Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #2261
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was Link’s Awakening any good? I understood it was a bit of a let down from previous Zelda incarnations.

I don’t know why I am addicted to ACNH. It’s so dumb and materialistic, yet, here there I am playing it, turning clams into fishing bait to try and get a golden trout.
It plays like the old 2D Zeldas. So if you have the Nintendo online and like Link to the Past this is similar with better graphics and more responsive movement.

It is a very linear game. It is nothing like BOTW

I enjoyed the story 20-30 hours. I bought new and was able to sell for $50 so well worth it. Kids also liked it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #2262
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've played the GB version, so know what it is about. I think even at $50 the price is probably a little steep, but I have this $50 gift card burning a hole in my pocket that is supposed to be used for something fun for me, not lame, like food for survival.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #2263
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
For anyone interested, a digital copy of mario rabbids is $15 today. Normally $79.
Are you looking at US prices? I see Rabbids for $19.99
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #2264
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo consoles always win best system for me. Partially because I am a Nintendo fan boy, but mostly because they make games which are actually innovative and don't rely on sequential button-mashing sequences designed to look like a cutscene or super linear, formulaic action games that all look the same.

Like BOTW is peerless and Super Mario Odyssey is just a joy to play. I don't think you really get either experience on the PS4 or Xbox 1.

Last edited by peter12; 11-24-2020 at 10:29 AM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #2265
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was Link’s Awakening any good? I understood it was a bit of a let down from previous Zelda incarnations.

I don’t know why I am addicted to ACNH. It’s so dumb and materialistic, yet, here there I am playing it, turning clams into fishing bait to try and get a golden trout.
I'll say I was very let down with Link's Awakening. My first Zelda game was Ocarina of Time, so I never played those old versions and had no nostalgia factor. I wouldn't recommend if you never played those old 2D type games.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #2266
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Are you looking at US prices? I see Rabbids for $19.99
And then you should just get the gold edition for $8 more cause the Donkey Kong expansion is awesome.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #2267
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'll say I was very let down with Link's Awakening. My first Zelda game was Ocarina of Time, so I never played those old versions and had no nostalgia factor. I wouldn't recommend if you never played those old 2D type games.

I have only done BOTW, so I am not sure if I would feel the same level of let-down as somebody more into them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #2268
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Nintendo consoles always win best system for me. Partially because I am a Nintendo fan boy, but mostly because they make games which are actually innovative and don't rely on sequential button-mashing sequences designed to look like a cutscene or super linear, formulaic action games that all look the same.

Like BOTW is peerless and Super Mario Odyssey is just a joy to play. I don't think you really get either experience on the PS4 or Xbox 1.

Nintendo is great for what it is, but the majority of their exclusives are aimed at children. I’ve loved having my switch as a secondary console.

I think your description of PS4/Xbox titles is unfair given the breadth and quality of games available on those systems.

It’s been this way for a long time- Nintendo is in a different market than Sony and Microsoft
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #2269
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed that Nintendo is a different market, but I'd say their work is aimed at more casual gamers as opposed to just children. My wife would likely never play anything on our Playstation, but has several games in her rotation on the Switch. They've done a great job at tapping into a market that's been essentially ignored by Playstation and Xbox.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #2270
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sackboy is better than any Nintendo platformer outside of the main Mario series.

Switch peaked very early with BOTW and Mario Odyssey. The rest of their output has been good, but nothing quite reaching those highs.

Monster Hunter Rise looks prime though.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #2271
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone played Hyrule Warriors yet?? I have it waiting at home, probably won't get to play any until the weekend.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #2272
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

My biggest gripe with Link's Awakening was how it seemed to be quite solid and then the framerate will randomly tank for no real reason. Otherwise it's a faithful recreation of the original, which is quite good. I'd still rather play Link to the Past if I had to choose one.

As for the sale, I'd recommend Hades and Slay the Spire as two good indie choices that will eat up tons of your time.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #2273
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just made the jump for a Switch during a Black Friday sale. My wife is interested in a traditional Mario game. Is Super Mario Bros U Deluxe the game for her or are there other options?

Personally I’m looking forward to seeing if Breath of the Wild lives up to the hype.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #2274
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I just made the jump for a Switch during a Black Friday sale. My wife is interested in a traditional Mario game. Is Super Mario Bros U Deluxe the game for her or are there other options?

Personally I’m looking forward to seeing if Breath of the Wild lives up to the hype.
When you say traditional, do you mean the original ones? All the old NES and SNES Mario games are included if you pay for Switch Online.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #2275
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Anyone played Hyrule Warriors yet?? I have it waiting at home, probably won't get to play any until the weekend.
I played through the demo when it first came out. It was fun and I enjoyed it, but didn't convince me it was worth paying for. I expect I'll be waiting on BOTW2 for my next Zelda purchase.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #2276
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
When you say traditional, do you mean the original ones? All the old NES and SNES Mario games are included if you pay for Switch Online.
I meant the traditional side scroller platform style, not the more modern 3D or RPG styles.

Thanks for the advise. Playing the old games online seems like a good solution for now.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #2277
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like there’s a lot of newer gamers in here at the moment, I have a few Indie recommendations that are on sale for Black Friday:

INSIDE - on sale for $8.50 and it’s a masterpiece. Here’s the reviews: https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/inside — but you’re best to go in as blind as possible

Axiom Verge - https://www.dekudeals.com/items/axiom-verge - a fantastic Metroid style game with awesome atmosphere and music

Golf Story - https://www.dekudeals.com/items/golf-story - a hilarious sports RPG with great characters and story

Just a few to get started on that are currently on sale, a little more varied recommendation than just Mario - Zelda - Smash
I
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 03:39 AM   #2278
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered. Forgot how much fun the earlier games in the series were.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #2279
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

My partner is a very inexperienced gamer and has a hard time with 3D games, so easy-ish platformers are her jam. We played through Super Mario Bros U Deluxe on the Switch and had a blast. If you have a problem with a level, Nabbit is always there to help keep things light. It's much less infuriating than the original Marios in that life count doesn't matter all that much.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #2280
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Ok CP, I need advice. My kids are getting a switch to share for Christmas. I was able to score the bundle with a digital download of Mario Kart. My kids are 6 and 4 so what games would you suggest? Should I be looking at getting a pro controller for them or will the little ones suffice? Are there any other accessories you guys recommend? What else should I know?

The last nintendo system I owned was an N64, so I am pretty rusty on their ecosystem. Also, I do plan on getting it out of the box and running updates and getting the game installed so Christmas morning isn't a dud.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote