Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #41
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't care how or the motives behind something like this being brought into the light, I'm just glad it is.
This is disgusting, unacceptable behaviour, and for it to have gone on for as long as it has is a travesty.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Physical and sexual abuse a side. It is interesting where to draw the line between abuse, bullying, and intimidation and motivation, teaching and accountability. So much of this lies within the dr swing room, player group and parents.

There's an arrogance many high level coaches carry themselves with, many see themselves as untouchable, big fish in a small pond. And so many parents buy into this, but especially high levels of minor hockey. Down in Lethbidge there was nearly a pee wee boycot back in 2014(?) when minor hockey wouldn't let Mike Dyck have his pick of AA Pee Wee kids, (it had been and still is two teams drafted evenly). The parents were going to all register their kids in a small town system and Mike would go out there and coach, that was one stupid idea, and there were worse ones. Hockey parents are so blinded by winning and getting their kids to the NHL, they will believe nearly anything and accept nearly anything.

Mentally twisting (abusing?) kids is a tactic that coaches have used for ever. Calling out kids, shaming kids, what is deemed acceptable and what is abuse? And are kids and parents willing to accept these tactics in order to win, or in hopes of players progressing to the next level? Some openly do, many quietly do and other step forward with complaints, those are the kids who are cut the next year.
The 'Dr. Swing Room."

That is a hazing ritual that I am thankful to say I am unfamiliar with.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #43
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Interesting how you think the claims against him are not that bad because it doesn’t involve sexual abuse? Maybe those issues just haven’t been revealed yet? Calling him a progressive coach doesn’t really fit with this narrative? Poor choice of words in my opinion.
I think the claims are less serious because they don’t involve sexual abuse. Really the claims Taylor makes against the Hurricanes and Mike are not a whole lot different then anything we’ve heard of happening and seen at any junior hockey team. I think making the roomies dress like women and parading through the mall is nothing new. The offensive and derogatory language also not new. This was over 10 years ago and Mike has progressed as a coach over that time, I know for a fact that he doesn’t make kids fight each other at practice, never heard of that happening with the Hurricanes, in 2009, we were billets for the Hurricanes and our kids loved playing for him. The last I had any dealings with him hockey wise was 2018.

We’ve billeted players for his WHL teams and my nephew played for him for many years in the elite minor hockey system. He took the Hurricanes to the WHL finals after years turbulence and financial woes for the team. He also took the Atom AA, Pee Wee AA, Bantam AAA, Minor Midget AAA and Midget AAA teams to provincial titles. 5 provincial titles in 7 years at the highest levels of minor hockey is really unheard of. Teams that were certainly not the most talented either but he get the best out of the kids and coaches a team game. Are his tactics questionable? Yes, but the results are exceptional. And their-in the problems lie.

When it comes to challenging players and getting the most out of them, they hat is off limits? There has never been any allegation or sign of physical assault against players, thank god, but the mental mind games were alive and well.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-19-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:11 PM   #44
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a case where I think the government should fold the entire CHL and set up a new league without a bantam draft. Find new ways for teams to recruit talent.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #45
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Flames Limited Partnership and Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation are named in the lawsuit as defendants. As owners of the Hitmen.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:32 AM   #46
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have nothing but good things to say about my time playing in Lethbridge for the Hurricanes.

The stories that you hear, I don't doubt they happened, it's nothing new, but I'm happy to say I've never seen anything even close to that, or even heard an actual first hand account of anything like that. Some of the best people I ever met, I met in minor and junior hockey.

Crap like that absolutely shouldn't happen, luckily it's not as widespread anymore, or even 10 years ago, as people in this thread seem to think it is. Hopefully lawsuits like this and some of the other things that have happened recently are the final nail in the coffin

Last edited by btimbit; 06-20-2020 at 05:36 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #47
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
This is a case where I think the government should fold the entire CHL and set up a new league without a bantam draft. Find new ways for teams to recruit talent.
How that would make any difference with regards to hazing?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #48
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

And in news that will shock absolutely no one, a former teammate has corroborated the allegations and said he felt suicidal as a result: https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...lt-allegations
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's supposed to be a game.

Parents put their kids into it for the fun and camraderie, not to be put through hell a few years later.

That stuff should never have been a part of the game. I quit ice hockey as a teenager because while the game was fun, the culture around it wasn't. Feels like times are changing, thankfully.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #50
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's supposed to be a game.

Parents put their kids into it for the fun and camraderie, not to be put through hell a few years later.

That stuff should never have been a part of the game. I quit ice hockey as a teenager because while the game was fun, the culture around it wasn't. Feels like times are changing, thankfully.
This saddens me to hear, I’m sorry that happened. A long distance friend of mine did the same when we were younger, and I only recently learned it was due to bullying. I guess I was lucky growing up, as although I was far from the most popular guy on the team, there was none of this. Understanding how widespread this is in the game is going to kickstart my hockey volunteering career here once things return to normal. This can’t exist, and I’d like to be a part of that change.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #51
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the claims are less serious because they don’t involve sexual abuse. Really the claims Taylor makes against the Hurricanes and Mike are not a whole lot different then anything we’ve heard of happening and seen at any junior hockey team. I think making the roomies dress like women and parading through the mall is nothing new. The offensive and derogatory language also not new. This was over 10 years ago and Mike has progressed as a coach over that time, I know for a fact that he doesn’t make kids fight each other at practice, never heard of that happening with the Hurricanes, in 2009, we were billets for the Hurricanes and our kids loved playing for him. The last I had any dealings with him hockey wise was 2018.

We’ve billeted players for his WHL teams and my nephew played for him for many years in the elite minor hockey system. He took the Hurricanes to the WHL finals after years turbulence and financial woes for the team. He also took the Atom AA, Pee Wee AA, Bantam AAA, Minor Midget AAA and Midget AAA teams to provincial titles. 5 provincial titles in 7 years at the highest levels of minor hockey is really unheard of. Teams that were certainly not the most talented either but he get the best out of the kids and coaches a team game. Are his tactics questionable? Yes, but the results are exceptional. And their-in the problems lie.

When it comes to challenging players and getting the most out of them, they hat is off limits? There has never been any allegation or sign of physical assault against players, thank god, but the mental mind games were alive and well.
I know a former board member who was on the executive during Dyck's tenure in Lethbridge and he would tell me a lot of inside stuff. He never said specifically why they let Dyck go, but it wasn't performance based and more to do with his behaviour and not willing to follow direction. This member did say that Dyck got a lot out of the players but some players didn't like his style.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #52
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am somewhat sure that i read that a player - boychuck? came out and said something to the effect that he had not seen any of this stuff.

it will be interesting to see if any of the big name star NHL players/WHL grads lend their names to this lawsuit as i'd imagine that would open the door for a real landslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
And in news that will shock absolutely no one, a former teammate has corroborated the allegations and said he felt suicidal as a result: https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...lt-allegations
Old 06-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #53
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
How that would make any difference with regards to hazing?
On a simple level, I think the argument goes that if you do away with a bantam draft and let the teams do their own recruiting and interviews, you sell kids and their parents on the culture of the team - we treat our kids like family, great environment to play etc etc.

So the teams with best reputations would attract the best players....
Old 06-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #54
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
On a simple level, I think the argument goes that if you do away with a bantam draft and let the teams do their own recruiting and interviews, you sell kids and their parents on the culture of the team - we treat our kids like family, great environment to play etc etc.

So the teams with best reputations would attract the best players....

Reputations aren't built overnight. In that vacuum, you're opening the door to another load of problems. Lots of teams with great "reputations" have failed badly in the past when it comes to looking out for their players.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #55
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea this needs to end. We've all heard, or unfortunately some maybe even been a part of, first hand accounts of the whoever finishes last has to eat the cracker/bread etc.. I'm sick to my stomach even thinking about that. And it's not even the worst of it.

This needs to stop. This type of behavior has been the main reason I decided I wasn't going to put my kid into hockey. If we saw some blanket changes across the board I would reconsider.

Not that I think my kid is a shoe in for any type of major junior career, but I know this stuff also occurs at various other levels of hockey as an imitation of the junior leagues.

In today's climate with everything going on, this has absolutely no place. (NOT THAT IT EVER DID!)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #56
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Statement from the rest of the team. Taylor’s story of how he was cut actually happened the NEXT season when Mike Dyck was no longer coaching the team.

https://lethbridgeherald.com/comment...o-allegations/
Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I believe each and every one of these allegations. In fact, I am sure all of it happened and then some. It is disgusting and, unfortunately, has been part of most team sports for a very long time. It must stop and, hopefully, it is being eliminated. Yes to exposing the problem. Yes to advocating against hazing. Yes to making it impossible to practice going forward. Not sure if the lawsuit is the right way of going about it though. Smacks of going after the money first and foremost.
It is this type of thought process that keeps victims of assault from coming forward.

Our legal system is designed so victims can seek financial compensation. Do you have an issue with a victim in a motor vehicle accident commencing a law suit?

I have no problem with this law suit, further I believe the allegations in this lawsuit.

#### those #######s that abused boys and young men.

Carcillo's first year with the Sting he was 17 years old, that is a baby

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hockey parents are so blinded by winning and getting their kids to the NHL, they will believe nearly anything and accept nearly anything.
This is certainly part of the problem.

I know a guy that played in the league, I think around 100 game and went onto play in Europe. He was a 2nd round pick.

He described getting to the NHL as having to win the lottery multiple times.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #59
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
..... This type of behavior has been the main reason I decided I wasn't going to put my kid into hockey. If we saw some blanket changes across the board I would reconsider.......
to me there are issues with all sorts of activities involving kids because of the power imbalance.

what other things are you not letting your kid get involved with?
Old 06-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #60
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
to me there are issues with all sorts of activities involving kids because of the power imbalance.

what other things are you not letting your kid get involved with?
Agreed, the better option is to get involved, I have coached many of my kids sports.

Quote: