Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #641
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Galatea is a fairly easy ascent to Lillian Lake, which is about 6.5km in, but the last 1.5 or so up to Galatea Lakes is fairly steep, and ascends a long rock field (not scree, larger stones) and then a really uphill section at the very end. If you made Ribbon Falls, you’ll make it, it’s just that last section that will be a challenge.

Get there either early or late in the day, it’s heavily travelled. I can’t imagine what it’s like this year, I’ve been lucky enough to avoid K country and do all my hiking in Yoho & Kootenay NP from a home base in Field.
Did Lililan / Ribbon lake as a backpack last weekend...20 tent pads, all of them full = 40-60 people at each camp plus dayhikers.

Still easy to spread out on the trail though and some lovely country to travel through
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #642
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks guys. I plan to be at the trailhead for 8:30. Checking recorded times on All Trails (yes I know it can be dangerous to reply on that app exclusively), it appears it will be a nice 5.5 to 7 hours in the mountains.

A great day indeed.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #643
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Thanks guys. I plan to be at the trailhead for 8:30. Checking recorded times on All Trails (yes I know it can be dangerous to reply on that app exclusively), it appears it will be a nice 5.5 to 7 hours in the mountains.

A great day indeed.
That sounds about right to me.

BTW there is a perch between the lakes where you can climb up just to the left of the trail and get a view of both lakes from the same spot.

Last edited by Flames0910; 08-12-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #644
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
What's the difficulty of Sarrail Ridge compared to Ha-Ling? Did Ha-Ling without poles a few weeks ago. Not too bad, but definitely tiring for people that don't hike regularly. Hoping to try Sarrail this weekend with poles.
Can't help on the comparison but Rawson Lake/Sarrail Ridge is currently closed for bear activity:

https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka...d/rawson-lake/
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #645
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was also thinking of doing Sarrail this weekend. Would like to know about the climb from Rawson. My wife has a bit of a fear of heights, so if she looked back and saw that she could fall all the way down, she’s have a panic attack.

We did Volcano Ridge today. Not a very interesting hike for the distance we drove. Got to try out our 3 yr expired bear spray though. I am guessing it must be the pepper that loses potency, because it still fires pretty well. Awkward that as we were testing it, this guy comes out of nowhere as I am having the kids learn how to take the lock off and spray it. Oops.

No wildlife, except a bunch of very large grouse on the trail.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #646
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was also thinking of doing Sarrail this weekend. Would like to know about the climb from Rawson. My wife has a bit of a fear of heights, so if she looked back and saw that she could fall all the way down, she’s have a panic attack.

We did Volcano Ridge today. Not a very interesting hike for the distance we drove. Got to try out our 3 yr expired bear spray though. I am guessing it must be the pepper that loses potency, because it still fires pretty well. Awkward that as we were testing it, this guy comes out of nowhere as I am having the kids learn how to take the lock off and spray it. Oops.

No wildlife, except a bunch of very large grouse on the trail.
Sarrail and Rawson is currently closed due to bears. See the post above yours.

There was a post on the Hike Alberta group of many heading down the trail screaming due to a close encounter.

Such a shame because I wanted to give that trail a go this weekend instead of what I am doing instead.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #647
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do Frozen Lake instead of Rawson. A bit longer. Same general area.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #648
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sarrail and Rawson is currently closed due to bears. See the post above yours.

There was a post on the Hike Alberta group of many heading down the trail screaming due to a close encounter.

Such a shame because I wanted to give that trail a go this weekend instead of what I am doing instead.

Yeah, I just noticed that after I posted. I keep seeing closures that are listed on All Trails but not on Alberta Parks. Are the ones on All Trails legit? We saw Chester Lake closed, but didn’t say anything on the Alberta website.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #649
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that after I posted. I keep seeing closures that are listed on All Trails but not on Alberta Parks. Are the ones on All Trails legit? We saw Chester Lake closed, but didn’t say anything on the Alberta website.
All Trails is the wikipedia of Trails. It's a good resource, but there are limitations. I tend to pick out two hikes when I'm going out and check the official trail reports just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #650
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka...eter-lougheed/

For Peter Lougheed the easiest way to find the page is google Peter Lougheed trail report. Trying to find it through the mess of the Alberta parks website doesn’t work well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #651
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rawson has been closed on and off almost the entire summer. It was open early in the season, then closed a few weeks ago. A buddy hiked it on Monday so it was open again but looks like the bears are back.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #652
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Rawson has been closed on and off almost the entire summer. It was open early in the season, then closed a few weeks ago. A buddy hiked it on Monday so it was open again but looks like the bears are back.
That's just how that area is. Indefatigueable (sp?) was the same way. It was constantly closed and then when it was open there were issues as well. One time I was hiking there and the conservation officer asked us if we had seen any bears (we hadn't, only evidence) and he said there were 7 bears in the area! I think because of those ongoing issues they just shutdown that trail.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #653
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All Trails is the wikipedia of Trails. It's a good resource, but there are limitations. I tend to pick out two hikes when I'm going out and check the official trail reports just in case.

All Trails is almost always wrong. In my experience it's off and on the Hike FB page it's called All Fails. You're essentially taking advice from first time hikers. There are a lot of made up rules regarding dogs and camping and parking. It's more or less all wrong.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #654
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's just how that area is. Indefatigueable (sp?) was the same way. It was constantly closed and then when it was open there were issues as well. One time I was hiking there and the conservation officer asked us if we had seen any bears (we hadn't, only evidence) and he said there were 7 bears in the area! I think because of those ongoing issues they just shutdown that trail.
Story I heard was there was a resident male Grizzly who inhabited the area around Indefatigable. They closed the trail under the guise of maintenance but it was really due to him. He has long since passed but they never bothered to officially re-open the trail.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #655
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Indefatigable is closed and people should respect that.

We camped down by Bolton Creek and saw nothing, but bears for a few days but both Lower and Upper lakes.

We also had people tell us about their awesome hike up Indefatigable.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #656
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Story I heard was there was a resident male Grizzly who inhabited the area around Indefatigable. They closed the trail under the guise of maintenance but it was really due to him. He has long since passed but they never bothered to officially re-open the trail.
This is pretty much the story. It was a favorite and I used to go up Indefatigable about once a year for many years. Then it seemed it was always closed for bear activity, then for maintenance and eventually closed permanently. All the signs were removed and it was no longer an official trail. It is still around on a few maps and older documents but it looks like Alberta Parks have pretty much cleansed the website of trail.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #657
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm pretty sure they closed Indefatigable because in addition to the bears, when you got higher up nearing and onto the ridge, it's sketchy as ####. The beginning part of the hike wasn't bad but if you kept going it would get really bad unless you were very skilled, confident and prepared to take risks.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #658
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm pretty sure they closed Indefatigable because in addition to the bears, when you got higher up nearing and onto the ridge, it's sketchy as ####. The beginning part of the hike wasn't bad but if you kept going it would get really bad unless you were very skilled, confident and prepared to take risks.
I was up there a lot of years ago now, but I don't remember it being that sketchy or dangerous? Maybe I'm not remembering that adequately though, or because it's been a while I don't remember that danger element as clearly?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #659
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was up there a lot of years ago now, but I don't remember it being that sketchy or dangerous? Maybe I'm not remembering that adequately though, or because it's been a while I don't remember that danger element as clearly?
It's been years but I recall a sign asking people to stop at some particular spot before hitting the sketchy points but many people not obeying this.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #660
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are hundreds of sketchy hikes/scrambles. Why would they close this one?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness