Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #161
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I just find it rather annoying that new releases are available on the US Netflix and not in Canada.
Is this the case? I have never looked at the US catalogue myself but have heard that the selection of new releases stateside is minimal too.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #162
Prototype

Exp:

I read somewhere the CEO of Netflix say they aren't offering New Releases right away, because they are not in the market to challenge our providers, who all now offer on demand on new release movies.

Netflix is a great option if you're someone who enjoys just browsing a library of movies for something that jumps out at you.

If you're the type of renter that goes to Blockbuster to find a specific movie, this isn't for you. If you're the type that will go and look through all the older movies, the comedy, horror, action shelves, hoping to see something that will trigger the want to watch, Netflix is catered more to you.

Since moving to Bell about 2 years ago, my wife and I missed the On Demand service we had with Shaw... being able to search through hundreds of older movies. It was easy to get signed up on Netflix when it popped up.

BTW... I've watched all of the Godzilla cartoons atleast 3 times each since starting up with Netflix. My 2 year old loves them.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #163
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm loving being able to watch shows that I've always wanted to watch but never had access to (i.e. Mad Men).
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #164
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm loving being able to watch shows that I've always wanted to watch but never had access to (i.e. Mad Men).

Same here. The BBC content alone is enough to make me happy. It's fun browsing through the catalog and finding a movie or tv show that I haven't seen or thought about in years. Easily worth the 8 bucks a month.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #165
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Same here. The BBC content alone is enough to make me happy. It's fun browsing through the catalog and finding a movie or tv show that I haven't seen or thought about in years. Easily worth the 8 bucks a month.
Bingo. I'd probably pay a respectable amount just to have access to the bbc content.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #166
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blockbuster sent me an email today, letting me know I could have unlimited rentals for $9.99. It is just on my phone so I don't have any details yet.

Still, I am probably more inclined to have it streamed than be forced to play it on my dvd player.

Edit: Turns out it isn't for new releases, pretty much matching the current NetFlix model, but you can only have 1 DVD out at a time. Seriously if they want me to drive to the freaking store in between movies, or discs of a TV series they have a serious hole in their head.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-05-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #167
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Blockbuster sent me an email today, letting me know I could have unlimited rentals for $9.99. It is just on my phone so I don't have any details yet.
We actually did this the month before Netflix came out, and it kinda made sense as we have a 2 year old Disney freak in our house. We didn't abuse it, but we got our money's worth out of it.

But with Netflix, there's so much family and children content to keep the little guy occupied, I think the only reason I would step foot in a BBV is to rent a new release or buy a previously viewed Bluray, maybe once a month.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #168
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Globe and Mail had a review of Netflix Canada yesterday:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1743107/

I still haven't tried it out as it doesn't work with the Xbox yet, but I'm eager to check it out once it does. I want to watch stuff on my tv, not my PC.

Last edited by Crazy Bacon Legs; 10-06-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling was horrible and grammar done gone bad.
Crazy Bacon Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #169
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been using Nexflix through my Apple TV and it's pretty good I guess. TBQH I expected it to be a little better. I don't mind the movie selection, however it would be nice if they would offer new releases.

Has anyone else noticed that it freezes from time to time during movies? I can only assume it's buffering but it's quite annoying.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #170
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I just got an xbox and I am trying to download netflix but can't find it? I. Allready have it on my ps3's I just can't seem to find where to download it on xbox. First time using this thing
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #171
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So I just got an xbox and I am trying to download netflix but can't find it? I. Allready have it on my ps3's I just can't seem to find where to download it on xbox. First time using this thing
You can't find it because it doesn't exist....yet.

Supposedly within a few weeks but nothing solid that I have seen.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #172
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You'll be able to use Netflix on your XBox 360 when Microsoft releases their fall dashboard update whenever that is.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #173
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

oh dang! I thought they all ready did. When I was googling is it true that only Gold members get access to Netflix? I have no need to pay for xbox live as I don't really game all that much and am just using it to watch dvds and as a mediaserver/netflix
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #174
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
oh dang! I thought they all ready did. When I was googling is it true that only Gold members get access to Netflix? I have no need to pay for xbox live as I don't really game all that much and am just using it to watch dvds and as a mediaserver/netflix
Why aren't you just using your PS3 for these things? Or is it on a different TV?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #175
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Different TV.

I have 1 ps3 set for family room
1 Ps3 for home theater in basement
1 xbox for bedroom streaming

anybody looking to trade an ps3 for an xbox see buy sell forum!

Last edited by fundmark19; 10-12-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #176
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have there been any new releases since the service debuted in Canada? I love the idea of Netflix, especially coupled with the new AppleTV, but I was really hoping for a more regular release schedule. Ideally you'd get several movies and a few TVs shows added like every Thursday or something.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #177
Prototype

Exp:

Things that I hadn't seen before pops up on my lists all the time, but I don't think it's new stuff added, just stuff I hadn't uncovered yet.

The "New Releases" lists haven't changed, that I've noticed.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #178
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Have there been any new releases since the service debuted in Canada? I love the idea of Netflix, especially coupled with the new AppleTV, but I was really hoping for a more regular release schedule. Ideally you'd get several movies and a few TVs shows added like every Thursday or something.
Here is the RSS feed of their new releases:

http://www.netflix.ca/NewWatchInstantlyRSS
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #179
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super Troopers? Gridiron Gang?

Teen Wolf FREAKIN Too?

Those are the new releases?

I look forward to being 90 years old and getting to watch Avatar on it.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #180
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do they have Teen Wolf one? They fricken better.

I hope they amp up the releases for holiday themes like Christmas and Halloween and whatnot. Be easier then trying to decide which movie to download for that x-mas spirit crap.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote