Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

if ever there was a time to bring back GM Connected this is it. We won't have a real-life regular season for a long time. Bring back GM Connected, and people can make seasons and stream them.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #22
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

First look at NHL 21 today. Ovechkin's on the cover. Not much gameplay video yet, but they do show someone doing the behind the net lacrosse goal.

typical EA garbage. Does anyone playing this game complain it's not real enough of a game because a move that is pulled off 1 maybe 2 times in a year isn't in the game?!?!

I'll wait to share any real opinions on the game till we see more...
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
First look at NHL 21 today. Ovechkin's on the cover. Not much gameplay video yet, but they do show someone doing the behind the net lacrosse goal.

typical EA garbage. Does anyone playing this game complain it's not real enough of a game because a move that is pulled off 1 maybe 2 times in a year isn't in the game?!?!

I'll wait to share any real opinions on the game till we see more...
No way I would buy NHL 21 since they're not even bothering with a next gen version. I might get NHL 22 after it gets discounted by 50%. Last NHL game I got was NHL 17.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #24
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a full blown Be a Pro storymode is being introduced like the other major sports games have. That's pretty cool.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #25
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that even Ovechkin's voice? Doesn't sound like in the least.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Is that even Ovechkin's voice? Doesn't sound like in the least.
Don’t think it’s meant to be.

My guess is that it’s just a generic voice over a voice being used in the be a pro story.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #27
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Wonder if it's getting the treatment that's been in some of the other madden games where the be a pro has a story?
Old 08-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Wonder if it's getting the treatment that's been in some of the other madden games where the be a pro has a story?
It is.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #29
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It is.
Ah, found the press release:

Quote:
“The brand new Be A Pro experience enhances the game’s narrative and quality of life, giving players the chance to live the life of an NHL star, both on and off the ice.

Impress the front office, go early on draft day, and chase greatness as players earn a spot on the first line, compete for the Stanley Cup, and become the league’s next best. Players can work their way from a chippy bottom six forward to a must-see superstar.”
Kinda cool I guess. I don't know... as a guy who just plays vanilla Be a GM, this game has kinda passed me by. Talking to friends who play hut or go through tutorials to learn all the crazy-ass moves, it sounds like a totally different game from what I'm playing.

Kills me a bit that I can't play a proper season with friends. Then again when you look at EA NHL forums and wish lists, it sounds like no two people ever play this game the same way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #30
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Ah, found the press release:

Kinda cool I guess. I don't know... as a guy who just plays vanilla Be a GM, this game has kinda passed me by. Talking to friends who play hut or go through tutorials to learn all the crazy-ass moves, it sounds like a totally different game from what I'm playing.

Kills me a bit that I can't play a proper season with friends. Then again when you look at EA NHL forums and wish lists, it sounds like no two people ever play this game the same way.
that's my exact situation also. I don't like online play much, as I find that after the first month, enough players know how to glitch the game enough where it's not a hockey game anymore.

I revert to playing offline seasons/Be a GM, but those are pretty damn boring, especially if the game play sucks (which it has for the past 5 years).

I play madden franchise (be a gm equivalent) and the drafting/free agency/trading/player progression just feels a lot more interesting and fun. I have played out the dolphins rebuild 2 times over now, and it's so much fun, whether you sim the games or not. (oh by the way, I downloaded a shared roster created by someone that includes all the updated rosters with all the new draft picks, something you can do in madden for a few years now!!!).

the be a gm experience in NHL is piss poor. The scout management seems stupid to me, and there's little to no feedback on whether the approach I'm using is good or bad (madden has this so much better where you can get a tangible feel for how your season long scouting has helped you or not come draft day, and the ability to find some gems in the late rounds). Simming seasons is painful as there are so many interruptions, but I can't even turn them off (as an example, I run the risk of my auto-coach bringing up a player that is not waiver exempt (and you run the risk of losing them when inured players get back). At least they are doing something in this game to apparently make trade deadline day more interesting.

I'd be just fine with the broken game modes, if they could just fix the gameplay. Especially offline, the game play is downright stupid as you try to increase the difficulty level to all-star.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #31
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
the be a gm experience in NHL is piss poor. The scout management seems stupid to me, and there's little to no feedback on whether the approach I'm using is good or bad (madden has this so much better where you can get a tangible feel for how your season long scouting has helped you or not come draft day, and the ability to find some gems in the late rounds). Simming seasons is painful as there are so many interruptions, but I can't even turn them off (as an example, I run the risk of my auto-coach bringing up a player that is not waiver exempt (and you run the risk of losing them when inured players get back). At least they are doing something in this game to apparently make trade deadline day more interesting.

I'd be just fine with the broken game modes, if they could just fix the gameplay. Especially offline, the game play is downright stupid as you try to increase the difficulty level to all-star.
The worst part of the franchise mode is the semi-broken chemistry system. I find it completely unclear on how to build proper chemistry within your coaching staff, and then how to find players that actually fit the system (it's largely trial and error).

That said, the two things you've described are fixable. Setting auto-coach to minimal ensures they only replace injured players, won't scramble the lines (which is important once you set the best lines for chemistry) and won't put anyone on waivers that is waiver eligible.

As far as scouting goes, you really just have to worry about having the right number of scouts in the right areas (OHL, WHL, and QJMHL mostly) and at least one scout in each other area. They do indicate Gems and Busts, so you can identify later round Gems, and if they're good enough (they should all be minimum B-) you'll have a draft list you that may change who you pick, and allow you to pick better with who is left.

The franchise mode is incredibly deep, it's just not intuitive so it takes forever to get a clear handle on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #32
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing the beta...

What a terrible game man. Game play is basically 99.999% as nhl 20.

Like this is embarrassing for ea. Hope they suffer economically enough to decide to actually change the game.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #33
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's still on the goddamned Ignite engine while everything else is on Frostbite.

Watch, Frostbite will come to the NHL series just as EA launches their next-gen engine on FIFA.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it’s pretty embarrassing that they went a whole generation without porting NHL from the ignite engine to Frostbite.

I think the issue is the game just hasn’t sold very well, so they put less money into it, in turn it sells even less, and the cycle continues.

Honestly I’m okay with 21 being just a roster update and reskin of NHL 20 if it means they are actually funneling resources to an actual Next Gen worthy, frostbyte engine version of NHL 22.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #35
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The new dump/board dekes are actually really useful I've found. I scored a pretty nice goal yesterday with the bump off the back of the net and spin around move.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

stop buying this garbage if you actually want something different
Old 09-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #37
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are over 60 million Nintendo switches out there and EA is still unwilling make a Port that they came lazily re-brand every year
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #38
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when EA Sports games noticably improved from year to year.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #39
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
stop buying this garbage if you actually want something different
with 2 little kids now, this is basically the only video game I play. Online is a brutal experience for me, so stick to offline modes like be a gm, but the game play has been pretty frigin bad offline (and online for that matter).

I'm contemplating making this the first year since the 90s to not buy this year's game, but with no real alternatives, I'm doubtful to stay strong.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #40
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I remember when EA Sports games noticably improved from year to year.
93 to 94?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote