Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 Salary Cap

The last we heard it was going to be between $84 million and $88.2 million. But that was based on this season's revenue, right? And I assume revenue is going to be way down, having missed the end of the season and playoffs? Has anyone heard discussion on what will happen around this?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read in the last 31 thoughts that the last proposal was a set $81.5 million for the next 2 seasons, then going up to $82.5.

31 Thoughts
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if, going into 2020/21 if there is no hope for fans at games, will they be forced to cut it significantly? How do you pay $80 million if you have no money coming in? There is no guarantee fans will be welcome back next season.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect they leave the cap where it is and just have 30-50% or so Escrow given the revenue declines. Currently if revenue isn’t enough to support the cap number the players can owe more money then they paid in Escrow. For next year they likely negotiate to take more up front.

That ensures that new free agents don’t get screwed and everyone shares with the pain. It’s also how the system is more or less set up to deal with this type of situation.

The alternative is that next years cap drops to 50 million and no team can field a legal roster.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. Which the players will obviously be really pissed about, because most of them don't understand escrow.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yup. Which the players will obviously be really pissed about, because most of them don't understand escrow.
That's why I always say they should flip it around, and reverse escrow or bonuses. Set the cap 15% lower than 50% of expected revenues and issue players a bonus cheque in the fall whenever they are done the accounting. Players will get excited over it the same way people get excited over tax refunds.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
That's why I always say they should flip it around, and reverse escrow or bonuses. Set the cap 15% lower than 50% of expected revenues and issue players a bonus cheque in the fall whenever they are done the accounting. Players will get excited over it the same way people get excited over tax refunds.
Laughed out loud IRL- always funny watching people get so excited knowing that the government has been stealing extra money from them all year.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote