Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #14421
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
You rarely expect an offer sheet to succeed, unless it is really stupid. So, I would make an offer that works well for you, works well for the player and puts the matching team in a difficult spot. I think this offer would accomplish all 3. Most likely, it fails, but such is life - you dont lose anything and Vancouver has to figure out how to deal with Hughes.
Offer sheet Hughes too!! win win!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #14422
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elias Pettersson is very overrated, just like most of the other top players on the other Canadian teams.
In 4 years since being drafted, he's never had more than 66 points. And he hit that total during his first year in the league. He has since regressed.
He's 6'2 and 176 lbs. One of the smallest players in the league for his height. JT Miller, who hardly anyone talks about, has outproduced Pettersson since he arrived.

Pettersson is a year younger than Tkachuk. They've had about the same production (per game) during the last 3 seasons. No one is saying Tkachuk is a franchise superstar.

Might as well stick with Lindholm, who is much more all-around than Pettersson, without all the unnecessary hype. I hope someone offer sheets Pettersson, but I hope it's not the Flames.
The cap hit and draft pick compensation would be way too much.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-27-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #14423
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
You rarely expect an offer sheet to succeed, unless it is really stupid. So, I would make an offer that works well for you, works well for the player and puts the matching team in a difficult spot. I think this offer would accomplish all 3. Most likely, it fails, but such is life - you dont lose anything and Vancouver has to figure out how to deal with Hughes.
One ,the player has to accept the offer sheet
Two, do you not think Vancouver will respond and do it to future flames players down the road?
Old 06-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #14424
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Doug Wilson would be a fantastic GM if not for his bad cap management.
He can trade, draft and develop quite well.

But he gives way too many large contracts to players past their prime. San Jose is now in the worst contract situation in the league, despite the fact that to they still have quite a bit of talent. Many of their old overpaid guys will still be with the team in 4+ years.
He's certainly made big bets that haven't paid off, but the other thing he's been most guilty of is buying on credit instead of 'giving to get'. TBF, once you're a legit contender I support paying any price to acquire the right talent at the right value...otherwise you end up in cap hell.

Going back to Heatley for Havlat in 2011 (and several other big swaps that year, including Burns), these are the notable players that they've traded away [until recently]:

Brad Stuart - July 1, 2014 (1 year to UFA)

TDL 2013 they sold pending UFAs Ryan Clowe (2nd, 3rd, 5th), Handzus (4th) and Douglas Murray (two 2nds). SJ finished 6th that year and swept VAN in rd 1 before losing to the Kings in 7 in a tiiiight series.

In the same time frame, they've paid significant futures on:
a TON of TDL deals
Karlsson
E Kane
M Jones
- and signed the 3 above to bad deals. $24.25M (30% of cap) on 3 players who haven't worked out as hoped*.

*E Kane's stats are actually really good: he has 5 seasons with gpg 0.39-0.41, including the last 3 with SJ. 3/4 of his highest pt/gp seasons were the last 3 with SJ.

Nobody would've expected Vlasic to fall off the cliff he did...otherwise it's been the recent trade&signs that were the issue.

A notable trade up fail in 2013 - SJ got pick 18 Mirco Mueller for picks 20 (Mantha) and 58 (Tyler Bertuzzi). SJ at least managed to turn Mueller+5th into a 2nd (Mario Ferraro) and a 4th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2021, 10:17 PM   #14425
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Elias Pettersson is very overrated, just like most of the other top players on the other Canadian teams.
In 4 years since being drafted, he's never had more than 66 points. And he hit that total during his first year in the league. He has since regressed.
He's 6'2 and 176 lbs. One of the smallest players in the league for his height. JT Miller, who hardly anyone talks about, has outproduced Pettersson since he arrived.

Pettersson is a year younger than Tkachuk. They've had about the same production (per game) during the last 3 seasons. No one is saying Tkachuk is a franchise superstar.

Might as well stick with Lindholm, who is much more all-around than Pettersson, without all the unnecessary hype. I hope someone offer sheets Pettersson, but I hope it's not the Flames.
The cap hit and draft pick compensation would be way too much.
Maybe gross points aren't the best way to assess a player who has only played 1/3 82 game seasons.

EP (age 20-22):
66pts in 71 gp
66 in 68
21 in 26

JTM (same 3 years; age 25-27)
47 in 75. (TBL)
72 in 69
46 in 53 ...21p in 23gp w/ EP; 25p in 30gp w/o

Miller's ppg skyrocketed when he joined Pettersson. Pettersson had a negligible change when Miller replaced Leivo/Goldobin on his line (with Boeser throughout).

It seems Miller's increased production has more to do with playing an additional 5-6 mins a night and playing with EP instead of scrubs like Cirelli/Kucherov/Stamkos/Killorn.

