Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #1581
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm honestly asking how old you guys are to understand something. Perhaps it's not such a big deal to be completely fabricated and fake, which is what BabyMetal is. A quirky idea executed by some record exec or manager who found these little girl singers and then studio musicians for the sole purpose of servicing a specific market.

The opposite of what makes the best music of all time, musicians who worked on their craft with friends and fellow musicians they were naturally drawn to within scenes. Who came out of obscurity with an incredible story, with substance and meaning to their art. People with artistic integrity.

Listen to them if you want, have fun. Just realize, BabyMetal is not to be taken seriously.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #1582
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I'm honestly asking how old you guys are to understand something. Perhaps it's not such a big deal to be completely fabricated and fake, which is what BabyMetal is. A quirky idea executed by some record exec or manager who found these little girl singers and then studio musicians for the sole purpose of servicing a specific market.

The opposite of what makes the best music of all time, musicians who worked on their craft with friends and fellow musicians they were naturally drawn to within scenes. Who came out of obscurity with an incredible story, with substance and meaning to their art. People with artistic integrity.

Listen to them if you want, have fun. Just realize, BabyMetal is not to be taken seriously.

Jesus, this post is so smug my eyes are watering. You don't get to decide what music is taken seriously, you sound like the worst kind of music snob saying BS like that. Enjoy smelling your own farts, I'll just continue to listen to whatever sounds good

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #1583
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Maybe they aren't overtly sexualized anymore but they're still super "kawaii" and infantilized by design.

People are of course absolutely fine to like whatever they want to like... but it's also fair to critique them by saying they're manufactured, childish, and not to be taken seriously. I would argue their entire concept is based around being silly and ridiculous, so it shouldn't be shocking to see some natural pushback and criticism.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #1584
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I usually keep my mouth shut any Baby Metal, because "let people enjoy things", but they've never been more than cynical cash grab aimed at a creepy niche Asian market that exploded into an international gimmick band.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #1585
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I usually keep my mouth shut any Baby Metal, because "let people enjoy things", but they've never been more than cynical cash grab aimed at a creepy niche Asian market that exploded into an international gimmick band.
This is the path I have taken because I don't love all metal and I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't care for some of the metal I enjoy. As far as Baby Metal is concerned I simply don't care for their music. I absolutely love female fronted metal bands but they just don't appeal to me in any way from the young girls to the manufactured sound. I consider them the Spice Girls of heavy metal and I didn't like the Spice Girls either. That said I don't consider males that like them pervy or anything as people like what they like so I got no issues with their older male fans.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #1586
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Nice to see Leo getting a bit more success now, his covers have always been top notch

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #1587
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still cant get over this....

lol
Old 10-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #1588
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL that's surprisingly much better than I thought it would be.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #1589
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've given it a few spins now and I can now confidently say Periphery's "Hail Stan" is my favourite metal album in a number of years. It's the first album with a Djent sound that's really resonated with me (could never really get into meshuggah, animals as leaders, etc.)

It's super progressive and runs the gamut from 'emo' to 'heavy as death'. At first the emo stuff was a bit of a turn off, but it gets carried by an elite vocal performance and most of the album is super heavy, so it helps break up the wall of sound.

The vocals stand out as a highlight on the album, but everything on it is top notch: the production, song writing and elite performances from every band member.

For me the stand out tracks are: Reptile (17 minute prog-metal masterpiece), It's only smiles (emo) War Eagle & Chvrch Bvrner (heavy as death)

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #1590
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Boy am I underwhelmed with heavy music lately. Here’s something classic for those of you who dig a gnarly riff or three.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #1591
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meshuggah riffing, interesting mid section, lyrics about the war in Ukraine ... powerful. Probably my favourite so far off the new album.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #1592
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

actually it's this one that's been stuck in my head for a while now. But it's a pretty solid album all around, "Retrospection" and "Noah" are also really good.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #1593
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
actually it's this one that's been stuck in my head for a while now. But it's a pretty solid album all around, "Retrospection" and "Noah" are also really good.

That is friggen awesome
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #1594
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rage Against The Machine is back!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#6dc6774412b1

Coachella and a few other dates.

El Paso, TX, March 26, 2020
Las Cruces, NM, March 28, 2020
Phoenix, AZ, March 30, 2020
Indio, CA April 10, 2020
Indio, CA April 17, 2020

I travelled to LA to see them in 2011 as part of the LA Rising festival (w/ Muse, Rise Against) as I figured that was my last chance. They were freakin' amazing.

Seriously debating going to one of these.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #1595
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just posted another track by these guys in the WAYLTRN thread, and figured they belonged here too. This is good stuff!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #1596
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don't know if Ozzy is considered metal these days, but I'm glad he's still putting out music.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #1597
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozzy is arguably the pioneer of Heavy Metal when you consider Black Sabbath and his solo career.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #1598
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Ozzy rules and there’s no doubt he and Sabbath are progenitors of metal, but his music seems to lean ”hard rock” in the past couple of decades.

Speaking of Sabbath I’m probably going to pick this up:

Old 11-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #1599
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Sacred Monster write songs about horror movies. I love the singer’s growl but his falsetto isn’t great. Overall they’re a fun band.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #1600
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I don't know if Ozzy is considered metal these days, but I'm glad he's still putting out music.

absolutely love this one. Somehow feels like Ozzys "Hurt", which is a really sad thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post: