Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #121
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is it though? I have seen games where no one had missed anything, like Swedes vs Canada in men’s.
This isn't proof to the contrary. Maybe both teams read the ice well and adjusted well that game.

There have been lots and lots of examples of draws not even close to being in the rings. Also lots of examples of the amount of curl being a guess.

It could be that a whole bunch of the best players in the world are playing really inconsistently. Or it could be that the ice is causing them some problems.

Of course, some of it is going to be on the players regardless - they aren't perfect. But when there are this many huge misses, it probably isn't all on the players.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #122
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This isn't proof to the contrary. Maybe both teams read the ice well and adjusted well that game.

There have been lots and lots of examples of draws not even close to being in the rings. Also lots of examples of the amount of curl being a guess.

It could be that a whole bunch of the best players in the world are playing really inconsistently. Or it could be that the ice is causing them some problems.

Of course, some of it is going to be on the players regardless - they aren't perfect. But when there are this many huge misses, it probably isn't all on the players.
I would agree to a point, but watching the men yesterday, one team was making shots all over the place while the other was missing open hits and sticks to count.

Its been some bad curling at times, maybe some ice issues as well but both teams are on the same ice. Its a Canadian ice maker as well who is running the show IIRC.

Homan though had just been bad early on. Bad execution coupled with poor decisions before even settling into the hack. Its been a bit bizarre and very disappointing.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #123
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

If only Korea had scored on that 4 minute power play at the beginning of the 2nd period :P

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #124
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is no “proof”. Point is, some teams are handling the ice just fine. Understanding the ice is part of curling.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
There is no “proof”. Point is, some teams are handling the ice just fine. Understanding the ice is part of curling.
Of course it is.

But not all ice is the same. Less consistent ice is going to cause more volatility in the shot making.

That too is part of curling.

It can be both. Why are people so black and white all the time?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #126
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course it is.

But not all ice is the same. Less consistent ice is going to cause more volatility in the shot making.

That too is part of curling.

It can be both. Why are people so black and white all the time?
I haven’t seen the black and white parts. I don’t think it’s controversial to say the Homan rink has struggled. The game against Denmark in particular was hard to watch.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #127
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was watching these unbelievable super-human guys running cross-country ski relay 4 x 10 km in freezing temperature and couldn't stop thinking: how the heck did curling become an Olympic sport?..
Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #128
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Super-human? They used to say that about Lance Armstrong.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #129
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The hockey i have watched has been more entertaining this year than anything i watched in the last Olympics.

The quality is no where near as good, but it is far more even (for the most part) and interesting compared to what Canada did in Sochi.
I don't know about that, I can't get into it. At this stage this Canadian team is similar to the ones that were there prior to the NHL era of Olympic Hockey. Those teams were fairly good between blue lines but are missing the goal scoring talent and goaltending. I prefer the goalie who play against Korea to Scrivens though.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #130
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Super-human? They used to say that about Lance Armstrong.
What's your point?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #131
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I was watching these unbelievable super-human guys running cross-country ski relay 4 x 10 km in freezing temperature and couldn't stop thinking: how the heck did curling become an Olympic sport?..

Because Olympic sports are about precision as well.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #132
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Because Olympic sports are about precision as well.
Why not darts, bowling, snooker, crib then? I do understand that curling etc. requires skill and practice. I don't understand how could a gold medal in curling hold the same value as gold medal in skiing, speed-skating, hockey etc. The fundamental Olympic "Citius. Altius. Fortius" principle is broken here.

Didn't mean to re-open an old debate. It's included, because there's enough people like to watch it on TV. Like I said, I couldn't stop thinking about this inequality while watching the cross-country skiing relay. The real winter competitive sport demonstrating athletes' power, level of preparation, exhaustion, show of physical and mental toughness, the drama - everything. Compared to a pleasant recreational activity such as curling...
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #133
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Darts, bowling, snooker and a host of other sports have applied to be in the Olympics. They are sometimes a part of other competitions.

Citius. Altius. Fortius was never quite right.The first Olympics had shooting.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #134
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why not darts, bowling, snooker, crib then? I do understand that curling etc. requires skill and practice. I don't understand how could a gold medal in curling hold the same value as gold medal in skiing, speed-skating, hockey etc. The fundamental Olympic "Citius. Altius. Fortius" principle is broken here.

Didn't mean to re-open an old debate. It's included, because there's enough people like to watch it on TV. Like I said, I couldn't stop thinking about this inequality while watching the cross-country skiing relay. The real winter competitive sport demonstrating athletes' power, level of preparation, exhaustion, show of physical and mental toughness, the drama - everything. Compared to a pleasant recreational activity such as curling...
Well if you wan too look for negatives in a sport, you can find them. Although I am not really enthused by curling unless its the gold medal final and Canada is in it, there are questionable aspects in all sports. .

CC skiing is not without its warts, certainly the medal tables in skiing are influenced by the multi million dollar funding and elite medical assistance that is the key to winning these endurance sports(there have been many doping scandals). I can't help being cynical about the way certain countries dominate cross country skiing and it may not be as "heroic" as you see it. One of the things that is abused is the notion of medical exemptions that allow the use of otherwise banned substances.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2016/08/...-sports-elite/

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-18-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #135
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hey... it's good enough for Mr. T. End of debate.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #136
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I finally watched the aerials. Man, Rochon went big on his last jump and it would have easily won gold. The bronze score was only 122 so he could have settled for an easier jump for a medal but I'm glad Canadians are going for gold (even if it ended up being 5th)

Old 02-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #137
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The real winter competitive sport demonstrating athletes' power, level of preparation, exhaustion, show of physical and mental toughness, the drama - everything. Compared to a pleasant recreational activity such as curling...
Also... based on this quote you clearly don't understand the sport.

I would rather watch a million curling matches than 5 seconds of "Dream Team" Olympic basketball, beach volleyball, or frickin' rock climbing. But just because I don't like or understand those things, I wouldn't question the legitimacy of them as Olympic sports (except maybe rock climbing he he).

Last edited by vanisleflamesfan; 02-18-2018 at 05:41 PM.
vanisleflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #138
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m surprised the organizers are altering the curling rocks mid tournament.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote