Exp:

Haha, stupid Oilers.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seemed like a pretty well written article.

I had a bit of trouble with SJ getting a B+ considering they had no acquisitions at all. He sites Kane of course, but I think Kane playing the stretch drive, with a new team, in a contract year, is a very different animal than Kane with a nice new, fat multi-year contract.

But we shall see.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with him except about Calgary's backups. Even there, I agree it's a concern, but I disagree that Calgary should be looking for backup help now. Calgary needs to find out what they have with a bigger NHL sample from Gillies or Rittich. The experienced backup thing with Lack was a failure and resulted in Smith playing too much. I think Rittich showed he can play a solid backup role (sure he couldn't handle emergency number one when Smith went down but he was perfectly fine as a backup).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they have to go with what they have as well. They have to continue to develop them, and that means play them.

If both drop the ball this season, then so be it. At least you know, and then you can go fix it.

But you have to try. You have to give them a chance to grow before you bury them.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with him except about Calgary's backups. Even there, I agree it's a concern, but I disagree that Calgary should be looking for backup help now. Calgary needs to find out what they have with a bigger NHL sample from Gillies or Rittich. The experienced backup thing with Lack was a failure and resulted in Smith playing too much. I think Rittich showed he can play a solid backup role (sure he couldn't handle emergency number one when Smith went down but he was perfectly fine as a backup).
I also think Gillies showed a lot of positives. He had a few notable gaffes at the start of games - but something that strikes me as promising is that after those silly goals went in, he gathered himself and played very well after them. That's a good mental make-up and very promising.

I think Gillies could be one of the players that really makes his mark this year.

Rittich definitely fell apart after Smith went down with an injury, but so did team play - it wasn't all on Ritter.

With Rittich and Gillies battling it out, I think we're pretty good in the pipes. I really do believe Gillies is going to have an impressive year.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I dunno. I think if a guy like Steve Mason is still out there he should at least be looked at to help shore up the back end. Look at Anaheim -- they've been developing goalies for years but last year they brought in Ryan Miller to help shore it up back there and it just gave them another lifetime -- and a great one at that. I think if the Flames has had a Steve Mason last year when Smith got hurt they still could've made the playoffs, and Smith is only getting older. If he's cheap, it's worth looking into. Mason has been a starter very recently.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I do want to see Gilles getting a solid chance in training camp. I still think he's got a decent NHL ceiling and I think we need that training camp battle. I'm also seeing how Parson's does in camp, though I think he needs a good year or so in the AHL as a starter.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

That's a pretty good writeup, but for one very odd assertion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Proteau
"Koskinen as a backup for Cam Talbot is a fairly expensive proposition for an unproven NHL-level talent, and it seems odd Oilers management wouldn't use some of their stockpile of youth to deal with their tenuous situation in net."
Where is this stockpile of youth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't say talented youth.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I also think Gillies showed a lot of positives. He had a few notable gaffes at the start of games - but something that strikes me as promising is that after those silly goals went in, he gathered himself and played very well after them. That's a good mental make-up and very promising.

I think Gillies could be one of the players that really makes his mark this year.

Rittich definitely fell apart after Smith went down with an injury, but so did team play - it wasn't all on Ritter.

With Rittich and Gillies battling it out, I think we're pretty good in the pipes. I really do believe Gillies is going to have an impressive year.
Yeah, and the issues with those goals were correctable - IIRC they were holding the post on down low scrums around the net.

I've always like Gillies, largely because I love huge goalies, having suffered through the Flames playing walls like Dubnyk, Rinne, or Bishop. Rittich is no shrimp at 6'3" but Gillies is 6'6". Man, if he can find a groove...
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #12
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must.. Temper.. Expectations..
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post

The off season isn't about tempering expectations, its about getting carried away with your expectations and being washed down a river or over positivity while bragging about the depth of your team and the question of not when but how many.

Then being crushed by the end of November

I am an Oilers fan

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, and the issues with those goals were correctable - IIRC they were holding the post on down low scrums around the net.

I've always like Gillies, largely because I love huge goalies, having suffered through the Flames playing walls like Dubnyk, Rinne, or Bishop. Rittich is no shrimp at 6'3" but Gillies is 6'6". Man, if he can find a groove...
He also couldn't track the puck (at the NHL level) until it was below the hash marks which scared the crap out of me. Whats really weird is he never had that problem before. Its like one bad one went in and he got a case of the yips. I fully expect that to be gone from his game this year.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like I disagree with most of you, I think we need to go out and get a another goalie with experience. We are poised for a run and I don’t want to have to rely on 2 inexperienced younger guys. Smith’s injury history has me a little nervous a guy like Mason mentioned earlier would go a long way to solidify the position.

I would prefer one of the young guys to break out but I don’t want to bank the season on Smiths health or the young guys taking a huge step.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #16
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think we can add a goalie without trading one of the top 3 younger guys as they all need playing time to develop.

We don't need to worry about adding unless:

a) Smith plays like he did post injury or gets injured again
b) Rittich plays like he did after Smith got injured and Gillies/Parsons can't fill in

NHL: Smith, Rittich
AHL: Gillies, Parsons
ECHL: McDonald, Schneider
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #17
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Exactly. Every time this team is expected to do something great they completely #### the bed. Since I've been a flames fan over 30 years ago I can count on one hand the number of times they exceeded expectations. 88-89, 03-04 and 14-15. I'm not getting my hopes up as I know better.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #18
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So when do we expect to see the Staples article ripping this one because the Oilers' off season grade was so low?

Obviously they should get an A+ because Rattie will be good (which is obvious, based on the fact that he has always been bad), Lucic is going to be really good next year, McDavid is going to improve and score, like 1000 points, and something about Hillary's emails?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Exactly. Every time this team is expected to do something great they completely #### the bed. Since I've been a flames fan over 30 years ago I can count on one hand the number of times they exceeded expectations. 88-89, 03-04 and 14-15. I'm not getting my hopes up as I know better.
The Flames did not exceed expectations in 1988–89, they met them. They were consistently a top-3 team in the League heading into that season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Flames did not exceed expectations in 1988–89, they met them. They were consistently a top-3 team in the League heading into that season.
If you win the Stanley Cup then you have exceeded expectations. Period.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trumpethead For This Useful Post: