Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #1601
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally spent some time with my new 85X900H and all the rest of my new toys (Denon AVR-S750, PS5, Xbox Series X). The TV is amazing. Coming from a 1080P Sharp (which was great) and going to a 4K HDR is...incredible. Everything out of the box with the TV is fantastic.

One thing of note is that the footprint is massive. We have a 60" wide stand and had to buy a table top from Ikea to put on top because the width with legs is 60 1/8". And the width of the legs themselves are around 17". If you do decide to go with this model just make sure to measure before hand.

Set up is as follows:

HDMI 1: empty
HDMI 2: PS5
HDMI 3: Receiver (arc)
HDMI 4: Xbox Series X

I haven't added the new HDMI 2.1 firmware because the menu says I'm update to date so it might be a manual install. Wanting to try this whole 120Hz thing out.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #1602
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably reading this wrong but you're plugging all those devices into your TV?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #1603
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'm probably reading this wrong but you're plugging all those devices into your TV?
You've read correctly. Yeah! The only thing that I'm plugging into the receiver is the AppleTV. The reason for this is because I still wanted the lossless audio decoding capabilities that the receiver has. So thought is that all fancy equipment plugs directly into the TV so I get 4K/120Hz capabilities. Audio gets passed to the receiver from the TV via Arc/EArc.

In a year or two once HDMI 2.1 is more adopted with receivers I'll upgrade so I have more 2.1 inputs. Right now the TV just has two - one is dedicated for the arc/earc channel and the other is available for some other hardware.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #1604
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing your receiver doesn't support 4K/120Hz?
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #1605
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
You've read correctly. Yeah! The only thing that I'm plugging into the receiver is the AppleTV. The reason for this is because I still wanted the lossless audio decoding capabilities that the receiver has. So thought is that all fancy equipment plugs directly into the TV so I get 4K/120Hz capabilities. Audio gets passed to the receiver from the TV via Arc/EArc.

In a year or two once HDMI 2.1 is more adopted with receivers I'll upgrade so I have more 2.1 inputs. Right now the TV just has two - one is dedicated for the arc/earc channel and the other is available for some other hardware.
Ah, e-arc, OK. I'm no expert but thought you were plugging into regular arc and pretty sure those aren't lossless, are they?
Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #1606
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ah, e-arc, OK. I'm no expert but thought you were plugging into regular arc and pretty sure those aren't lossless, are they?
No no, you're absolutely right. I think right now the audio is being passed over Arc compressed so the most I get is Dolby Digital+ (I think). Though, when I use the native apps on the TV the receiver shows Dolby Atmos so I don't know what's going on there (or maybe I'm mis-remembering).

So right now it's just normal Arc because I need a firmware update to enable eArc (plus 120Hz and the AppleTV app). I'm just trying to figure out which firmware to go with because it seems like lots of folks are having lots of issues with firmware upgrades (audio loss via Arc/eArc, TV stability, etc.). And I think some of the firmware can't be backed out of. Seems like not a good time to be updating.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #1607
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm guessing your receiver doesn't support 4K/120Hz?
Correct. It seems like this year all receivers that support HDMI 2.1 are having issues or only have one port that is HDMI 2.1. I had a receiver from six or seven years ago so I just bought a newer refurbished one that supported 4K/60 and the modern audio codecs to tide me over till 2022 or when HDMI 2.1 gets sorted on receivers. Right now I only have one truly dedicated HDMI 2.1 port so I'll have to swtich between Xbox Series X and PS5 if I want to take advantage of the 2.1 features.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #1608
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the home theatre market is such a disaster. This can't be the best way.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #1609
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Man, the home theatre market is such a disaster. This can't be the best way.

When it comes to sound, I couldn't agree more. Luckily, everything is basically HDMI now.

The amount I had to figure out just to get DTS 5.1 working the way I wanted on a soundbar was surprising.

That being said, I think it will be much easier when I finally get a true home theatre going. I want me that sweet sweet HD Master Audio goodness.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #1610
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is, you buy a setup, and everything works. Then you buy one new thing, and it doesn't work with the hundreds or thousands you just invested. Like, my receiver works perfectly fine. But it can't decode the new codecs, so now it's kinda garbage.

If you could buy an IO panel or something, and just upgrade that, it'd be better. Kinda like you used to have to buy an AC3 decoder, then route the decoded feed to the receiver.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #1611
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Like, my receiver works perfectly fine. But it can't decode the new codecs, so now it's kinda garbage.
Well that's kinds surprising. That should be something pushed out via updates, is that not a thing with receivers?

I guess that's why people say to spend money on the speakers and not so much on receivers as that's the part you're going to be updating most.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #1612
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, my speakers haven't been replaced in a while. I don't know if you ever need to replace them? From what I understand Dolby Atmos uses speakers in a unique way but it doesn't require you to have new speakers. I think you may need additional speakers (e.g. the ceiling ones) but you can use what you have.

So I upgraded the firmware and enabled eArc. The Xbox Series X is passing Dolby Atmos to the receiver which is great! I assume that because the receiver is showing Dolby Atmos it's getting someone it needs to decode. I had to change the Xbox settings from "uncompressed 5.1" to bitstream and then select "Dolby Atmost" and I had to download the Dolby app.

