Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default PDF Questions

So, not sure if an actual PDF is the right option, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I am looking for a way to take a document where most fields are filled in with information, and also some fields that NEED to be filled in and serve that document up to 20 people at once. Everyone has the ability to read/write at the same time. So basically shared access with realtime editing similar to what Google Docs does.

The kicker is I was hoping to do this using a PDF or Excel file, and without going to the cloud.

Any ideas? I have the document, we use it, but we use it in paper form. I want to take that paper form and make it digital and shared.

Not even sure where to start looking. Everything points toward a cloud form service which I don't like. A PDF file can do everything I want plus more, but I can't share it easily.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Everything points toward a cloud form service which I don't like. A PDF file can do everything I want plus more, but I can't share it easily.
Do you want to share it, or do you not want to share it? Because somewhere along the line you're going to need some central file location to which everyone has access and can edit it from. Call it "the cloud" or call it something else, it is what it is.

In the last 18 months my office has started using Bluebeam Revu and Bluebeam Studio, which I've found a hell of a lot more powerful than Acrobat (and makes Apple Preview on my laptop at home look like simplistic crap...). Studio allows for multiple users to work on it, and all the changes to be tracked, but it is fundamentally "the cloud".
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Do you want to share it, or do you not want to share it? Because somewhere along the line you're going to need some central file location to which everyone has access and can edit it from. Call it "the cloud" or call it something else, it is what it is.

In the last 18 months my office has started using Bluebeam Revu and Bluebeam Studio, which I've found a hell of a lot more powerful than Acrobat (and makes Apple Preview on my laptop at home look like simplistic crap...). Studio allows for multiple users to work on it, and all the changes to be tracked, but it is fundamentally "the cloud".
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes I absolutely want to share it. I understand the part about the central file location. My issue is I don't know what file format, service, etc would actually work best. It is easy enough to make a PDF document, harder to get it setup in such a way where you can do real time sharing, multiple users with edit capability or even real only mode, etc.

I have worked with Blue Beam, however it seems really expensive for what we want to do. The document I want to share is not complex by any means. Basically fields that are fillable, and some others to check off what is done, etc.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote