Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #61
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Use a prospect to get someone like Grabner or Pageau

Then sign someone like Neal, Kane or JVR in the off-season (assuming Backlund can also be re-signed)
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #62
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

add kris versteeg and then take the afternoon off
Old 02-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #63
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some times guys play out their contracts. I don’t want to lose Backlund for nothing but no way you dump him now unless it’s for an immediate upgrade.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #64
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No.

There is no realistic scenario that sees the Flames trading Backlund while jockeying for a playoff spot this season. Backlund cannot be moved until there is a viable replacement option on hand, and Jankowski does not look quite ready for that yet.

But this is fairly moot. I expect Backlund will be re-signed before the start of UFA this summer.
Yes.

Treliving isnt doing his job if he doesnt consider trading Backlund if there no extension by the 26th.

Once we are past that day, you have to assume he will hit July 1. Doesnt mean the Flames cant re-sign him at that point, but the chances are way way less it happens with 30 other teams able to take a run at him as well.

So you are looking at (unless you actually believe this club is a contender right now....and they aren't based on the season thus far)

1) Maybe making the playoffs with Backlund and possibly winning a round, and then losing him for nothing in the summer.

2) Maybe making the playoffs, probably not winning a round but with a mitt full of assets he would return, and the small possibility he would return as a UFA.

There is one scenario there that is preferable by miles in trying to become a SC winner in the window that is presented to them.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #65
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add Tavares then sign him to an extension.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #66
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's time for a rebuild.......

Just kidding, I would like a scoring winger, but the prices are too high.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #67
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It's clear? We are 50/50 to make the playoffs. And if we do, what are the odds of making the second round - 50/50?

I do agree that there is a good core with a decent window in the next 4-5 years, but draft picks are the life-blood for franchises in the salary cap world with 31 teams.

I want to keep an eye on both horizons.
To me it was clear when they traded picks for Hamonic that the team was entering the next phase of the rebuild. They're now willing to trade future assets for immediate help.

I'm not advocating trades for rentals yet, but trades for established players in their mid-to-late 20's that can help for longer than a month and a half.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #68
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Nobody rebuilds anymore. According to the letters they're sending their season ticket holders, the new hotness is a retool.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #69
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I have no problem if they do nothing at the deadline BUT I'd like Treliving to try and grab a top 6 RW if he finds a deal that makes sense. I think Bartkowski and Anderson can slot in on D for a game here or a game there during a playoff run. I don't think we have a player that really slots in well at RW and I think Treliving could get one for prospects or prospects and a roster player. I suppose it may depend on how they see Versteeg fitting back into the lineup.
Frolik can play either wing and Tkachuk has said he can too. I think we have more flexibility than people think.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #70
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Nobody rebuilds anymore. According to the letters they're sending their season ticket holders, the new hotness is a retool.
The retool has to be “on the fly” to be any good.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #71
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Brodie has been bad this year but Larsson is horribly bad defensively
This is like when people say Joe Thornton does not show up in the playoffs just because it was said a lot. Any D man looks bad in Arizona and yet OEL is a consistent all star and a huge upgrade on Brodie.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #72
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sign Iginla.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #73
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
Sign Iginla.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #74
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Depth forwards. I'd see if Stempniak and Ryan are available from Carolina.
My targets would be Stempniak, Leivo, or Vanek.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #75
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yes.

Treliving isnt doing his job if he doesnt consider trading Backlund if there no extension by the 26th.

Once we are past that day, you have to assume he will hit July 1. Doesnt mean the Flames cant re-sign him at that point, but the chances are way way less it happens with 30 other teams able to take a run at him as well.
I completely disagree. If the Flames end up deciding to trade Backlund as a result of a contract impasse next week they will lose that trade—by a lot. The Flames are absolutely better off facing down the high probability that he signs an extension than they are with the fairly middling return they would receive for a pending UFA Backlund.

Quote:
So you are looking at (unless you actually believe this club is a contender right now....and they aren't based on the season thus far)
This is also where we disagree. The Flames may not be a contender, but they are close to it. They are likely to make the playoffs, and they also look like they could go on a run. The Flames realistically can beat any team in the Western Conference.

Quote:
1) Maybe making the playoffs with Backlund and possibly winning a round, and then losing him for nothing in the summer.
2) Maybe making the playoffs, probably not winning a round but with a mitt full of assets he would return, and the small possibility he would return as a UFA.
3) Making the playoffs, advancing to the second round, and likely re-signing Backlund in the summer.

Quote:
There is one scenario there that is preferable by miles in trying to become a SC winner in the window that is presented to them.

Any return that Backlund might garner in a week WILL NOT HELP the Flames win a Stanley Cup, and yet, Backlund himself very well could.

I agree. There is one preferred scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-16-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #76
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I completely disagree. If the Flames end up deciding to trade Backlund as a result of a contract impasse next week they will lose that trade—by a lot. The Flames are absolutely better off facing down the high probability that he signs an extension than they are with the fairly middling return they would receive for a pending UFA Backlund.
What? Where are you getting this "high probability" stuff. Based on what exactly. If it was so easy and a slam dunk, it would have been done months ago....or last summer when it could have happened but didnt.

How do they "lose a trade by a lot" when the return is more than nothing?

You dont think Backlund would return a 1st rd ++ from someone like Pittsburgh?

Anything in return is better than nothing. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
This is also where we disagree. The Flames may not be a contender, but they are close to it. They are likely to make the playoffs, and they also look like they could go on a run. The Flames realistically can beat any team in the Western Conference.

This is nothing more than an opinion. and very very rose colored one at that. They are in a fight for their playoff lives...how does that equate to "likely'? And no..in a 7 game series there are at least 6 Western conference teams i would believe could beat the Flames in a best of 7 series, some of which are not guarenteed to make it either. (Though this is merely my opinion but a fairly educated one with lots of sample size to support it)

Quote:
3) Making the playoffs, advancing to the second round, and likely re-signing Backlund in the summer.
Again with this "likely" stuff....there is nothing to indicate likely or unlikely anywhere that I have seen or heard.

Quote:
Any return that Backlund might garner in a week WILL NOT HELP the Flames win a Stanley Cup, and yet, Backlund himself very well could.

So assets returned in trades cannot be used to help the club in the future now? Are these some new rules I missed the memo on?

And Backlund cannot help the Flames win anything if he signs somewhere else as a UFA.

I think you are on an island if you believe the Flames have any sort of shot at winning a SC this season. Which I guess then explains why you think as you do. Though I hope you are right and somehow they capture some magic and go on a cinderella run.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #77
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
My targets would be Stempniak, Leivo, or Vanek.
Why do we need guys like this over Versteeg or Jagr who cost no assets?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #78
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a good trade we need to have someone that a) others want and b) that we don't need. We have a few a's and a few b's, but no a&b's. And no draft picks to spare.

I fully expect a totally boring trade deadline this year for the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #79
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are too good to be sellers, but not good enough to pay deadline prices nor are we just one piece away from being a contender.

Therefore, I think we should stand pat or at the most make minor deals. Then spend in the off-season.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #80
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why do we need guys like this over Versteeg or Jagr who cost no assets?
Versteeg and Jagr have combined for 15 points in 44 games this season.

Vanek has 39 by himself.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade deadline