Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #81
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441409868263354373
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #82
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Get it done, Tre.

Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #83
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am guessing that based on Kypreos tweet, that other teams have concerns about the surgery that Eichel is looking to get.

I think this gets done before training camp and I think the Flames need to be front and center on this. This is a franchise center that the flames are not likely being able to grab in the next few years in the draft, as I don't see ownership wanting a rebuild.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #84
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Sabres strip Eichel of captaincy

Seems perfectly reasonable to want conditions on Eichel’s performance/health after the trade and surgery. Those conditions would obviously be placed on the picks that would be included. If eichel returns to being what he was before injury… Adams will get the haul of picks that he wants for what he’s bragging eichel is right now (a franchise-level young center). If eichel doesn’t return to form or health… then he’ll be getting a team’s top prospects for a player that is a shadow of his former self or may not even play at a high level ever again. In either case, it ends up being a good return for Buffalo.

Feels like Adams is making a point to fleece someone in a deal instead of just making it a good return for a good player. Imagine something like this:

Zary
Pelletier
Dube
Conditional 2022 first round pick
Conditional 2023 first round pick

Flames would have to move salary of course but they could wait till eichel is healthy to do that. That could be in the offseason if they end up pulling a kucherov with eichel.

Conditions on 2022 pick: if eichel puts up at least 50 points this season or if the flames make the playoffs, it’s a 1st round pick (that’s top 3 protected). If not, it’s a 2nd round pick. If the pick ends up being a top 3 pick and the flames choose to keep the pick, all conditions on the 2023 first round pick are waived and an additional 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick are added to the package.

Conditions on the 2023 pick: if eichel scores at least 70 points in 2022-2023 or if the flames make the playoffs in 2023, it’s a first round pick. If not, it’s 2 x 2nd round picks (one in 2023 and another in 2024).

Best case scenario for Buffalo:

Flames miss the playoffs in 2022 and eichel puts up 50 points (could be a top ten pick).
Flames miss playoffs in 2023 but eichel puts up 70 points (could be a lottery pick).

Worst case scenario for Buffalo (and worst case for Calgary too if they just miss playoffs and don’t get a high pick):

Eichel does not put up 50 points this season and the flames miss the playoffs this season.
Eichel puts up less than 70 points next season and the flames miss the playoffs next season as well.

Last edited by stemit14; 09-24-2021 at 11:57 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #85
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
You can almost guaranty that no matter which procedure he has done that the balance of his contract will not be covered by any insurance company.

The devil will very much be in the details. Geico is a league partner and through them every team in the league insures ~5-7 of their biggest contracts.

Whether an existing policy might be transferable would be a complicated but important issue for the league and PA for rare situations like this.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #86
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get it done.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #87
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Seems perfectly reasonable to want conditions on Eichel’s performance/health after the trade and surgery. Those conditions would obviously be placed on the picks that would be included. If eichel returns to being what he was before injury… Adams will get the haul of picks that he wants for what he’s bragging eichel is right now (a franchise-level young center). If eichel doesn’t return to form or health… then he’ll be getting a team’s top prospects for a player that is a shadow of his former self or may not even play at a high level ever again. In either case, it ends up being a good return for Buffalo.

Feels like Adams is making a point to fleece someone in a deal instead of just making it a good return for a good player. Imagine something like this:

Zary
Pelletier
Dube
Conditional 2022 first round pick
Conditional 2023 first round pick

Flames would have to move salary of course but they could wait till eichel is healthy to do that. That could be in the offseason if they end up pulling a kucherov with eichel.

Conditions on 2022 pick: if eichel puts up at least 50 points this season or if the flames make the playoffs, it’s a 1st round pick (that’s top 3 protected). If not, it’s a 2nd round pick. If the pick ends up being a top 3 pick and the flames choose to keep the pick, all conditions on the 2023 first round pick are waived and an additional 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick are added to the package.

Conditions on the 2023 pick: if eichel scores at least 70 points in 2022-2023 or if the flames make the playoffs in 2023, it’s a first round pick. If not, it’s 2 x 2nd round picks (one in 2023 and another in 2024).

Best case scenario for Buffalo:

Flames miss the playoffs in 2022 and eichel puts up 50 points (could be a top ten pick).
Flames miss playoffs in 2023 but eichel puts up 70 points (could be a lottery pick).

Worst case scenario for Buffalo (and worst case for Calgary too if they just miss playoffs and don’t get a high pick):

Eichel does not put up 50 points this season and the flames miss the playoffs this season.
Eichel puts up less than 70 points next season and the flames miss the playoffs next season as well.
I would think the conditions would also be attached to Eichel being a part of that success. If Jack never returns to form, but other players step up and the Flames are making the playoffs in spite of JE's 15 goal seasons and a WAR that only Edmonton would think is good, then Buffalo wouldn't be getting more goodies. They already won the trade by getting serviceable prospects.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #88
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Get it done, Tre.

Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.
For Flames fans, there is only suffering. Hope exists to be crushed.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #89
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCookie View Post
I would think the conditions would also be attached to Eichel being a part of that success. If Jack never returns to form, but other players step up and the Flames are making the playoffs in spite of JE's 15 goal seasons and a WAR that only Edmonton would think is good, then Buffalo wouldn't be getting more goodies. They already won the trade by getting serviceable prospects.

Agreed. The offers I just put forward still favour Buffalo in the trade over all in terms of risk. The flames would be taking the bigger risk since my trade proposal gives first round picks to Buffalo simply if the flames make the playoffs in both 2022 and 2023 even if eichel plays poorly or not at all. More conditions could be added based solely on Eichel’s performance.

There has to be conditions based on the flames making or not making the playoffs this year since, at this point, eichel will miss a significant part of the season and the flames hopes of making the playoffs will likely hinge solely on all the other players. Especially if the flames would have to send roster players out in the trade (Valimaki or Dube or mangiapane or tkachuk for example). Eichel could show up too late to be of any help even if he is a PPG player when he does come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #90
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dear Tre:

Old 09-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #91
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If everyone is truly offering conditional compensation, this presents an opportunity IMO. Take a big risk on his procedure working out and offer a package with no conditions, which obviously would be less than if you offered a conditional package and all the conditions end up being met.

It’s a high variance move but considering this franchise seems stuck in neutral, I’d be in favor. If it doesn’t work, no option but to rebuild.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #92
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Eichel’s comment helps for sure. He might not have a choice where he goes, but teams don’t want to acquire a player that doesn’t want to be there. For a smaller market team and teams in Canada, it is good to know that.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #93
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

For some reason, Pelletier in Buffalo has me thinking Danny Gare....
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #94
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So, at what point does Eichel end up suing the Sabres?
He’s getting paid. What would he sue for?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #95
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

More and more I'm thinking that doing a Tampa with Eichels injury is the plan.

Which would be good in the sense that it's pretty much guaranteed the practice gets banned.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #96
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
More and more I'm thinking that doing a Tampa with Eichels injury is the plan.

Which would be good in the sense that it's pretty much guaranteed the practice gets banned.
Buffalo can't make the playoffs WITH Eichel.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #97
Wish They Could Win
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can Buffalo put Eichel on LTIR once the season starts and then trade him to a team close to the cap? Would this allow a team like the Flames to exceed the cap and not have to move any money off the roster until Eichel is ready to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish They Could Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #98
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish They Could Win View Post
Can Buffalo put Eichel on LTIR once the season starts and then trade him to a team close to the cap? Would this allow a team like the Flames to exceed the cap and not have to move any money off the roster until Eichel is ready to go?
That's possible in theory, but as soon as Eichel is medically cleared to play, that team would be over a barrel. They would have to get rid of the excess cap hit at once, and I think you can safely assume other teams would not be doing them any favours. It would be a hell of a risk, unless you already know Eichel won't be able to play during the regular season.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #99
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am starting to despise the Sabres more each day.

Yeah, I get it, it sucks. Your franchise C wants out and just happens to be injured. Terrible luck and timing. But FFS you can't expect teams to trade you full value for him as if he was 100% healthy.

It's ####ing ridiculous.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #100
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I am starting to despise the Sabres more each day.

Yeah, I get it, it sucks. Your franchise C wants out and just happens to be injured. Terrible luck and timing. But FFS you can't expect teams to trade you full value for him as if he was 100% healthy.

It's ####ing ridiculous.
And if that is indeed what they want, let him have whatever surgery he wants to have, and start his rehab.

You can’t ask for a premium and do everything in your power to submarine the player and the team who’s paying the premium to acquire him.

Just another reason the Sabres are a wretched organization.