Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #141
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

A better choice to go for might be the V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone. Seem to be built like a beast with its only cons being aimed towards bass heavy music resulting in some muddled mids and highs. Tempting for myself but can't get a consensus whether they're particularly tight or not.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #142
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't like the Mile Davis set at all. Not enough bass, I guess I am a Bass Head? But the detail is out of this world. Listened to Mezzanine again and discovered lots of nuance I did not know was there. But the bass is just to subtle (not muddy though, I guess thats a plus).

I really like the Turbines. They are my everyday headset now (I spend 9 hours a day connected to these things - phone/music). I went back and listened to a ton of jazz Miles Davis and hard bop and I prefer these to the Davis set.

HD518, less detail than the Monsters, and open ear so everyone hears what you do. Will give them to my dad.

Shocked at how good the Monster in ears headphones are. It was a fun experiment.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #143
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check these out. CEO is hard to take, but product looks intriguing.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ms-made-in-usa
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #144
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So my wife has adopted my Sennheiser on ear noise cancelling headphones, which means I need something new.

I want over the ear ones this time, though. How important is it to have active noise cancelling? Do the ones without powered noise cancelling block out most of the noise anyway?

Also, I'd like them to be cordless, but have the option to plug a 3.5mm jack into them if they run out of power so I can still listen to them. Does such an animal exist?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #145
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So my wife has adopted my Sennheiser on ear noise cancelling headphones, which means I need something new.

I want over the ear ones this time, though. How important is it to have active noise cancelling? Do the ones without powered noise cancelling block out most of the noise anyway?

Also, I'd like them to be cordless, but have the option to plug a 3.5mm jack into them if they run out of power so I can still listen to them. Does such an animal exist?
Hope you've got a good budget

How important ANC is depends on how you're using them. Personally I think the whole concept is overrated. The passive noise cancelling I get from the a well-fitting set of IEMs is, overall, as good as any ANC I've tried (except the QC15s).

Where ANC is excellent is while traveling. No ANC can completely cut out all sounds in real-time. There's a predictive aspect to the technology that makes it great at cutting out persistent mechanical noises, like the low drone of jets or most distractions on a train, but great isolation still trumps ANC in a lot of areas.

That said - really great isolation isn't that easy to come by in circumaurals (if you really need over-ears).

If you need BT and cabled, ANC, and over-ear, your options are going to be very limited (and pricey). I'd give the Phiaton MS 530s a serious look (you can order from headphonebar).
If you don't need ANC I'd look at the Sony MDR-1BTs - they're one of the more popular BT sets (I thought they had an ANC model but I can't find it).

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #146
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks a lot for the great reply, Mick.

I guess I don't really love how my original criteria limits my options so dramatically.

ANC is important to me - not for everyday use necessarily, but because I want to have these for a good decade or two and there should be a few plane trips in there.

Maybe bluetooth is the feature I should give up. It's probably the main feature that would date them prematurely, anyway. Do you have any recommendations if I just stick with ANC and over the ear?

Budget isn't that much of a concern, but I'd rather keep it under $200. I can be patient on this purchase, so can always wait for a crazy deal on an even more expensive pair, too. Is there something blowing everything else out of the water at this point?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #147
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here is a decent headphone buying guide that might help.http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

This thread is decent too:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1

Last edited by J Diddy; 02-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #148
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the great reply, Mick.

I guess I don't really love how my original criteria limits my options so dramatically.

ANC is important to me - not for everyday use necessarily, but because I want to have these for a good decade or two and there should be a few plane trips in there.

Maybe bluetooth is the feature I should give up. It's probably the main feature that would date them prematurely, anyway. Do you have any recommendations if I just stick with ANC and over the ear?

Budget isn't that much of a concern, but I'd rather keep it under $200. I can be patient on this purchase, so can always wait for a crazy deal on an even more expensive pair, too. Is there something blowing everything else out of the water at this point?
I'd check out Audio-Technica's offerings - they've got a couple of sub-$200-ANC over-ears, and their ANC tech is generally thought to be second only to Bose's. I don't have direct experience with any of their ANC headphones but my passive Audio Technica ATH-M50s are brilliant headphones.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #149
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

What about good solid sounding, durable bluetooth headphones for the gym.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #150
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks, Mick. You gave me a bunch of great advice, then I just went sideways and bought something totally random.

$79 (plus shipping and duty) for some Monoprice-branded over-the-ear Bluetooth headphones: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2.

I ordered them on Friday and received them on Monday, which is insanely fast for Monoprice (you can choose DHL as the shipper now and they're so fast compared to UPS for the same price).

Anyway, I've only had last night to play with them, but I think I made the right call in choosing Bluetooth over ANC. It's really cool listening to headphones sans wires, and just the passive noise cancelling nature of OTE headphones blocks out a ton of noise. These headphones also have a micro SD slot that can play .mp3 and .wma files which would be a cool way to save battery on your phone on a trip or something.

As for the sound quality, it seems pretty decent, but I don't have a lot of experience with listening to different headphones so I can't compare them in any really meaningful way. They definitely sound 10x better than the buds that came with my iPhone or S3, but maybe that goes without saying for OTE. Straight up, you'd have to have pretty crazy expectations to be disappointed in what you get for such a great price on these. Check out the reviews on Monoprice, though, as most people that know more than I do seem to like them as well.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #151
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Don't like the Mile Davis set at all. Not enough bass, I guess I am a Bass Head? But the detail is out of this world. Listened to Mezzanine again and discovered lots of nuance I did not know was there. But the bass is just to subtle (not muddy though, I guess thats a plus).

I really like the Turbines. They are my everyday headset now (I spend 9 hours a day connected to these things - phone/music). I went back and listened to a ton of jazz Miles Davis and hard bop and I prefer these to the Davis set.

HD518, less detail than the Monsters, and open ear so everyone hears what you do. Will give them to my dad.

Shocked at how good the Monster in ears headphones are. It was a fun experiment.
Finally had a chance to do a side-by-side between the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and the Monster Miles Davis Trumpets.

Were you comparing the Trumpets against the MTP Golds or MTP Coppers?

If you're comparing against the Coppers I'd tend to say you tried a bad set or weren't listening to a broken-in pair (or maybe just a bad seal?). The sound signature of the MTPC and MMDT's are very similar - to my ears the Trumpets have slightly more detail and extension in the bass, a bit more pronounced mids and smoother highs. Bass-quantity-wise I'd be hard pressed to find much difference between the Coppers & Trumpets though.

The Golds definitely have more quantity in the bass though.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of these sets. The Coppers & Trumpets often go on sale under $200 which makes them a steal. I'm just glad the Beats line hasn't scared people away from Monster altogether - everyone I've seen try out anything from the Turbine/MD IEM line has been pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #152
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, Mick. You gave me a bunch of great advice, then I just went sideways and bought something totally random.

$79 (plus shipping and duty) for some Monoprice-branded over-the-ear Bluetooth headphones: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2.

I ordered them on Friday and received them on Monday, which is insanely fast for Monoprice (you can choose DHL as the shipper now and they're so fast compared to UPS for the same price).

Anyway, I've only had last night to play with them, but I think I made the right call in choosing Bluetooth over ANC. It's really cool listening to headphones sans wires, and just the passive noise cancelling nature of OTE headphones blocks out a ton of noise. These headphones also have a micro SD slot that can play .mp3 and .wma files which would be a cool way to save battery on your phone on a trip or something.

As for the sound quality, it seems pretty decent, but I don't have a lot of experience with listening to different headphones so I can't compare them in any really meaningful way. They definitely sound 10x better than the buds that came with my iPhone or S3, but maybe that goes without saying for OTE. Straight up, you'd have to have pretty crazy expectations to be disappointed in what you get for such a great price on these. Check out the reviews on Monoprice, though, as most people that know more than I do seem to like them as well.
So, what I'm taking from this is that your wife is now the proud owner of a Sennheiser set, and you're the proud owner of a Monoprice set.

Seriously though, that set of features in a sub-$100 set is a great deal.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #153
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Bump...looking for some decent over the ear (but not on the ear) headphones to use at work with my iPod. Budgeting around $150 max, and while I've seen reviews naming a few (Sony MDR 7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50S), the reviews are also a couple years so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything newer that might be better.

I read the last few pages of this thread but the prices tend to be higher than what I'm looking for right now. Any suggestions though? Thanks!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #154
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Bump...looking for some decent over the ear (but not on the ear) headphones to use at work with my iPod. Budgeting around $150 max, and while I've seen reviews naming a few (Sony MDR 7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50S), the reviews are also a couple years so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything newer that might be better.

I read the last few pages of this thread but the prices tend to be higher than what I'm looking for right now. Any suggestions though? Thanks!

I have the audio technica m50's. My favorite by far, best headphones I've owned actually, but they need power. On my ipod, I have the volume cranked and it's comfortable, but it's not drowning out any sound, if I want to go louder I can't. I use them exclusively for making and mixing music but I also have the power to amplify them.

I'm not a huge beats fan but I got the studio's online at visions for $150, and I actually like them. I went in with low expectations, and was pleasantry surprised. Wouldn't get them for $300, but $150 I'm ok with. Plus being powered I have more headroom listening on them.

Here's a link to the sale.

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...=BTOVSTUDIORED
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #155
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Does everything in the $150 range need an amplifier?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #156
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought the M50s and DT770 in 2011 both for around $180. Now it looks like the M50s are around $150 which seems reasonable, but I can't find the DT770 for anything less than $200? WTF happened?

I can vouch M50s are great headphones. I think it's definitely one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. They're better than the HD280 for sure (which I own too) and though it's about $40 price difference (off hand checking of prices) I would say pony up the extra money for the M50s.

I know someone who owned a set of beats studios (I never tried them, I can't comment) and owned them side by side with the M50s. Subjective to him, he sold the beats and kept the M50s because the beats were heavier and gave him a sore neck after using them for extended period of time/made his ears uncomfortable. However, it looks like the beats were revised and are now lighter than the M50s?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #157
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does everything in the $150 range need an amplifier?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Err... not that I am aware of? Depends whether you think you need them. I mean some amps are smaller than altoids cans and some nearly twice the size as a standard deck of playing cards. Some people claim the sound is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, but I personally get along fine without it. An amp does help and I do own one, but I personally don't use it as I find the quality without an amp is negligible in comparison to the inconvenience of carrying one. I haven't used an iPod in a long time so I don't know what the output is capable of, but I don't believe you would have a ridiculously difficult time with powering headphones. I noticed that the M50s are sold at Bestbuy, does anyone know if there are a pair in a showcase or something that can be tested?

Most people I believe would merely be surprised that they have to have their volume setting higher to hear anything. It's stated that your headphones won't be performing at their full potential without enough power. Certain amps like the Fiio e6 is just barely the size of a box of matches and I personally still find it a bit annoying to use. Sound with the amp is for sure louder though and arguably nicer (sorta has a change in sound like EQ settings).

Keep in mind that you have to burn in headphones when you buy them. I personally think the first 1-2 hours is the weirdest sound and after about 10 hours it's usually pretty close. Just plug your headphones in a jack with music playlist playing overnight and usually it'll be as burned is as need be by the time you wake up.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-06-2014 at 10:52 PM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #158
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
There's some pretty good deals in there. The Monster Inspiration headphones are heavily discounted right now, anything I should be aware of with them? They seem to review well and being $100 right now seems like a steal.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #159
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There's some pretty good deals in there. The Monster Inspiration headphones are heavily discounted right now, anything I should be aware of with them? They seem to review well and being $100 right now seems like a steal.
I don't know much about monster.

I agree with DoubleF, as they break in the sound should improve, for me I find the sound tightens up a bit, especially the low end.

I checked the M50's at best buy and they seem to be more the consumer model which might be better for consumer products. They have a lower impedance then the ones I have so they may require less power. Best buy has them at 38 Ohm. The ones I got are 80 Ohm. I have a pair of AKG's that are 600 Ohm and I plug them into an ipod and it sounds like a whisper. Might not be 100% sure, maybe 95%, but in my experience I find the lower the impedance the less power they need, so the louder they get with consumer products sans an amplifier. Someone might be able to clear it up.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #160
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I noticed that the M50s are sold at Bestbuy, does anyone know if there are a pair in a showcase or something that can be tested?
I went to Best Buy and Visions this morning and Best Buy did not have any Audio Technica headphones on display or for sale in store. Visions had even less selection in store. I was able to try out the Monster Inspiration headphones and they seemed fine, but they were the noise cancelling version (which I don't want) and who knows for sure with the demo music they play. In terms of comfort I only had them on for a minute or so, but they were pretty good.

Overall, the M50S seems like a better reviewed model than the Monster Inspiration so I'd lean that way.

All the listings for the M50/M50S show an impedance of 38 Ohm so it should be fine for use on the iPod.