Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #4421
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Alright, how do I reduce kick drum noise?

My back neighbour approached me last year and said he was building a studio in his garage for his band, and was trying his best to soundproof the hell out of it. But was giving me polite warning that it may be noisy. He did a pretty good job, but I can hear his kick drum anywhere in my house. Even in my basement. Forget about outside, that dream died the second he had this idea. But I’d really like to reduce the amount of pounding I hear sitting on my couch.

We had discussed replacing the fence between us, and both agreed on 6’. That was before this. I am thinking of going for maximum permitted 8’ now even though I won’t like the fortress like appearance of it. It has to help right?
Your only options are to move, or take out the neighbour.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #4422
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think at this point you just need to start buying red wine by the box and embrace it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #4423
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Alright, how do I reduce kick drum noise?

My back neighbour approached me last year and said he was building a studio in his garage for his band, and was trying his best to soundproof the hell out of it. But was giving me polite warning that it may be noisy. He did a pretty good job, but I can hear his kick drum anywhere in my house. Even in my basement. Forget about outside, that dream died the second he had this idea. But I’d really like to reduce the amount of pounding I hear sitting on my couch.

We had discussed replacing the fence between us, and both agreed on 6’. That was before this. I am thinking of going for maximum permitted 8’ now even though I won’t like the fortress like appearance of it. It has to help right?
Ask him if he could put a pillow inside of the kick drum, it helps dull the sound a bunch
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #4424
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

anyone have an recommendations for clearing out a frozen exhaust vent for a tankless hot water system with the kicker being it's vented out the roof?
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #4425
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Ask him if he could put a pillow inside of the kick drum, it helps dull the sound a bunch
Bet my life it’s already muffled, I can’t think of anyone who plays with a totally open bass drum.

Sad reality is low frequency sound requires a ton of mass and a ton of depth to stop. I mean, you could ask him to muffle the #### out of it, use a wool beater and take up straight ahead jazz. But if he’s doing any sort of ‘studio’ stuff, you’re SOL. Or, rather he is...as a drummer, I feel bad about noise coming out of my house but it is what it is...but at some point the onus is on the person making the noise. A garage is the worst possible place to contain sound in your house.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:17 PM   #4426
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
anyone have an recommendations for clearing out a frozen exhaust vent for a tankless hot water system with the kicker being it's vented out the roof?
Wait until Saturday?

That sounds awful man. Let us know how you get it fixed.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #4427
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t have any experience or knowledge of these systems, but after the vent is clear can you install heat trace that you can turn on if it ever freezes again?

Edit:
Can you disconnect the vent and use a heat gun to thaw it?

Last edited by Doctorfever; 12-28-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:27 AM   #4428
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I don’t have any experience or knowledge of these systems, but after the vent is clear can you install heat trace that you can turn on if it ever freezes again?

Edit:
Can you disconnect the vent and use a heat gun to thaw it?
Not sure I'd be messing about in the attic at these temps, probably better option to go outside.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:44 AM   #4429
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Not sure I'd be messing about in the attic at these temps, probably better option to go outside.
I was thinking disconnect it right at the unit and blow hot air up vent to thaw it. Then reconnect vent and you are good to go.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #4430
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I was thinking disconnect it right at the unit and blow hot air up vent to thaw it. Then reconnect vent and you are good to go.

not sure if that would work since the unit is 35ft+ away from where the blockage is most likely.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #4431
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Bet my life it’s already muffled, I can’t think of anyone who plays with a totally open bass drum.

Sad reality is low frequency sound requires a ton of mass and a ton of depth to stop. I mean, you could ask him to muffle the #### out of it, use a wool beater and take up straight ahead jazz. But if he’s doing any sort of ‘studio’ stuff, you’re SOL. Or, rather he is...as a drummer, I feel bad about noise coming out of my house but it is what it is...but at some point the onus is on the person making the noise. A garage is the worst possible place to contain sound in your house.
Yeah if he’s recording in there it’s for sure muted. And unmuted kick in a small space like that is crazy. Either way I certainly won’t be asking him to do anything different. He was very upfront about it, he’s a good guy, and it’s not like he plays late into the evening or anything. They worked on it all summer, had guys there every day, re did the roof, and insulated the crap out of it. It’s all good, I just want to reduce it a bit on my end.

Either way, I’m definitely going for the 8’ fence. Gotta try something. We have about a 5’ fence so the top half of his garage wall is in sight. Sight = free sound travel.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #4432
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you can see the iced vent from the yard shoot bb’s at it, you might get lucky(or arrested).
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #4433
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
not sure if that would work since the unit is 35ft+ away from where the blockage is most likely.
I believe it would work. Would not be fast, but would work. Some heat guns (mine does anyways) have a clip on them to hang it up, and a trigger lock so you won’t have to stand there with it.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #4434
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recently just found frost inside my home on an exterior wall. Any idea what would cause this? I turned down my humidifier so hopefully that helps.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #4435
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
I recently just found frost inside my home on an exterior wall. Any idea what would cause this? I turned down my humidifier so hopefully that helps.

I had that on some cantilevered portions of the house (thanks 4x4 for teaching me the right term). I think the solution for that is insulation.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #4436
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recommended contractor to add more insulation to my attic space ?

How does pricing work ? Per Bundle, sq foot of coverage.

No I would rather not rent the machine and do it myself.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #4437
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Recommended contractor to add more insulation to my attic space ?

How does pricing work ? Per Bundle, sq foot of coverage.

No I would rather not rent the machine and do it myself.
I just had Beyond Foam come out and blow insulation into the space above my attached garage which has a furnace. It's made quite the difference. I had less than 4 inches up there and now there is 18. The cost was pretty much the same as buying R40 batts and doing it myself. No Brainer. They did a really good job and cleaned everything up when they were done. I highly recommend them.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #4438
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure where else to post this, my neighbors very clearly didn't turn off the water to their outdoor faucets, we just noticed the spectacular ice fall coming off the side of their house where their hose is connected to today. If we can't get a hold of them (no one's home at the moment), is there a number we should call either with the city or a service company prior to the warm up this weekend? I guess there is a chance that they noticed it and have already turned off their water. It's making me nervous because not only could it flood their basement but also the space between our houses with water and then ice with the next freeze. Fingers crossed we can reach them.

Last edited by Nyah; 12-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #4439
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Not sure where else to post this, my neighbors very clearly didn't turn off the water to their outdoor faucets, we just noticed the spectacular ice fall coming off the side of their house where their hose is connected to today. If we can't get a hold of them (no one's home at the moment), is there a number we should call either with the city or a service company prior to the warm up this weekend? I guess there is a chance that they noticed it and have already turned off their water. It's making me nervous because not only could it flood their basement but also the space between our houses with water and then ice with the next freeze. Fingers crossed we can reach them.
You must be on the same street as me? in Killarney? my neighbor across the street has that problem. I phoned 311. Their next door neighbor said they were calling the contractor as that house was just recently completely refinished and new owner moved in less than a month ago. Contractor might know phone number for owner.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #4440
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
duct tape a lit propane torch or heat gun to a drone and melt the ice?
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames_Gimp For This Useful Post: