Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #61
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness Rittich is back as Mike Smith looks like his career as an NHL goalie is done. Those goals he allowed - yikes.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #62
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's a good question, and this is probably true of most cases, but there are certainly also instances when Peters starts the second unit on the powerplay. He did it last night.
It seems reasonable that if the top line draws a penalty, especially if they possess the puck for any significant time after the penalty is drawn unit 2 will start.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #63
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Problem is production trumps fancy stats. Bennett just doesn't produce as well as Frolik. 2.19 P/60 versus 1.40 P/60. Bennett just doesn't have the same finishing capability as even Frolik, and that's a big problem.
Frolik has something like 3 or 4 empty net goals. Normalize for that.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #64
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik and Ryan are two players that we rely on to close out games, so if anything it makes sense to have those two working together more often.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #65
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only does Bennett not score, he causes those around him to not score also. He prevents pp2 and 2nd line from scoring. This can be counted.
I love Bennett, on the 3rd or 4th line. He brings a lot to the table without scoring.
Hard to think the Flames have the depth most of us profess them to have when you see Bennett on line 2 and PP2 without needing to for injuries.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #66
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Please, can we please mix up PP2 for a while and see what happens? Can we please try Rasmus on the point? Throw someone in front of the net? Look for traffic, shots and ugly rebound goals? All I know is that unit does not have the skill to be making fancy passing plays.......just get it back to the point and rip it. I don't care at all how predictable it is.

This is my gripe with the staff. I'm liking everything else about their game plans, but I'm not pleased with PP2 at all. The worst part is, I feel like you have the horses to fix it too, they just refuse.

Having two offensive defensmen on the PP is not a bad thing fellas. Andersson and Kylinton both have offensive ability.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #67
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Not only does Bennett not score, he causes those around him to not score also. He prevents pp2 and 2nd line from scoring. This can be counted.
I love Bennett, on the 3rd or 4th line. He brings a lot to the table without scoring.
Hard to think the Flames have the depth most of us profess them to have when you see Bennett on line 2 and PP2 without needing to for injuries.
How can this be counted?

Not sure there is data that would single out who's hurting their linemates from being productive.

His not finishing is certainly hurting his teammates, but more than Frolik, Neal and Czarnik?

He creates more five on five chances than the other three, so even if he doesn't score hopefully that creates the odd rebound and goal for Tkachuk or Backlund.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #68
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
How can this be counted?

Not sure there is data that would single out who's hurting their linemates from being productive.

His not finishing is certainly hurting his teammates, but more than Frolik, Neal and Czarnik?

He creates more five on five chances than the other three, so even if he doesn't score hopefully that creates the odd rebound and goal for Tkachuk or Backlund.
Frolik, Backlund, Tkachuk
4.37 GF/60

Bennett, Backlund, Tkachuk
2.83 GF/60
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #69
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This is my gripe with the staff. I'm liking everything else about their game plans, but I'm not pleased with PP2 at all. The worst part is, I feel like you have the horses to fix it too, they just refuse.

Having two offensive defensmen on the PP is not a bad thing fellas. Andersson and Kylinton both have offensive ability.
Also wish they would stop using the same structure as they do on PP1 - which works great with the right personal but I think with the current PP2 players a more basic setup with 2 defensemen and pucks on net, battle for rebounds would be more effective.
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #70
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Frolik, Backlund, Tkachuk
4.37 GF/60

Bennett, Backlund, Tkachuk
2.83 GF/60
I've got 3.94 Frolik five on five vs 2.90 Bennett ... but good point either way.

Bennett gives up less five on five as well though which shrinks the gap to about 0.7/60
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #71
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1081316845653757952
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #72
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've got 3.94 Frolik five on five vs 2.90 Bennett ... but good point either way.

Bennett gives up less five on five as well though which shrinks the gap to about 0.7/60
The big thing for me - is that Neal looks better with Bennett than he does with anyone else.

Neal + Bennett (150 minutes)

Corsi %: 52%
HD Corsi %: 57.4%
GF %: 40%
Shooting %: 7.6%
Save %: .890
GF/60: 2.4
Offensive Zone Faceoff: 47%

Neal without Bennett (320 minutes)

Corsi %: 50.5%
HD Corsi %: 44.9%
GF %: 30%
Shooting %: 3.5%
Save %: ..921
GF/60: 0.96
Offensive Zone Faceoff: 53%

Neal actually looks like a decent NHLer with Bennett on his opposite wing - compared to just horrendous with anybody else on that wing.

The bump Bennett brings to the third line playing with Neal, is bigger than the benefit we get from going to Bennett from Frolik on the second line and that's why he should stay paired with Neal.

I like Peters shuffling lines in the third period but I'd like them to go with the lines below for a stretch and see if some consistency in our bottom six helps build some chemistry.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Hathaway

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-04-2019 at 04:02 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #73
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thank Jesus/Rittich.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #74
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting ...

I pulled the powerplay data and then removed the top five powerplay guys from each team by ice time. Then I totalled the point totals on the powerplay and total minutes for all remaining players by team.

Calgary is ranked 29th in terms of powerplay production per minute played of all players not in the top five of the powerplay in terms of minutes.

The non top five is 7th in ice time in the NHL with over 500 minutes and only 15 total scoring points.

Calgary's top five is obvious ... they are ranked 4th in total scoring points as a top unit and 6th in output by minute.
If there is a fault with Peters/PP coach, is that their mimic the Gulutzan staff in square peg, round hole with the second PP unit.

It hasn't worked all season. Why are they so apprehensive to change it up to yield different results? Especially since Peters comes off as a coach that will change something if it isn't working.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #75
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
If there is a fault with Peters/PP coach, is that their mimic the Gulutzan staff in square peg, round hole with the second PP unit.

It hasn't worked all season. Why are they so apprehensive to change it up to yield different results? Especially since Peters comes off as a coach that will change something if it isn't working.
Peters has actually shown that he is very different and in fact does not try and force pieces into places they don't appear to fit. That's why no single player has been able to lock down that second line RW spot - Peters is trying different pieces, looking for something that works. Giving a player more time on a line is a different argument but certainly doesn't support the square peg, round hole point.

Edit: Duh, you're talking about the PP and not the second line. I agree with you about the PP, but not sure if that's more of a special team coach decision than Peters'.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #76
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Please, can we please mix up PP2 for a while and see what happens? Can we please try Rasmus on the point? Throw someone in front of the net? Look for traffic, shots and ugly rebound goals? All I know is that unit does not have the skill to be making fancy passing plays.......just get it back to the point and rip it. I don't care at all how predictable it is.
And why doesn't Jankowski ever get a sniff as an option to any of the forwards on that unit? He's got better hands, a better shot and is a better passer than anyone they put out there except maybe Czarnik.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #77
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The big thing for me - is that Neal looks better with Bennett than he does with anyone else.

Neal + Bennett (150 minutes)

Corsi %: 52%
HD Corsi %: 57.4%
GF %: 40%
Shooting %: 7.6%
Save %: .890
GF/60: 2.4
Offensive Zone Faceoff: 47%

Neal without Bennett (320 minutes)

Corsi %: 50.5%
HD Corsi %: 44.9%
GF %: 30%
Shooting %: 3.5%
Save %: ..921
GF/60: 0.96
Offensive Zone Faceoff: 53%

Neal actually looks like a decent NHLer with Bennett on his opposite wing - compared to just horrendous with anybody else on that wing.

The bump Bennett brings to the third line playing with Neal, is bigger than the benefit we get from going to Bennett from Frolik on the second line and that's why he should stay paired with Neal.

I like Peters shuffling lines in the third period but I'd like them to go with the lines below for a stretch and see if some consistency in our bottom six helps build some chemistry.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Hathaway
I just don't see Neal being a fit with the Flames. He is too slow and can't keep up. Neal is supposed to be a finisher but how will he ever finish when he can't keep up and is behind the play?

Bennett I can see although to date, he has been inconsistent and certainly hasn't really found a great line to play on. At this point in time, I don't see his production improving either.

But Bennett can skate and keep up. Bennett also brings other intangibles that I don't see with Neal. Neal was supposed to have this mean and tough streak. Either that is missing or I am blind as I have not seen Neal bring that while on the ice.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #78
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
in the dream world that i live in we got to keep Ferland in the Canes deal and we never signed James Neal. I think a line of Bennett - Janko - Ferland could have been a lot of fun
Never too late, Ferland is a UFA, could be an awesome deadline add.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #79
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Glad Rittich is good to go.

3M has looked pretty good the past 2 games, not sure why they moved Frolik.
Tweet 1 got the 3M line back together.
Tweet 2 got it taken away. :-)

Tweet 2, the ‘I told you so’ tweet, was unnecessary.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #80
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
The optimist inside me thinks that Smith needs to look at some video with his coaches and sort some things out. Hopefully there's still a chance of redemption. Really good news about Rittich though
The pessimist in me thinks the video Smith needs to watch is of Conroy’s mid season retirement.

Just kidding.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote