Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #11961
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Because he’s (a) cheap and (b) never will break the bank. In 3 years he’ll be 30 and I bet his contract isn’t a whole lot bigger as a cap percentage (and if he is worth a raise - bonus). He’d be a great trade asset in 2.5 years as well.
Still don’t see any of those reasons being remotely enticing to Buffalo. Eichel is a better trade asset now than Lindholm would be for them so as a centerpiece of a deal for their younger franchise center it doesn’t make any sense.

In my opinion Lindholm is the first player the Flames should trade if they enter a rebuild and he would not be a player a team that is entering another rebuild would want. Lindholm is the perfect piece for a contending team that has a window to win now and for the next 3 years. He would be a dream piece for a team like the Oilers who defensive all situations guy that comes in at almost 1/3 of McDavid and almost half of Draisaitl’s cap hits. The Leafs would love a guy like Lindholm who could fit into their top heavy roster. The Golden Knights, Pens, Avs etc are all unbelievable landing spots for Lindholm. Buffalo not so much.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #11962
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Still don’t see any of those reasons being remotely enticing to Buffalo. Eichel is a better trade asset now than Lindholm would be for them so as a centerpiece of a deal for their younger franchise center it doesn’t make any sense.

In my opinion Lindholm is the first player the Flames should trade if they enter a rebuild and he would not be a player a team that is entering another rebuild would want. Lindholm is the perfect piece for a contending team that has a window to win now and for the next 3 years. He would be a dream piece for a team like the Oilers who defensive all situations guy that comes in at almost 1/3 of McDavid and almost half of Draisaitl’s cap hits. The Leafs would love a guy like Lindholm who could fit into their top heavy roster. The Golden Knights, Pens, Avs etc are all unbelievable landing spots for Lindholm. Buffalo not so much.
I think the Sabres are not intending to rebuild from the bottom floor. They want some PO money.

But anyway, it’s really up to Buffalo to make the ask. And all those teams you are talking about will have trouble with either Lindholm or Tkachuk’s cap hit.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #11963
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think the Sabres are not intending to rebuild from the bottom floor. They want some PO money.

But anyway, it’s really up to Buffalo to make the ask. And all those teams you are talking about will have trouble with either Lindholm or Tkachuk’s cap hit.
If they want playoff money I still do not see how going from Eichel to Lindholm gets them closer? I also make no mention of Tkachuk being a better fit for those teams he could go to a team in Buffalo or Ottawa’s position he is only 23. Lindholm has a 4.85M cap hit so those top teams could easily find the salary needed if the Flames decided to go rebuild.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #11964
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would they want Lindholm? He will be 27 next year and in 3 years will want big money. He is highly valuable but not to a rebuilding team like the Sabres. Tkachuk would still be their prime target he is the only centerpiece that makes any sense and even then I don’t think he makes as much sense as what other teams will be able to offer.
That’s what I mean. Flames don’t really have the pieces for what they will want. They won’t (or shouldn’t) want Tkachuk as the main piece.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #11965
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That’s what I mean. Flames don’t really have the pieces for what they will want. They won’t (or shouldn’t) want Tkachuk as the main piece.
Why would they be opposed to Tkachuk being the main piece? He is a top young player who is touted as a future captain and is a fan favorite for the team he plays for?

Tkachuk, Valimaki, Dube, 10th overall pick is a huge offer that will be in the ballpark of what the Sabres can expect.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:53 AM   #11966
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would they be opposed to Tkachuk being the main piece? He is a top young player who is touted as a future captain and is a fan favorite for the team he plays for?

Tkachuk, Valimaki, Dube, 10th overall pick is a huge offer that will be in the ballpark of what the Sabres can expect.
when is the last time anyone touted Tkachuk as a future captain of the team?

after his season, and with a 9M qualifying offer coming up, you don't think a team like Buffalo would maybe not want him?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #11967
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

after his season, and with a 9M qualifying offer coming up, you don't think a team like Buffalo would maybe not want him?
Maybe. Believe it or not there are people out there that look at an entire body of work and not just recent samples sizes. Eichel only had 2 goals in 21 games this year and was under a ppg but no one seems to be mentioning that?

Also the Tkachuk and Gio downfalls that this board loves to talk about are a little over exaggerated. People love to talk about how great Brady is yet Matthew will still out score him this year on a team with worse offensive stats.

End of the day if LA puts Byfield or NY puts Lafreniere on the table the Flames have no shot. I don’t think they have much of one anyway but a package around Tkachuk makes more sense than one around Lindholm for the Sabres.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #11968
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Amazingly it seems to pop up daily.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #11969
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see CBJ as a darkhorse for Eichel.

Laine + Korpisalo + Bemstrom/Stenlund + picks/prospectss

Maybe even add Gavrikov or Werenski and take back an RD...

NYR has so many options to do it, though. If I were BUF I'd be keen on something like:

Georgiev + Kakko + Chytil/Howden + Strome + K Miller (did he end up getting injured on that gruesome fall vs. WAS?
for Tage Thompson and Eichel

Surprising fact: Okposo has 0 PIM in 35gp this year. I was thinking NYR could probably handle his money for a couple years if he actually brought the toughness they are lacking. TT only had 17; BUF is actually a softer team than NYR!
Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #11970
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

23 year old Tkachuk coming off a down year of 11 goals in 52 games with a qualifying offer of 9 million = Bum

24 year old Eichel coming off a down year of 2 goals in 21 GP's and a very serious injury with a cap hit of 10 million = Savior

Tkachuk may not be #1 on the Sabres wishlist across the entire NHL, but his age and past production would certainly put him near the top as a starting point in a deal I would imagine.

I don't see teams breaking the bank from Jake Eichel. In the cap world there will be very few deals that actually make sense for the team acquiring Eichel.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #11971
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
End of the day if LA puts Byfield or NY puts Lafreniere on the table the Flames have no shot. I don’t think they have much of one anyway but a package around Tkachuk makes more sense than one around Lindholm for the Sabres.
And why would those teams put those guys on the table?

Both teams laugh Buffalo off the phone if that calls come in

I honestly don't think either would trade those guys straight up for Eichel
Old 05-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #11972
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

I would trade Byfield for Eichel without hesitation.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #11973
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Rangers have Artemi Panarin - they need Jack Eichel a lot more than they need LaFreniere’s 21 points or Kakko’s 17.

From the wing, I may add.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #11974
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would trade Byfield for Eichel without hesitation.
If not for the injury, sure, but teams are pretty risk averse about top 2 picks less than 12 months from being drafted.

I actually think Tkachuk as a centrepiece is pretty unique and may stand out to buffalo as something they perceive they need. Can/would any team offer a player (as part of a package) that is 23, and has already established themselves as a top line talent. Can't think of any examples that would include such a player.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #11975
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
If not for the injury, sure, but teams are pretty risk averse about top 2 picks less than 12 months from being drafted.

I actually think Tkachuk as a centrepiece is pretty unique and may stand out to buffalo as something they perceive they need. Can/would any team offer a player (as part of a package) that is 23, and has already established themselves as a top line talent. Can't think of any examples that would include such a player.
Eichel isn't far removed from being mentioned as a Hart trophy candidate. Nobody can be sure if Byfield will even be a top level player in the NHL as passing on Stuetzle was IMO a major mistake. Sabres would be crazy to accept him as the sole return as it would require a 1st round pick or two in addition.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #11976
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well Dolan allegedly fired his POHO and GM because the rebuild they started 2 years ago was not moving fast enough. I think it is BS but still this move is a sign the rebuild is over

Blake also mentioned that he wanted the Kings to start to win and they are poised foe another top 10 pick.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #11977
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Dolan allegedly fired his POHO and GM because the rebuild they started 2 years ago was not moving fast enough. I think it is BS but still this move is a sign the rebuild is over

Blake also mentioned that he wanted the Kings to start to win and they are poised foe another top 10 pick.
Yeah, but what they need in LA is defence.

Kopitar, Vilardi, Byfield has them stacked at centre going forward. They’ve also got Akil Thomas and Alex Turcotte - a crazy impressive pool of young centres.

I don’t think they’ll make a big play for Eichel.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #11978
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, but what they need in LA is defence.

Kopitar, Vilardi, Byfield has them stacked at centre going forward. They’ve also got Akil Thomas and Alex Turcotte - a crazy impressive pool of young centres.

I don’t think they’ll make a big play for Eichel.
Eichel really isn’t what LA needs, I agree.

He’s exactly what NYR needs, and I suspect they’ll find a way to get him.

The Rangers have two recent top-2 picks to offer for a 24 year old Eichel.

It makes too much sense.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #11979
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you trade your franchise player to a rival in your own state?
Old 05-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #11980
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they want playoff money I still do not see how going from Eichel to Lindholm gets them closer? I also make no mention of Tkachuk being a better fit for those teams he could go to a team in Buffalo or Ottawa’s position he is only 23. Lindholm has a 4.85M cap hit so those top teams could easily find the salary needed if the Flames decided to go rebuild.
It's not a question of Eichel v. Lindholm. I'm assuming they have to trade Eichel, so the question is what's the best return? In respect to Calgary, is Lindholm better than Tkachuk as far as cost, production, fit, team need? Tkachuk can't play centre, costs far more, produces less on a consistent basis. But he's 3-4 years younger, so it really depends what they want to do in the next short while.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread