Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #6881
stazzy33
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
I didn't say it wasn't important, I said it wasn't as important.

In fact, they are probably more concerned about false positives, as millions of false positives out there would create significant other problems.
So accuracy is important? Sorry, it's hard to figure out what your point is when you flip flopping worse than a fish out of water.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:25 PM   #6882
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't important, I said it wasn't as important.

In fact, they are probably more concerned about false positives, as millions of false positives out there would create significant other problems.
False negatives are always worse than false positives.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #6883
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone thinking that widespread regular rapid testing is remotely feasible should do the math on the numbers required. Abbott is the biggest player and they've scaled up to the point where they can produce 600M of them a year. That would get the average American adult one test every 6 months.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #6884
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
So accuracy is important? Sorry, it's hard to figure out what your point is when you flip flopping worse than a fish out of water.
'Important' is a relative term.
BoLevi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #6885
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
False negatives are always worse than false positives.
In diagnostics, sure...but population level screening is a different kettle of fish. False positives and false negatives create different problems.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #6886
Boreal
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Do you really think it is a problem after we just announced another $100B in COVID spending? Give me a break. The benefits of rapid testing are well-established in the scientific community. Government should be pouring money into this, but they don't because governments are bad at prioritizing and spending money.

Do I think they should be wasted on going to a restaurant? No.
The flaw in your continued oversimplified humping of rapid testing is the pandemic has created an almost entirely new field of medical inquiry.

High Quality Spit.
(which incidentally is also a great name for a punk band, but I digress).

A large portion of the costs of administering rapid testing in a restaurant are employing a competent medical professional to administer the test.

People canít figure out masks, so fool proof rapid testing for Covid unfortunately has a long way to go.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #6887
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Anyone thinking that widespread regular rapid testing is remotely feasible should do the math on the numbers required. Abbott is the biggest player and they've scaled up to the point where they can produce 600M of them a year. That would get the average American adult one test every 6 months.
The Abbott tests are not the rapid antigen tests that are being proposed. They're good, but too costly and less convenient.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #6888
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The flaw in your continued oversimplified humping of rapid testing is the pandemic has created an almost entirely new field of medical inquiry.

High Quality Spit.
(which incidentally is also a great name for a punk band, but I digress).

A large portion of the costs of administering rapid testing in a restaurant are employing a competent medical professional to administer the test.

People canít figure out masks, so fool proof rapid testing for Covid unfortunately has a long way to go.
You're wrong.

Rapid antigen paper tests don't need a healthcare professional.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #6889
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In diagnostics, sure...but population level screening is a different kettle of fish. False positives and false negatives create different problems.
I should have known better than to get sucked in.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #6890
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

We haven't seen the cases jump to another ledge yet. Can we get hopeful that they will start plateauing soon?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #6891
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't yesterday a new high? Seems a little early to get hopeful. I've abandoned all hope. Its all suck, all the way down.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #6892
Boreal
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're wrong.

Rapid antigen paper tests don't need a healthcare professional.

Please come with a better source than a video that was uploaded to this thread months ago, like youíre some kind of sage.

A lot of people have seen it. Hmmm... if itís that simple... why hasnít it been distributed.

Can you tell me Michael Minaís expertise in the administration, adjudication, and application of medical testing protocols procedures safety and reliability? Right. And I donít need a pharmacist to take my pills either.

Heís a researcher and a physician. Yeah heís super smart on the science, logistics are a completely different field.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #6893
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hinshaw today started the soft open on the "you can't have Christmas dinner with your family" thing. I think they need to rip the band-aid off on that as soon as possible, but at least they're talking about it.

My family members are all trying to convince me to come see them for Christmas. It was relatively easy to convince my dad that it was a terrible idea for anyone to do that, but my mom, who is generally extremely stubborn, is a tougher sell, despite the fact that she has her own 92 year old mother to be concerned with.

I dunno, unless they step it up with the enforcement I think we're pretty screwed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #6894
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
If that wasn’t important there would be no ‘good enough’.
If an antibody test was even 50% accurate at catching cases before they are contagious and people could take one every day Covid would disappear at the current level of restrictions.

The problem is that people would use a negative as a license to go out more so you probably need about 80% accuracy to cut transmission by 50%.

You want a a low false postive, higher false negative type test for widespread testing if you can’t have both.

The problem is that you need 30 million per day in Canada alone.

(All numbers made up)

Last edited by GGG; 12-01-2020 at 08:13 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #6895
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hinshaw today started the soft open on the "you can't have Christmas dinner with your family" thing. I think they need to rip the band-aid off on that as soon as possible, but at least they're talking about it.

My family members are all trying to convince me to come see them for Christmas. It was relatively easy to convince my dad that it was a terrible idea for anyone to do that, but my mom, who is generally extremely stubborn, is a tougher sell, despite the fact that she has her own 92 year old mother to be concerned with.

I dunno, unless they step it up with the enforcement I think we're pretty screwed.
I've been thinking through this recently actually. I'm an only child and in many ways, I feel like going back for Christmas dinner with them should be fine but in some ways, feel like we shouldn't even risk anything even with the low risk. My bubble is very small and consists of only my girlfriend. I've seen my parents throughout covid about once every two months or so for dinner at their home, but haven't seen them since the second wave in BC.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #6896
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Please come with a better source than a video that was uploaded to this thread months ago, like youíre some kind of sage.

A lot of people have seen it. Hmmm... if itís that simple... why hasnít it been distributed.

Can you tell me Michael Minaís expertise in the administration, adjudication, and application of medical testing protocols procedures safety and reliability? Right. And I donít need a pharmacist to take my pills either.

Heís a researcher and a physician. Yeah heís super smart on the science, logistics are a completely different field.
The Medcram video I linked was from November 25th. It's an update on the current status of rapid antigen tests.

The consensus at the moment is that the barrier to rapid antigen tests is largely regulatory. We certainly have the ability to distribute these things and they aren't that complicated to take/administer. About the same as a pregnancy test. Do you think we should be limiting women's access to pregnancy tests because they are difficult to administer "safely and reliably"?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #6897
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of the issue is, how are you getting there? If you're flying, that's a terrible idea. If you're driving, fine, but be prepared for the weather. I wouldn't be willing to commit to that drive in the last week of December, especially not knowing how it'll look on the way back a week later.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #6898
Boreal
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Medcram video I linked was from November 25th. It's an update on the current status of rapid antigen tests.

The consensus at the moment is that the barrier to rapid antigen tests is largely regulatory. We certainly have the ability to distribute these things and they aren't that complicated to take/administer. About the same as a pregnancy test. Do you think we should be limiting women's access to pregnancy tests because they are difficult to administer "safely and reliably"?
Last time I checked pregnancy tests have been around for a while and if I screw it up then I can NOT potentially infects other people with anything.

The analogy is useful, but limited.

Your arguments are completely circular.

ďWe need rapid tests!!!Ē

No one argues this. Itís a great idea. But if it was as oversimplified and straightforward as it is in your head it would be completed.

ďYou can properly test at home!!Ē

If you can then why havenít tests been pumped out like chewing gum?

ďThe problem is regulatory!!!Ē

How is the ability to ensure adequate accurate tests at home not a regulation exactly?