I also tried Ori (the new one) at 4K/120Hz. Sure enough, I noticed a bit of the blurring knowing with 120Hz on the 900H. I ended up liking supersampled 6K @ 60Hz.

Really really happy with the 900H and for it's price-point it's really good. For those that are looking for a new TV you should check the model out. I think it's on sale during Black Friday.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #1613
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, my speakers haven't been replaced in a while. I don't know if you ever need to replace them? From what I understand Dolby Atmos uses speakers in a unique way but it doesn't require you to have new speakers. I think you may need additional speakers (e.g. the ceiling ones) but you can use what you have.

So I upgraded the firmware and enabled eArc
. The Xbox Series X is passing Dolby Atmos to the receiver which is great! I assume that because the receiver is showing Dolby Atmos it's getting someone it needs to decode. I had to change the Xbox settings from "uncompressed 5.1" to bitstream and then select "Dolby Atmost" and I had to download the Dolby app.

I also tried Ori (the new one) at 4K/120Hz. Sure enough, I noticed a bit of the blurring knowing with 120Hz on the 900H. I ended up liking supersampled 6K @ 60Hz.

Really really happy with the 900H and for it's price-point it's really good. For those that are looking for a new TV you should check the model out. I think it's on sale during Black Friday.
Ya, see, stuff like this is why it's a disaster.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #1614
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if you ever need to replace them? From what I understand Dolby Atmos uses speakers in a unique way but it doesn't require you to have new speakers. I think you may need additional speakers (e.g. the ceiling ones) but you can use what you have.
Yes, you'd need to add up-firing speakers to your existing set up. Maybe ceiling ones like you mentioned, not sure.

You can also buy Atmos ready speakers as well.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 11-26-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #1615
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've been tasked with looking for a TV, 65-75" range and the primary use is probably going to be console gaming and then some casual movie watching.

Any suggestions? The last TV I got was a Vizio and I really like it but that's not an option anymore I guess. TCL then? Which series there would be good for gaming?

Or Hisense?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-2020/14878629
Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #1616
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've been tasked with looking for a TV, 65-75" range and the primary use is probably going to be console gaming and then some casual movie watching.

Any suggestions? The last TV I got was a Vizio and I really like it but that's not an option anymore I guess. TCL then? Which series there would be good for gaming?

Or Hisense?

I have the 58" version of the one you linked to. It's a great TV but I've noticed a lot of backlight bleeding along the edges. But I think it's because the 58" version is not a full array local dimming TV. I think you'd be happy with the picture quality. Can't comment on gaming though.

Depending on your budget, I'd really look at the X900H model lineup from Sony. I have the 85" and I am amazed at the quality of the TV. You can get the 65" from Costco when it's in stock.

https://www.costco.ca/sony-75-in.-4k...100656770.html

Last edited by Meelapo; 11-29-2020 at 11:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #1617
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Or Hisense?

I have that HiSense TV in the 65" size and I'm quite happy with it. PS5 games look and play fantastic on it, and having Android TV built-in is great. rtings.com gave it their best budget TV award

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...-on-the-market
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #1618
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good enough! Presented the options to the wife and she leaned towards the 75" one so went and grabbed it.

I haven't even got it out of the box yet but jeez this thing is stupid big.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #1619
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been working in my basement (painting, built a room for my son, etc) and throughout the process discovered that my old receiver died. The wife mentioned a new tv and it was game on. So my new set-up is as follows:
. Samsung 65 inch QN65Q7DT tv
. Sony STR-DH790 receiver
. Sony Dolby atmos speakers
. Polk speaker setup with two sub-woofers
. Sony hdr/4K DVD player
. Apple 4K box

I was initially in-impressed with the set up, I then discovered some speaker wiring issues, and that fixed my disappointment. The only thing that would make me want to leave the house for a movie is the popcorn. The Dolby atmos seems to add a little extra pop to movies.

I am likely in for about $3k all told, and I am happy. so I can only imagine what some of these $20k systems must sound like.

Upstairs we have a $500 home theatre in a box and I revisited that set up and discovered some speaker issues as well and it sounds much better as well.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #1620
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This has been a good info thread and there seems to be knowledgeable people here so maybe someone has a solution for me. I've contacted Pioneer support and hit a dead end there

I have a Pioneer home theatre in a box (HTP-074 with the VSX-325 receiver). It's from 2016. I've noticed lately that dialogue seems to echo in the rear channels no matter what content (Roku, Blu-Ray, cable box) or sound mode (pure direct, ALC/Standard etc) I have it on.

The weird part is that it seems to not be consistent. As far as I've read dialogue almost always comes from the centre channel but it almost seems like the echo happens when the dialogue is on the front L/R channels (as note I have the Roku and cable output through ARC and the receiver is plugged into HDMI ARC. But when I tried a Blu-Ray player plugged directly into the receiver (Blade Runner 2049 if that helps), the dialogue seems to echo consistently in the rears and I'm thinking this is not intentionally part of the content nor did I have this issue on my upstairs soundbar.

I should mention I did open the unit up to fix the connection for the sub since it was not working so did I maybe screw something up in there? The connections all seem fine though.

Sorry for the long/rambling post but it's been bugging me and want to see if it's something I can maybe fix or if the unit is faulty.
ajr4013 is online now   Reply With Quote