Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #41
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Weird. Another spree of drive-by pellet gun shooting in Calgary. Two people were caught near Morley and were taken into custody:

Global News Link

Quote:
Two people were taken into custody after a shooting spree in northwest Calgary on Saturday night.
Police said officers responded to Collingwood Place, just off Northmount Drive N.W., just before 6:30 p.m.
Officers received multiple reports that shots were being fired from a moving SUV.
Police said they believe a pellet gun was used in the incident.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #42
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Is this gun control working? Or just really weird criminals?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #43
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Weird. Another spree of drive-by pellet gun shooting in Calgary. Two people were caught near Morley and were taken into custody:

Global News Link

Charge them with attempted murder.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Is this gun control working? Or just really weird criminals?
Of course this is gun control working. See how everyone is like 'dude Wtf who does that?' and not 'THERE WAS NO WAY TO PREVENT THIS EXCEPT IF HIS OLD LADY HAD A .50 CAL IN THE BACK!"

That's what gun control is. It makes #### like this the anomaly.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Updated news story says the victim has pulled through after surgery, hopefully continues to improve.
Also says it seems to be mistaken identity ("not intended target"), not road rage.

What is the reason for the shooting based on? Was the guy they arrested and released somehow related to the shooting but not worth keeping in jail? Just weird that they know it was somehow a case of mistaken identity.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #46
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^ No new details from what I know, but the answer is probably the dude had drug induced psychosis/mental issues and access to a .22 Troubling story to be sure.

Quote:
“I explained to the cops that he is a troubled kid, he has been into cocaine, drugs, all that kind of stuff for years. Hanging around the wrong people and this was probably his downfall.”
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/residents...-kid-1.4040861
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #47
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Of course this is gun control working. See how everyone is like 'dude Wtf who does that?' and not 'THERE WAS NO WAY TO PREVENT THIS EXCEPT IF HIS OLD LADY HAD A .50 CAL IN THE BACK!"

That's what gun control is. It makes #### like this the anomaly.
I meant more that it's small caliber weapons. Is that because the people firing them don't have access to more destructive weapons? Possible, but also not impossible that for some reason they didn't actually want to inflict maximum damage.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #48
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I meant more that it's small caliber weapons. Is that because the people firing them don't have access to more destructive weapons? Possible, but also not impossible that for some reason they didn't actually want to inflict maximum damage.
I don't think there is any way at this point to make the claim that these two cases are or are not examples of Canadian gun laws working. There have been no details released in the Morley shooting and in the case of the two people shooting out windows, it is very possible the pellet gun used would not even be considered a firearm under Canadian law.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #49
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that nothing was ever done about the high-calibre rifle slug that zipped through our bedroom from the Tsuu T'ina back on the spring. Should have gone to the media.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #50
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'll just take this opportunity to point out that nothing was ever done about the high-calibre rifle slug that zipped through our bedroom from the Tsuu T'ina back on the spring. Should have gone to the media.

That story was crazy and I've actually told people about it IRL.

I can't believe you didn't go to the cops/media.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #51
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I can't believe you didn't go to the cops/media.
We went to the cops. They came over, did their trajectory analysis, filed a report, and told us that since there was no record of a crime being committed on the Tsuu T'ina at that time to link the spent round to, it was unlikely we'd hear back from them or from the Tsuu T'ina.

I also went to my alderman, who said (or rather his assistant said) it had nothing to do with him or with the City. I asked if the City had any liason with the Tsuu T'ina to raise the issue, and was told no.

So yep, should have gone to the media. It seems #### doesn't get addressed unless institutions are threatened with public embarrassment. Lesson learned.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #52
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ What does having it addressed mean? Somebody somehow tracking down who did it? Then what? They are charged and eventually found guilty?

Not trying to be a dick - I'd be just as outraged if it had happened to me, but there are a lot of dominos to fall there, and it probably wouldn't actually make any difference in the long run...

FWIW I know of at least two people who have found bullets shot into their houses in other areas of the city. It's stupid no matter where it happens, but it can happen anywhere.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #53
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
^ What does having it addressed mean?
Some investigation done into why people are firing off 30mm rounds in the direction of residences.

Did I mention the fact there's a school playground behind our house and there were children playing on it that night? And at the distance the bullet travelled, if the shooter aimed a couple inches to his right the bullet easily could have struck a kid.

Let's say a kid had been killed. Are you suggesting police and the politicians would have just shrugged and said there was nothing they could do about it? Presumably they would have done something. I'm suggesting whatever that something is shouldn't have to wait until someone is killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's stupid no matter where it happens, but it can happen anywhere.
Okay. But I think most Calgarians would be surprised to learn that the fence between the Tsuu T'ina and Calgary may as well be a fence between Canada and Bolivia for all the influence police and government in Calgary have over what happens on the other side.

Anyway, next time anything like this happens it's straight to the media to embarrass the City, my councillor, police, etc. It probably won't achieve anything, but keeping quiet is guaranteed not to achieve anything, so getting the media involved is worth a try.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-07-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #54
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
One of my coworkers had a rear window shot out driving through that reserve probably about 7 or 8 years ago. When she reported it, the police told her that cars being shot at on 1A is a fairly common occurrence - usually it’s a BB gun but sometimes a 22.
WTF!

Last time I drove 1A from Cochrane to Canmore (circa 2008), it was an absolute joy to drive. It was this nice winding highway that, if you weren't behind anyone, you could really have fun carving the corners.

Looks like I'm not going to try that any time soon. Damn.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #55
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

30mm? Were they driving a tank?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #56
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Looks like I'm not going to try that any time soon. Damn.
I think 'fairly common' is rather exaggerated. I drive that thing multiple times weekly and still have all my windows in tact. Impossible, no, but I really doubt common.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #57
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I think 'fairly common' is rather exaggerated. I drive that thing multiple times weekly and still have all my windows in tact. Impossible, no, but I really doubt common.
Yeah fairly common meaning cars are hit several times a year, so considering the amount of traffic on 1A, it’s still a minuscule chance.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #58
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cbc reporting an arrest had been made
Old 08-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #59
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is Tsuu T'ina? Interested non-Calgarian.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #60
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The First Nations band who neighbour Calgary on the West. Used to be called the Sarcee.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: