cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #42
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Faster Neddy!

I can't, it's a Geo!

(I may or may not say this anytime I see a Geo)

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #43
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The amazing part is that I don't even need to watch half the clips. I just see the title or preview screenshot and the whole scene plays out in my head and I start laughing.

It always amazes me that there is hardly a bad episode, IMO, from Season 2 to the end of Season 9 (although season 9 has a few questionable episodes).

It's not just like "oh they were good for a while" it is literally hundreds (well more than a hundred anyway) of episodes in a row that are absolutely amazing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #44
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite enjoyed season 9. Moreso than season 8.

The quality in episodes definitely took a hit after season 9 though. Still, the show was still very good until about 2003 or 2004.

I'd say halfway through season 14 is when it completely turned for the worst, never to look back.

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #45
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I have the first 13 episodes on DVD (I'll get the rest)

Loved this show, my all time favourite.

I haven't really watched it in about 10 years or so now, I do catch the odd episode and it seems like it's improved from the Boy Band Join the Navy horrible days, to decedent possibly above average sitcom. But what it once was? Oh no, not even close.

I often toy with the idea of determining when the show truly jumped the shark, rating my favourite episodes, or even starting a blog discussing each and every episode.

Someday, perhaps when I'm retired

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I have the first 13 episodes on DVD (I'll get the rest)

Loved this show, my all time favourite.

I haven't really watched it in about 10 years or so now, I do catch the odd episode and it seems like it's improved from the Boy Band Join the Navy horrible days, to decedent possibly above average sitcom. But what it once was? Oh no, not even close.

I often toy with the idea of determining when the show truly jumped the shark, rating my favourite episodes, or even starting a blog discussing each and every episode.

Someday, perhaps when I'm retired
Two words: Armin Tamzarian
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #47
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Homer, there's a man here who can help you!
Is it Batman?
It's a scientist.
Batman's a scientist?
IT'S NOT BATMAN!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never enjoyed the Simpsons in an episodic (is that a word?) sense. I have always enjoyed it piece meal and because of that there are so many episodes I have missed that I can look forward to viewing in the future.

Banking laughs I guess.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #49
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Two words: Armin Tamzarian
That's not necessarily true seeing how "The Principal and the Pauper" was the second episode of season nine, and yet the majority of that season would be considered good to very good imo. Not quite the levels of greatness in prior seasons of course, but still a high quality show.

Quality Episodes from season 9 include:
Lisa's Sax (I love the Twin Peaks reference)
Treehouse of Horror VIII (just the mutants part though)... you call this prime rib, bleh.
The Cartridge family (who would have known Portugal vs. Mexico is actually a good soccer game).
Lisa the Skeptic (one of the better Lisa episodes)
Reality Bites (a great Lionel Hutz appearance)
The Joy of Sect (na na na batman)
Lisa the Simpson (another decent Lisa episode I guess)
The Trouble With Trillions
Trash of the Titans
King of the Hill

While I would hesitate to call any of those episodes classic, I wouldn't call them a major drop off from season nine.

Now season ten on the other hand is when the show completely fell apart; there may be 3-4 episodes that are worth watching. It's hard to really say what exactly happened, but I don't think it was one event. I blame a series of issues (new writers, new animation, death of Phil Hartman, Family Guy rivalry, George Bush is elected, Y2K, dilution of voice talent, over-reliance on guest stats, actors strike, etc).

I also blame the fact that the entire show and team became too self aware of itself and bought into their hype. Everyone seemed to become lazy all of sudden, and the show suffered tremendously as a result.

You watch it today and all the show is all about being "hip" and being a sad pop culture reference. During the shows prime they rarely bothered making light of real world events, or forcing comedy. Really the show has sold out like Krusty the Clown is always being accused of, and is just a tired out hack much like him...

Still my favorite show of all time though! Always has been, always will be. I even watch the new episodes out of routine, but they should feel great shame over the quality of some of the episodes these days. Did anyone watch the Lady Gaga episode by chance? I don't need to say much more to back up my opinion if you did.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #50
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

This one thing from the show that stood out for me more than the other things was how Homer kept on called Jesus Jebus. i found it fricken hilarious when i was a kid:

Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #51
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Theres so many good episodes in the first few seasons. I really like the one where Bart and Lisa help Krusty reconcile with is father. Or the one where Bart takes over Camp Krusty.
The Halloween special whee Homer sells his soul for a donut and the broad street bullies are the jurors is pretty good too. The division of ironic punishments always cracks me up.

"So, you like donuts hey?"

EDIT: I forgot about the Kwik e Mart episode with James Woods. The scene with him and Jimbo Jones is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Last edited by Magnum PEI; 07-21-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #52
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not exactly an episode, but having the entire cast of Frasier do the voices for Sideshow Bob's family was utter genius.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #53
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Homer shooting Marge in the face with his makeup gun invention which is set to whore and How to Cook Forty Humans are two of my favorite scenes. This thread makes me want to binge through the entire series again. Such a great show. Just like Seinfeld...it Blows my mind how they come up with some of this stuff.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #54
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
This one thing from the show that stood out for me more than the other things was how Homer kept on called Jesus Jebus. i found it fricken hilarious when i was a kid:

It shocks me how many people still say 'jeebus' and have no idea where the term was coined from.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #55
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up, the monorail episode is on Comedy right now.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #56
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just looking at the back of both my season 8 & 9 DVD's, I'd argue season 8 is the superior one there. Both are still quality seasons though, better than 7, and of course better than any of the crap they've put together from 10-whatever way too high # its at now. I'd say the first dip in quality happened after season 6, when it fell from all-time status to just a very good show. Then after 9 the wheels fell off.

As for the OP, chalk me up for Last Exit to Springfield as my all-time favourite. Anything from 4-6 is pure gold though. And have to agree that season 5 had the best Treehouse of Horror (Donut Hell, etc..), haha I love in the "gremlin on the bus" part when Hans Moleman's car stops right before the tree & still explodes, man they loved 'splosions that season.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just looking at the back of both my season 8 & 9 DVD's, I'd argue season 8 is the superior one there. Both are still quality seasons though, better than 7, and of course better than any of the crap they've put together from 10-whatever way too high # its at now. I'd say the first dip in quality happened after season 6, when it fell from all-time status to just a very good show. Then after 9 the wheels fell off.

As for the OP, chalk me up for Last Exit to Springfield as my all-time favourite. Anything from 4-6 is pure gold though. And have to agree that season 5 had the best Treehouse of Horror (Donut Hell, etc..), haha I love in the "gremlin on the bus" part when Hans Moleman's car stops right before the tree & still explodes, man they loved 'splosions that season.
Otto there's a Gremlin on the side of the bus!

Don't worry Bart dude I got it!

Otto proceeds to run Hans Moleman off the road.

Two great parodies there. The Shatner Twilight zone and the fact that Gremlins used to explode with but a minor touch.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #58
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm seein double....

*rubs eyes*

Four Krustys!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #59
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I was looking for a different quote and found this:

Motto for Springfield Penitentiary - If you commited murder, you'd be home by now.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #60
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
Haha they love that one, Lionel Hutz also uses it as a sales pitch when he's a realtor (with Marge) in season 9: "If you lived here, you'd be home by now".

Was just trying to think of quotes to add to the thread but there's so many of them I don't even know where to start, its almost overwhelming.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote