Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #1061
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m giving Hannibal a shot because of these recommendations.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #1062
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m giving Hannibal a shot because of these recommendations.
You're going to love it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #1063
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Fleabag, both enjoyable and uncomfortable at times.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #1064
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started watching Mr Robot. 3 episodes in, and liking it so far. Gives me You/Dexter vibes, but with much more solid acting.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #1065
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Just finished Fleabag, both enjoyable and uncomfortable at times.
That's exactly how I would describe it, but when the funny moments come, it's achingly funny.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #1066
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Started watching Mr Robot. 3 episodes in, and liking it so far. Gives me You/Dexter vibes, but with much more solid acting.
It's a fantastic show. Season 2 is a little uneven, but the last season is worth sticking around for.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #1067
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Godfather of Harlem (CityTV - Shaw on demand). It was pretty good and is loosely based on actual events. Forest Whitaker, Luis Guzman, and Vincent D'Onofrio among the cast.

I am curious about Catch 22, also on the same channel. Might try that one next.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #1068
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm reading I Like To Watch, which is a number of essays about programs I missed and am interested in watching now:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/bo.../9780525508984

Quote:
From The New Yorker’s fiercely original, Pulitzer Prize-winning culture critic, a provocative collection of new and previously published essays arguing that we are what we watch.

“Emily Nussbaum is the perfect critic—smart, engaging, funny, generous, and insightful.”—David Grann, author of Killers of the Flower Moon

NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY NPR • Chicago Tribune Esquire Library Journal Kirkus Reviews
There is a long piece too about the #metoo movement, and whether we can separate the artist from the art.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:32 AM   #1069
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Viceland has a recent series out called "The Dark Side of the Ring". It takes a critical and investigative eye at particular stories in professional wrestling. Episodes include the Killing of Bruiser Brody, the Von Erich curse, and even the Montreal Screwjob.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm really excited to binge this.
Watching this, haven't watched wrestling in 25+ years but the show is pretty well done. It's kind of like 30 for 30 for wrestling but not quite as good. Some pretty crazy behind the scenes stories though (just watched the Snuka one), makes you wonder if old Vince should be doing time. The Benoit one was hard to stomach, haven't seen the Owen Hart one yet.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #1070
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Watching this, haven't watched wrestling in 25+ years but the show is pretty well done. It's kind of like 30 for 30 for wrestling but not quite as good. Some pretty crazy behind the scenes stories though (just watched the Snuka one), makes you wonder if old Vince should be doing time. The Benoit one was hard to stomach, haven't seen the Owen Hart one yet.
I like it a lot. Although I haven't watched wrestling since about 2005, I am a major pro wrestling nerd and love the history and lore of the industry.

The Owen Hart episode is exceptional not only because it hits close to home, but also because we finally have Martha, Oje, and Athena's perspectives.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #1071
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started The Tick on Prime.

Very different take on the story than the old cartoon or old show.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #1072
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's a new show on Comedy Central coming on the 18th from the Robot Chicken crew called crossing swords. How can it not be good with Seth Green at the helm

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #1073
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halfway through S2 of Narcos: Mexico. If you liked the original series you'll like this too, as it's a spinoff of the Colombian/Escobar cartel storyline but focuses on Mexico's cartels instead. Some cross over of Colombian characters from the original series (including Pablo!) which is pretty cool.

Might be half a tier below Narcos in terms of quality, but still a great watch overall if you need a good cartel storyline.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #1074
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Quote:
I like it a lot. Although I haven't watched wrestling since about 2005, I am a major pro wrestling nerd and love the history and lore of the industry.

The Owen Hart episode is exceptional not only because it hits close to home, but also because we finally have Martha, Oje, and Athena's perspectives.
I like this series too. Not a fan of wrestling anymore since the 90s, but the documentary is very well done. I've watched the Macho Man, Montreal Screwjob and Brawl For All episodes. All very well done.

And speaking of wrestling docs, the Undertaker: Last Ride is exceptional. Again, not a wrestling fan anymore but Undertaker has always been a childhood icon. Really cool to see him finally out of character and how he has dealt with getting older. Highly recommend watching his series if you were ever a fan of his growing up.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #1075
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were a fan of wrestling in the 90s I really encourage you to seek out the documentary series Monday Night Wars. It was produced by WWE Entertainment, but is surprisingly level (though some glorification of Vince winning).

You can find it on dailymotion, but I don't think it's complete (16 parts, but it's supposed to be 20).

What a nostalgia trip.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #1076
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
If you were a fan of wrestling in the 90s I really encourage you to seek out the documentary series Monday Night Wars. It was produced by WWE Entertainment, but is surprisingly level (though some glorification of Vince winning).

You can find it on dailymotion, but I don't think it's complete (16 parts, but it's supposed to be 20).

What a nostalgia trip.

Its on the WWE Network and its very good.

Also and you can find it on Youtube for wrestling fans World of Hurt with Lance Storm is exceptional, and there are a couple of recognizable faces in it when they were getting trained. The second season with Roddy Piper wasn't quite as good.

Also you get to see Lance lose his temper on one student and completely wreck him.

Also if you can find it out there or on the Network there is Tough Enough, and another documentary series on the Performance Center that's well worth a look.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #1077
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Episode about Chris Benoit is very disturbing.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #1078
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the Snowpiercer tv show any good? I really like the movie, but am wondering if the TV is worth the time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #1079
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is the Snowpiercer tv show any good? I really like the movie, but am wondering if the TV is worth the time.
Uhmm...I dunno. I'm 3.5 episodes in and it's like a cop drama on a train. Wasn't quite what I was expecting, and hoping they don't drag that one aspect out for the whole season. The dystopian aspect of it isn't all that well executed, or used to any benefit.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 AM   #1080
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I'm 3 episodes into Counterpart. What a great sci-fi spy TV show. Looked online and apparently it's cancelled after the second season though which is a bummer.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote