% improvement in capacity over previous models, while only losing something like 4 seats per car. It's just a much more efficient arrangement, mostly due to the aisles actually being navigable.
For sure.

Right now if you are getting off right as you get into downtown during morning rush hour, good luck getting out of your seat and getting to the door unless you start a stop early.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #225
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Martindale Station:

Saddletowne Station:

You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #226
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Video:
The video seemed to suggest that the new higher capacity cars would be used mainly on the west line, which seems ridiculous, as that line is likely to have the lowest ridership, at least initially.

Can I assume they are actually just using them throughout the system, and buying them because they need more train cars after the west expansion? Northwest/South is over capacity during rush hour, so an extra 10% would make a big difference.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #227
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Yeah. The order of more cars was prompted by the West line as well as the Tuscany and Saddletowne extensions. However, they will be used throughout the system. I've always figured they'd be used moreso on the South/NW line due to more capacity strains there.

Anyway, they should be out there now. Keep an eye out for them.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #228
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Am I the only one concerned about the amount of crotch/ass the seated passengers are going to be getting? I hate getting an aisle seat on the knee-to-knee trains because I always end up uncomfortably close to people's action.

Another issue that I know will sound strangely anti-social, but I hate looking at people when I'm on the train. Not totally sure why, but I just don't like it. I love the front facing or rear facing seats. Not being able to look out a window is a bit of a drawback for me.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #229
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Am I the only one concerned about the amount of crotch/ass the seated passengers are going to be getting? I hate getting an aisle seat on the knee-to-knee trains because I always end up uncomfortably close to people's action.

Another issue that I know will sound strangely anti-social, but I hate looking at people when I'm on the train. Not totally sure why, but I just don't like it. I love the front facing or rear facing seats. Not being able to look out a window is a bit of a drawback for me.
wow you want everything for $2.75

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #230
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

No interior shots or anything, but here's a quick video of them in service this morning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The tendency I've seen in bigger city metros (many of which use this seating configuration) is that most people will avoid eye contact by looking at the floor, off to the side, etc. Seems most people are like you and avoid eye contact however they can, even in more packed environments where your face is in someone's armpit, etc.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #231
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I can't get over how many people don't want to spend 99 cents on an application. NINETY NINE CENTS! That isn't even worth thinking about unless you can't do your paper route anymore because you wrecked your bike.
I work hard for my money.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #232
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
wow you want everything for $2.75
I'm just a strangely particular person about certain things. I'm kind of like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory in a lot of ways. I often go out of my way to have my transit experience go a preferred direction. One such factor that I enjoy is having a window seat so I can only have one person invading my personal space. I'm able to deal with one person who doesn't understand that your don't need to snuggle to ride the train, but having one on each side is going to be a little much.

I love the forward facing seats. Love them. Wish they would have purchased more of those and just replaced the old ones, but I understand the need to move more people.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #233
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I work hard for my money.
Bus, magic bus...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #234
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Wo...117/story.html

Woman raped while sleeping at Heritage LRT station: Police New security cameras credited for I.D.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #235
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

Woman raped while sleeping at Heritage LRT station: Police New security cameras credited for I.D.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #236
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The best part about that article is how all the comments have been removed.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #237
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

Tragic that it happened, but this is an extremely rare case to happen in this city. Thank goodness these little punks were quickly apprehended.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #238
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tomorrow will be the first day of revenue service for the new LRT cars, including the new seating arrangement. For now, just one train will be in service on weekdays and weekends. I believe it will serve the 201 - South/Northwest line. We will see more coming online though over the next few months as new cars arrive, are prepared, tested, and commissioned, and drivers are trained.
Will these new cars be mixed in with the old ones? Or will it always be 3 new cars per train?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #239
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Tragic that it happened, but this is an extremely rare case to happen in this city. Thank goodness these little punks were quickly apprehended.
Indeed, but definitely not the only case:

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../13571586.html
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #240
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Will these new cars be mixed in with the old ones? Or will it always be 3 new cars per train?
No. They will be run by themselves.

There's four groups of LRVs, as far as technical specifications go:

- Original U2s (83 units, 3 of which have been retired). These run on DC power and generally run only with each other.

- AC demo U2s (2 units). These run on AC power and Calgary Transit mechanics rewrote the control system software so that they can be run either with each other or with SD160 units. You will sometimes see a 3 car train that is either these 2 plus an SD160 or two SD160s and one of these two units.

- SD160s (72 units). These run on AC power and run either with each other or sometimes with the 2 AC U2 units.

- SD160 series 8 (38 units on order). These are the brand new ones. Due to having a different coupling system, they will run with each other. However, it is thought that they might run with the older SD160s once in awhile, with the new SD160 being run as the middle car in the train. That probably won't happen for awhile though, if ever.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings