Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #2681
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
NHL15 will be on next gen.

Or at least my buddy at EA confirms it will be.
I have no doubt it will be on next gen consoles. I have serious doubts it'll be a next gen build.

But people will still buy it. I bought NHL14 and spend all my time playing Fifa....
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #2682
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I have no doubt it will be on next gen consoles. I have serious doubts it'll be a next gen build.

But people will still buy it. I bought NHL14 and spend all my time playing Fifa....

You too huh?

I pick up FIFA every couple years, and I'm always just so disappointed at how much better it is than the NHL series, from top to bottom. I know it has to outsell it by like a bajillion or something, but come on.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #2683
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post

The reason (speculated), it wasn't on new gen last fall was because they're shifting away from the current NHL engine to the EA Sports engine that they use across all games now (Ignite). This, in effect, should help bridge some of the quality complaints you seem to have with the game - because assets, animations and everything will be able to be built by any of the teams, and shared with all of the others. In theory, this was done because advancements by the FIFA team (or any team), will then be able to be shared company-wide, so the Ignite engine gets iteratively better thanks to every team working with it..

...I think the NHL series has been pretty flippin' amazing this last generation and am excited to see what they can do with the new gen consoles.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #2684
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL actually had some good years (was named sports game of the year for a decent stretch there), it just seemed to hit the wall earlier in the gen due to limitations and didn't advance over the last 2/3 years of the console cycle.

Hopefully the transition to the Ignite engine, with the added power of the new consoles, will allow them to develop better advancements.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #2685
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

some xbox one stuff from the build conference held last week; if you don't like my links due to bias (perceived or otherwise), please use google news for other perspectives as i tried to get the source article where i could.

m$ "thinking about" xbox 360 emulator:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/04/xbo...ng-it-through/

xbox one external storage coming soon:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/0...ge-coming-soon

plex client coming through independent developer under xbox program.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/18...anks-to-idxbox

i also saw an interview with the new xbox head where he reiterates xbox's focus on games...which i think is a good strategic move.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbo.../1100-6418776/

i saved the biggest news item for last. to me, this has huge repercussions for the long game on both consoles. directx 12 will deliver twice the gpu performance on the xbox one than what it can today, according to a game developer ceo. there are lots of concerns about heat when doing this, but there are a number of comments in other articles about the fan and heat dissipation capacity of the xbox one, especially with the power brick being external. the heat is not expected to be a concern.

http://bgr.com/2014/04/07/xbox-one-directx-12-update/
Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #2686
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

They are building NHL15 specifically for the new gen consoles. They've put more focus on NHL15 than any iteration they ever have in the past.

Or so my buddy claims.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #2687
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
its obvious titanfall isn't doing what they hoped...there is a reason they keep pushing back the 360 release.
More images and videos are finally leaking out of the 360 version of Titanfall. Looks like Bluepoint did a great job with the game, no wonder Microsoft has been delaying this version multiple times while trying to keep it under wraps for so long.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-xbox-360-performance-analysis

Let's begin with rendering resolution. The Xbox One version ships at 1408x792 with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing - a sub-native presentation for a console aimed at the era of the 1080p display. There are few surprises with the Xbox 360 version, which adopts a strategy similar to the Call of Duty titles on older Microsoft hardware. There's a 1040x600 native resolution here, backed up by 2x MSAA. It's a set-up that allows Bluepoint to cram the framebuffer into the 360's 10MB of eDRAM, effectively allowing it to use the hardware anti-aliasing for free with no performance penalty.

By default, the game ships with an unlocked frame-rate - but capped at 60fps. In effect, the game is constantly tearing unless not much is going on, whereupon it locks at 60fps - this occurs for pretty much the entirety of the extended initial training, but sees considerable variation in-game. This is clearly the preferred default from the development team, and offers the fastest-possible controller response at the expense of consistency - both in terms of input lag and frame-rate.
If the screen-tear, inconsistent frame-rate and varying controller response is too much for you, Bluepoint has offered up an alternative - the ability to lock frame-rate at 30fps. This all but eliminates screen-tear and introduces more consistency to the controller feedback but does so to the detriment of overall frame-rate. Each mode has its advantages and disadvantages and it's good that gamers can choose what suits them.

There are times when the game feels uncannily close to the Xbox One version (especially during the less taxing training session) and across the entirety of the clips measured above, we end up with a 46.5fps average - not bad at all. However, different levels exert varying degrees of stress upon the engine, and as you can see from the analysis, performance is variable, perhaps explaining the "above 30fps" marketing. That said, frame-rate does creep below on rare occasions (similar to Xbox One, we can see the odd freeze - a small clutch of duplicate frames) but there's nothing game-breaking.

In summary, after a day with the Xbox 360 game, the big takeaway here is that this is Titanfall, and it does appear to be feature-complete on the older console. With just one tenth of the available RAM and far less capable silicon, it's safe to say that Bluepoint Games has more than exceeded expectations.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #2688
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
They are building NHL15 specifically for the new gen consoles. They've put more focus on NHL15 than any iteration they ever have in the past.

Or so my buddy claims.
I just want to confirm, you have a buddy that works at EA? It hasnt been made clear yet.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #2689
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I just want to confirm, you have a buddy that works at EA? It hasnt been made clear yet.
My buddy confirms this is true.

Or, at least that is what my buddy at EA says.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #2690
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last two posts are awesome.

That is all.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #2691
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "rumor" continues:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...-us/home/games (banner still up while I post but the link is a dead end)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #2692
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is a great little promo. They must track how many people click pre-order.

I just clicked back there. The price has gone up by $10 to $69.99
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #2693
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool that it's coming to PS4 but everyone's played it already. I would probably play it again if the graphics were a major upgrade but not at that price.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #2694
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Cool that it's coming to PS4 but everyone's played it already. I would probably play it again if the graphics were a major upgrade but not at that price.
I never had a PS3 so I never played it, I am probably not alone.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #2695
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll pick it up because playing it on the vita is a huge plus.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #2696
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I'll double dip at $70... fantastic game, but it's not worth that price for a graphics bump if you've already gone through it. Maybe $40.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2697
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Great for 360 owners that never got to try it, of which I know several. $70 digital games though. Man. That'll take some getting used to.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #2698
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
That is a great little promo. They must track how many people click pre-order.

I just clicked back there. The price has gone up by $10 to $69.99
$69.99 = Canadian price
$59.99 = American price

Just something we're going to have to get used to from now on.

Sony has been pretty good at deals/discounts on the PSN though - so yeah, wait a bit and you'll likely be able to get it around $40 or so.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #2699
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
$69.99 = Canadian price
$59.99 = American price

Just something we're going to have to get used to from now on.
In before "it's unfair" or it's "anti-consumer".

Anyhow, now listed on Amazon. That last one is very interesting to me to be sure.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0S0S/15-24-20/

- Winner of over 200 Game of the Year awards
- Explore a brutal post-pandemic world, fully realized with the power of PlayStation 4 system
- Includes all DLC packs: over $30 in value
- In-game cinematic commentary from the cast and creative director
Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #2700
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also one of those who have never played it. $70 is still steep but considering the value people have gotten out of $60 without DLC, this will still be a worthwhile purchase still.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote