Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #261
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son's varsity high school hockey team lost their Friday night game 8-1.

They had a 1-0 lead in the second period. The opposing team took a 5 minute major and on the ensuing 5 minute power play, the other team scored 7 short handed goals.

I have never seen anything like it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #262
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just needed more room on the ice I guess!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #263
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I won't comment on the other aspects but in terms of elite hockey, it would significantly impact NWCAA and Royals.
And by extension I would say the same for Airdrie / Okotoks (whichever draw zone the Springbank kids would be assigned to.)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #264
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
My son's varsity high school hockey team lost their Friday night game 8-1.

They had a 1-0 lead in the second period. The opposing team took a 5 minute major and on the ensuing 5 minute power play, the other team scored 7 short handed goals.

I have never seen anything like it.
I am assuming the next practice will focus on the PK
Old 02-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #265
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am assuming the next practice will focus on the PK
It was the PP that allowed 7 shorthanded goals!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #266
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ doh, i meant to say PP......anyways, that has got to be some kind of record. impressive enough scoring 7 in 5 minutes, nevermind them being shorties
Old 02-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #267
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last weekend of regular season for my son’s midget aa team.

Playoffs start next weekend and to my surprise they are three game series.

Hockey tryouts got going on the labour day weekend, hard to imagine it getting that close to the end - although I should note that for the teams that make it to the provincials,they will play until almos the end of March.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #268
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Here is a map of some of the proposed boundary changes in Calgary. The first few pages are dedicated to the Springbank-Glenlake-Trailswest area, but the last page shows the whole city. They are proposing to create a new association on the West side of the city, the last link is an open letter of opposition from the executives of these clubs to Hockey Calgary.

Map: http://springbankhockey.com/files/ma..._proposals.pdf

HC Slides: http://springbankhockey.com/files/bo...-_dec_2018.pdf

Letter: http://springbankhockey.com/files/jo...an_23_2019.pdf

EDIT: The opposition seems to be related to wanting to keep associations large so that Tier 1 teams can be competitive provincially. They should just move Peewee AA into the existing quadrant system, which is consistent with what is done outside the city (e.g. SCAHL.).
Interesting changes for sure. Looks like a new association will more rhan likely be in place. Has anyone seen any proposed changes for the south end of the city? I’m in the south and interested in seeing what has been talked about.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #269
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Interesting changes for sure. Looks like a new association will more rhan likely be in place. Has anyone seen any proposed changes for the south end of the city? I’m in the south and interested in seeing what has been talked about.
A bunch of options have been discussed, are you south east or south west? What association?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #270
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
A bunch of options have been discussed, are you south east or south west? What association?
BV. Thats why I’m interested. One change I heard us maybe losing a community.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #271
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This might be an unpopular suggestion but maybe Hockey Calgary should boot Springbank out of the organization and make them play in Hockey Alberta with the likes of Cochrane, Airdrie, Okotoks, etc.

Maybe realignment might be easier/better done without Springbank.
Central Alberta Hockey League. They would need more ice as the games are 3 20s and not what is played in Calgary.

AA would be different though as it's a different league called South Central Alberta Hockey League and they draw from multiple communities in the rural centers, not like how Peewee AA is done (or so I have been led to believe) in Calgary.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #272
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Central Alberta Hockey League. They would need more ice as the games are 3 20s and not what is played in Calgary.

AA would be different though as it's a different league called South Central Alberta Hockey League and they draw from multiple communities in the rural centers, not like how Peewee AA is done (or so I have been led to believe) in Calgary.
"Rural" PeeWee AA teams are hub teams, (think quadrant hockey at Bantam and Midget) players from different minor hockey associations within certain geographical boundaries. .

No rural community has the PeeWee aged hockey playing population to support an AA program.

If you don't make your designate Hub team you get one shot at another team.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #273
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
"Rural" PeeWee AA teams are hub teams, (think quadrant hockey at Bantam and Midget) players from different minor hockey associations within certain geographical boundaries. .

No rural community has the PeeWee aged hockey playing population to support an AA program.

If you don't make your designate Hub team you get one shot at another team.
Correct.

My son has played in CAHL for a number of years, until this year where we did Super League. We anticipate going back to Hockey Alberta next year.

I know Airdrie is a hub and pulls from around for two AA Peewee teams, but they would be (or should be) able to ice a team with just their own kids. If you speak to many Airdrie parents, they believe Hockey Alberta treats them unfairly and they should only have one team. That's a whole other discussion, however.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #274
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct.

My son has played in CAHL for a number of years, until this year where we did Super League. We anticipate going back to Hockey Alberta next year.

I know Airdrie is a hub and pulls from around for two AA Peewee teams, but they would be (or should be) able to ice a team with just their own kids. If you speak to many Airdrie parents, they believe Hockey Alberta treats them unfairly and they should only have one team. That's a whole other discussion, however.
I really don't consider Airdrie as "rural".

I suspect Airdrie has to have two teams becuase of the number of players they have registered in their Hub area.

I was thinking hubs like, Sylvan, Lacombe, Olds, for example. All smaller populations that pull from around them.

BTW, why are you leaving the Super League?

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 02-19-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: question
Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #275
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I really don't consider Airdrie as "rural".

I suspect Airdrie has to have two teams becuase of the number of players they have registered in their Hub area.

I was thinking hubs like, Sylvan, Lacombe, Olds, for example. All smaller populations that pull from around them.
Correct on why Airdrie has two teams. They did allegedly petition Hockey Alberta to have one team this year due to losing the majority of their strong 07 kids to Superleague this year and were rejected.

I agree they are not rural in the same sense as the other communities you listed.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #276
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct on why Airdrie has two teams. They did allegedly petition Hockey Alberta to have one team this year due to losing the majority of their strong 07 kids to Superleague this year and were rejected.

I agree they are not rural in the same sense as the other communities you listed.
You may have missed my Edit.

Why are you leaving the Super league?

Quote:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #277
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I assume my son will make Peewee AA next year so there is no need to travel to Calgary and Beiseker for practices whereas Olds is 10 minutes north.

We did HSL this year as I was suspecting he would be a last cut as a first year. There is only one or two first year kids on the AA club this year.

HSL has been much better competition for my son than Tier 1 CAHL would have been. I ran a holiday 3on3 for our team to fundraise and so HSL fee wise for me has been the same cost as community, and saved trying out in Airdrie. Our HSL decision had to be made in the spring, far before the tryout process began for AA clubs.

I hope that doesn't make me sound arrogant. That's not my intent. A small part of me wants him to stay in HSL as I've enjoyed our weekends off. If he stayed with his HSL team, he would also enter Bantam Prep (modified contact - no open ice hits) next year as an underage. He's got size to him.

Most importantly though, my son wants to tryout for AA this year. Last year he wanted to do HSL. Largely, I leave it up to him.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #278
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume my son will make Peewee AA next year so there is no need to travel to Calgary and Beiseker for practices whereas Olds is 10 minutes north.

We did HSL this year as I was suspecting he would be a last cut as a first year. There is only one or two first year kids on the AA club this year.

HSL has been much better competition for my son than Tier 1 CAHL would have been. I ran a holiday 3on3 for our team to fundraise and so HSL fee wise for me has been the same cost as community, and saved trying out in Airdrie. Our HSL decision had to be made in the spring, far before the tryout process began for AA clubs.

I hope that doesn't make me sound arrogant. That's not my intent. A small part of me wants him to stay in HSL as I've enjoyed our weekends off. If he stayed with his HSL team, he would also enter Bantam Prep (modified contact - no open ice hits) next year as an underage. He's got size to him.

Most importantly though, my son wants to tryout for AA this year. Last year he wanted to do HSL. Largely, I leave it up to him.
Do what you feel is best for your son.

I hope it works out.

I was just wondering as I haven't heard any feedback on the HSL. I know a few families that did it but haven't had the chance to speak to them.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #279
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Saw 2 spectators get tossed the other night from my son’s hockey game. They were beaking about the refs only calling penalties on one player (his 3rd time in the box and he was getting pissy in the box). Needless to say the ref stopped the game and wouldn’t start it until they left. He had to stop the game again when he saw them trying to sneak back in.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #280
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Saw 2 spectators get tossed the other night from my son’s hockey game. They were beaking about the refs only calling penalties on one player (his 3rd time in the box and he was getting pissy in the box). Needless to say the ref stopped the game and wouldn’t start it until they left. He had to stop the game again when he saw them trying to sneak back in.
Good for that ref for doing this. I've seen it happen once or twice in the combined 22 seasons my kids played so it doesn't happen often. A buddy said the ref tossed everybody at his daughter's lacrosse game a few years ago. The entire group of parents and spectators - gone.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: