Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2021, 05:40 PM   #8481
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes, right.

But that also only illustrates even more how bad the timing was, and how deaf they were to the environment they were operating in.
I disagree. Worse timing would have been drastic cuts to health and education that were needed to balance a budget. For a province with a severe revenue problem, something had to be done. Cutting during a recession would have been far worse than making the rich pay a little extra.

I think a conservative government in power would have left Alberta is a far worse position than we are now.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #8482
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Hahaha...someone just mentioned the "Alberta Advantage".

The myth of low taxes having anything whatsoever to do with the boom years is up there with Santa Claus.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #8483
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Or how about a PST with a certain income level? Would you be okay with an income id card and then you can pay your PST. Asking people who make less than 50K to pay more taxes is not fair imo.
Terrible idea, and difficult/expense to administer. People living on dividends etc would be exempt, which would suck.

GST/PST/HST don't need a filter like that, as they are self-correcting: the poor aren't buying many goods that qualify anyway. That's why they are attractive tax strategies - they tax those that are doing the spending.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #8484
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Or how about a PST with a certain income level? Would you be okay with an income id card and then you can pay your PST. Asking people who make less than 50K to pay more taxes is not fair imo.
Yeah I'm down. Flat taxes aren't as good as progressive taxes. Happy to have my tax returns from the previous year tied to a PST that meets a progressive rate, same as progressive income tax. Higher earners tend to consume more, and there is a societal cost to that consumption.

Then again, I am also for centralizing all data of citizens and having all Tax, SIN, Healthcare, and necessary personal information for a complete end-to-end delivery of e-services based on digital data. I'm also down for biometrics and retina scans if it means retaining unique identity and preventing cyber crime and identity theft.

So in short - progressive consumption tax is good IMO.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #8485
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Hahaha...someone just mentioned the "Alberta Advantage".

The myth of low taxes having anything whatsoever to do with the boom years is up there with Santa Claus.
hahaha... what a clueless comment.

Businesses came to Alberta, not because of O&G but because of lower taxes.

My wife's business and my business both moved their head offices here at the same time. That brought dozens of jobs here (now grown to hundreds). And as someone who works with business owners, I have talked to countless business owners who came here to run their businesses here, in a more favorable tax environment.

It was always the main reason people came here. Lower taxes brought new businesses, which created jobs.

That is why Calgary was always 2nd in Canada with respect to head offices.

But yeah.... hahaha is certainly a useful comment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #8486
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
hahaha... what a clueless comment.

Businesses came to Alberta, not because of O&G but because of lower taxes.

My wife's business and my business both moved their head offices here at the same time. That brought dozens of jobs here (now grown to hundreds). And as someone who works with business owners, I have talked to countless business owners who came here to run their businesses here, in a more favorable tax environment.

It was always the main reason people came here. Lower taxes brought new businesses, which created jobs.

That is why Calgary was always 2nd in Canada with respect to head offices.

But yeah.... hahaha is certainly a useful comment.
Lower taxes have historically been an offset to higher wages for businesses operating in Alberta. That has kept our economy more diversified than it otherwise would have been.

But I guess we could increase taxes and let the government pick winners in media and tech industries. That always works well...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #8487
Macman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just don't think a PST across the board for everyone is really fair for people not making say above 50K if you want to use that number. It's easy to say wealthier people consume more and therefore would pay the PST more often. You still have to declare dividends as income on your personnel income tax return.

Why shouldn't people who earn less not be able to go and buy nice things, they just have to save longer and shouldn't be penalized for it with extra taxes. Wages haven't kept up with the cost of living and inflation for a lot of people.

Wouldn't it just be easier to increase taxes on higher earners? And you could start at 60k for example.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #8488
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't think a PST across the board for everyone is really fair for people not making say above 50K if you want to use that number. It's easy to say wealthier people consume more and therefore would pay the PST more often. You still have to declare dividends as income on your personnel income tax return.

Why shouldn't people who earn less not be able to go and buy nice things, they just have to save longer and shouldn't be penalized for it with extra taxes. Wages haven't kept up with the cost of living and inflation for a lot of people.

Wouldn't it just be easier to increase taxes on higher earners? And you could start at 60k for example.
Again, very difficult to administer. Also, we already tax higher earners more.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #8489
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is a non-issue. You roll the PST into an HST, and you refund it just like they do the GST for low income earners. The solution exists, and is in place. No need to fret.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #8490
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
This is not true, and its not about moral standing, its about limited health care resources and outcomes data. For elective surgeries (eg. joint replacements) surgeons can absolutely insist that a patient stop smoking and lose weight before they do the surgery, effectively deprioritizing those patients for others with better life decision making. Organ transplant waitlist priority would employ similiar judgements.

Now that we are officially entering wartime era triaging, the acute stroke guy knocking on the door of the ICU with severe coronary artery disease and end stage emphysema directly as a result of 50 years+ smoking is probably not getting an ICU bed.

For the record, we have been told by the College that vaccination status cannot be used to determine ICU triage. However, with a broad mandate to restrict ICU admissions to those who are likely to survive past 1 year, and with data showing a major difference in outcomes for vaccinated vs. unvaccinated, it could potentially enter into the decision making process as one purely objective variable amongst many.
Speaking of which, they've stop doing them becuase they have no ICU to use. So now perfectly useful organs are going to waste, and people will die. Even worse, many people will need kidney and lung transplants from covid in the future. Every extra covid case is a huge drain on resources, now and for years to come.

This government is actively killing its citizens. They need to go, yesterday. Is there really no way to fix this? We just sit back and let it happen? So infuriating.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #8491
Izzle
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Speaking of which, they've stop doing them becuase they have no ICU to use. So now perfectly useful organs are going to waste, and people will die. Even worse, many people will need kidney and lung transplants from covid in the future. Every extra covid case is a huge drain on resources, now and for years to come.

This government is actively killing its citizens. They need to go, yesterday. Is there really no way to fix this? We just sit back and let it happen? So infuriating.
BuT tHiNk Of ThE eCoNoMy!
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #8492
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your profile says your in NZ, why do you care? I don't think anybody who voted for Kenney could have predicted the disaster in the last month alone.
I live in Calgary. I voted in the 2019 election. Anyone with an iota of intelligence could have seen the UCP's very right-wing position on healthcare, even before the pandemic. So yeah, I care.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 08:10 PM   #8493
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Once I got to a professional position where I was paying larger amounts of tax, I had options as to where I would live. One of the more significant factors for me staying in Alberta long term was the long, hot summers, and mild winters. And the lower tax rate.

I know it’s totally anecdotal, and I don’t know how widespread (numerically) that is a factor, but I do know of several others who had similar choices and stayed or moved to Alberta.

Not to defend the UCP at this point…based on the last couple of months, I can’t vote for them again. If there was an election tomorrow, I would even vote for the NDP before the UCP. And I thought the NPD were a mess when they were in power last time.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #8494
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Wouldn't implementing a long overdue PST to raise revenues since the O/G economy is no longer reliable to use royalties as vehicle for operational funding be "raising taxes?"

And what, exactly, is the problem with this?
Or you could just dispense with the crappy temporally regressive taxes like VATS, and tax people on income and capital gains so everyone gets hit with tax at the same time, so you aren't letting the affluent collect interest and gains on money that should be funding social programs.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #8495
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Your profile says your in NZ, why do you care? I don't think anybody who voted for Kenney could have predicted the disaster in the last month alone.
I'm sure if you find posts from me in 2019 on this thread I predicted the UPC would be a disaster.

I feel like I'm somebody.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #8496
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would hope that after the messes in SK, ON, and AB over the last few years that people come to their senses and realize that that brand of Canadian conservatism is at best incompetent and at worst dangerous and inhumane.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #8497
Izzle
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I would hope that after the messes in SK, ON, and AB over the last few years that people come to their senses and realize that that brand of Canadian conservatism is at best incompetent and at worst dangerous and inhumane.
"yeah but it's OUR incompetence! That gets a pass compared to left wing incompetence. Folks might die, but it was done for the economy!!"
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #8498
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Once I got to a professional position where I was paying larger amounts of tax, I had options as to where I would live. One of the more significant factors for me staying in Alberta long term was the long, hot summers, and mild winters. And the lower tax rate.

I know it’s totally anecdotal, and I don’t know how widespread (numerically) that is a factor, but I do know of several others who had similar choices and stayed or moved to Alberta.

Not to defend the UCP at this point…based on the last couple of months, I can’t vote for them again. If there was an election tomorrow, I would even vote for the NDP before the UCP. And I thought the NPD were a mess when they were in power last time.
See? I knew you’d come around eventually. Common ground, here we come!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #8499
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
One of the more significant factors for me staying in Alberta long term was the long, hot summers, and mild winters.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #8500
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone describe Alberta as having long hot summers or mild winters.

Moving because of taxes is like taking a job with a higher salary except it has worse working conditions, longer hours, no health benefits, no dental coverage, no rsp matching etc.

There’s more to life than just your tax rate.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:

Tags
pleatedkhakis , whywouldthendpdothis