Miller has a 25 game sample size of 0.83p/gp w/o EP.
EP has 71 gp of 0.93p/gp w/o JTM.

I don't have a strong opinion on EP, but your take justification is terrible.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #14426
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm all for the Petterson offer sheet, the kid scares me when he has the puck on his stick. Play Lindholm 1A with the tough minutes and hopefully let Petterson feast on the 1B offensive zone starts and PP. Trade Monahan and try and recoup some assets. If VanC match then hopefully it puts them in a tough spot.

It still hurts that we paid significantly more for Hamonic than the Nucks paid for Miller.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #14427
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Maybe gross points aren't the best way to assess a player who has only played 1/3 82 game seasons.

EP (age 20-22):
66pts in 71 gp
66 in 68
21 in 26

JTM (same 3 years; age 25-27)
47 in 75. (TBL)
72 in 69
46 in 53 ...21p in 23gp w/ EP; 25p in 30gp w/o

Miller's ppg skyrocketed when he joined Pettersson. Pettersson had a negligible change when Miller replaced Leivo/Goldobin on his line (with Boeser throughout).

It seems Miller's increased production has more to do with playing an additional 5-6 mins a night and playing with EP instead of scrubs like Cirelli/Kucherov/Stamkos/Killorn.

Miller has a 25 game sample size of 0.83p/gp w/o EP.
EP has 71 gp of 0.93p/gp w/o JTM.

I don't have a strong opinion on EP, but your take justification is terrible.
Getting injured every single season isn't exactly a good thing
Old 06-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #14428
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Yeah, I am not remotely convinced that Pettersson is a franchise player.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #14429
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Makar on the other hand…. See also Heiskenan
Old 06-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #14430
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makar is the #1 target if you're going to offer sheet anyone.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #14431
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pettersson is an elite talent. You can build a team around him.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #14432
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Petterson was brutal this year. Came as a bit of a surprise. He really appeared as one of the more cerebral young talents in the league prior to that.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #14433
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Petterson was brutal this year. Came as a bit of a surprise. He really appeared as one of the more cerebral young talents in the league prior to that.
What? He played 26 games and had 21 points which is pretty decent.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #14434
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Makar is the #1 target if you're going to offer sheet anyone.
He can’t be offer sheeted like Gaudreau couldn’t be
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #14435
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
What? He played 26 games and had 21 points which is pretty decent.
How many of those games did you watch? Pettersson maintained his point-production pace, but looked really off and was prone to tonnes of errors all season long.

Don't get me wrong, he is an extremely talented player, and when he is "on," he controls games. But his frame and injury history, and the way he unraveled this year have me thinking that he will never be the player the Canucks were projecting in 2019.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #14436
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many of those games did you watch? Pettersson maintained his point-production pace, but looked really off and was prone to tonnes of errors all season long.

Don't get me wrong, he is an extremely talented player, and when he is "on," he controls games. But his frame and injury history, and the way he unraveled this year have me thinking that he will never be the player the Canucks were projecting in 2019.
Pretty much all of this applies to Quinn Hughes as well. Maintained production (though still not as productive as last year).
But very prone to errors. Hilariously ineffective defensively.

At least Hughes, unlike Pettersson, can stay healthy.

I think Demko covered a lot of the Canuck's shortcomings. Their season could have been even more of a disaster than it was.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #14437
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree he was worse than his actual points. So was Quinn Hughes for that matter. His defence, never great, became even worse, although I think that's because of not having Tanev to protect him.

Hard to know if the injury affected him, it was likely a lost year for him.

It will be interesting to see if he responds positively this year.

Monny and Johnny were in the same boat to some degree last year. I think Johnny righted the ship after they moved Monny off his line. Monny did not.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #14438
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think he is a really talented player and we would be fortunate to have him, but not a guy that you give $10 million per season to and four 1st round draft picks.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #14439
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I agree he was worse than his actual points. So was Quinn Hughes for that matter. His defence, never great, became even worse, although I think that's because of not having Tanev to protect him.

Hard to know if the injury affected him, it was likely a lost year for him.

It will be interesting to see if he responds positively this year.
It is not just the one injury, though. With Pettersson, it is now several rather significant injuries that have occurred every season. Over time, those add up.

Quote:
Monny and Johnny were in the same boat to some degree last year. I think Johnny righted the ship after they moved Monny off his line. Monny did not.
I think what happened to Monahan illustrates my concerns about Pettersson. Monahan actually looked very good in first ten-or-so games this year, but then became noticeably ineffective. He has played through a tonne of injuries, and it is fair to wonder how many of those have already caught up to him. I think the same concern is there for Pettersson, except—unlike Monahan—he has yet to play a full NHL season.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-28-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #14440
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
He can’t be offer sheeted like Gaudreau couldn’t be
Dammit. Can Heiskenan? Kiril K?
Closed Thread