Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #241
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the first time I saw the replay, Dumb_a better be suspended.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #242
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gents, just got home from the game. Damn that was fun. We are legit. Someone tell me how great the "ref you suck" chant was on tv after that no call on Backs? Could you hear it? #### those refs. Super fun game to go to!
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeoRock For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #243
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I don't think Dumba had malicious intent, like you said, making a hockey play but not sure how you see Backs getting hit in the chest at all. He was leaning over and made himself vulnerable but his head was out in front of his body, there was literally no way Dumba could have hit his chest at the same time.
40 seconds left when your down 2-0, yeah...he was trying to take his head off. Otherwise why make the hit?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #244
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I don't think Dumba had malicious intent, like you said, making a hockey play but not sure how you see Backs getting hit in the chest at all. He was leaning over and made himself vulnerable but his head was out in front of his body, there was literally no way Dumba could have hit his chest at the same time.
Actually, Shoulder hit head first. That video is super smooth on the dragging of the video bar. At slow mo replay speed I had a hard time telling, but yes, shoulder hit head first.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #245
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

This team feels special... can beat you any which way
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #246
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to agree with 40 seconds left down by 2 it was a cheapshot to send a message.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 PM   #247
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Filthy hit at the end of a game. The game management of the refs was atrocious tonight. So many garbage calls and missed penalties keeping the Wild in it.
Folks really need to get over the refs. It's going to be bad. Get used to it. All the Flames have done so far is play through and they're still winning. The best middle finger to bad reffing is to make it irrelevant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #248
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say though that Wild fans have a right to be pissed if Koivu is hurt as well. I know Gio didn't intend to trip/knee him, but that was sloppy and bad judgement on his part.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #249
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure if it was an intentional head shot, but it ended up being a head shot... unless dumba has a history of this, i don't think he gets suspended...but who knows with the NHL discipline...

Peters deserves a ton of credit... amazing how good this team looks. 5th overall? pretty amazing considering the goalies not being particularly great early
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #250
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Actually, Shoulder hit head first. That video is super smooth on the dragging of the video bar. At slow mo replay speed I had a hard time telling, but yes, shoulder hit head first.

Yeah if you freeze it at the 9 second mark can see Backlund is leaning forward on an angle, head in line with his spine on an angle. Dumba hits it and it snaps back so quickly and then he finishes through the chest that it almost looks to happen at once, but for me the head was pretty clearly the first place he got hit.

Backlund made himself vulnerable but for me the whole thing leaves a sour taste, the Flames are walking along to an easy finish, should have been an empty netter and instead they lose their best defensive forward for 4-6 weeks in all probability in a nothing moment. Lets hope that isn't the case but geez I'd be surprised if that wasn't a concussion.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #251
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and welcome back Smith. I hope this game brings his confidence back and he can run with it. He was solid tonight.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #252
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have to say though that Wild fans have a right to be pissed if Koivu is hurt as well. I know Gio didn't intend to trip/knee him, but that was sloppy and bad judgement on his part.
Gio had a chip on his shoulder before the puck dropped. He looked angry all game. Seriously, they were focusing on him on the bench at game start and he already had a crazed look in his eye. Took two undisciplined penalties tonight. Rare for the man. EDIT: I don't know what he has against Zucker but they don't like each other much.

Last edited by dammage79; 12-06-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #253
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah agreed, wish that didn't happen. Gio had both legs way out from his body, he was in a real wide stance and I don't think he intended to knee on knee him, he just didn't move and let Koivu burn by him but it was a bit iffy.

I don't see him getting suspended given the call on the ice but as has been said, NHL justice and officiating is terribly inconsistent so hard to know.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #254
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know how Fro is coming along? Timetable? If Backs is out we could use him.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #255
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, not a malicious hit, or that dirty.

Backlund had his head tucked into his chest trying to find and control the puck, while skating out across the ice into open ice, and the Wild had an extra player on said ice, which Backlund could’ve forgotten. Dumba has to step up and prevent him from skating out if the zone. Backlund never saw it coming, but that is not Dumbas fault either. If it had to be slowed down in reply to analyze, and Dumba hits Backlund in the upper chest where Backlund still had his head, leaving himself prone for that, tough to call that malicious. If it was from the side or along the boards or he gets and elbow up while Backlund is upright, that’s one thing, but that wasn’t this.

And TBQH, good for Lomberg, but my test for a lot of plays that fans get up in arms about (is offside, Staal saw it right away, JG didn’t argue) is how the players in the action react, and the guys on the ice immediately after didn’t react like it was a dirty hit either. It was a hard hit to a guy who cut across the open ice with his head (way too)down.

Last edited by browna; 12-06-2018 at 11:41 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #256
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Anyone know how Fro is coming along? Timetable? If Backs is out we could use him.
Havent heard Squat. I don't think he's even skating at this point. Once you hear he's been skating again, then tack on a week or two after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #257
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
Gents, just got home from the game. Damn that was fun. We are legit. Someone tell me how great the "ref you suck" chant was on tv after that no call on Backs? Could you hear it? #### those refs. Super fun game to go to!
Loud and clear.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #258
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, and welcome back Smith. I hope this game brings his confidence back and he can run with it. He was solid tonight.
Yes. Smith has had awful games, easy saves that are over celebrated, reasonable goals that are demonized, but tonight? Awesome saves.

One he had to make early due to his own cough up, but it was a beauty recovery. He had a few really great saves.

Two low wide blockers, and one glove side upper arm that was frickin awesome
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #259
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Gio had a chip on his shoulder before the puck dropped. He looked angry all game. Seriously, they were focusing on him on the bench at game start and he already had a crazed look in his eye. Took two undisciplined penalties tonight. Rare for the man. EDIT: I don't know what he has against Zucker but they don't like each other much.
Zucker tried to run him into the net as they skated behind it.
Then he dove after both got up from that skirmish to draw a call. Gio didn’t like that and took to Zucker the rest of the game.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #260
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

throw a hit like that and then turtle dumba? ***** move.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote