Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #241
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
No wonder things are not progressing Gaudreau's agent is talking to a tree.
Gaudreau’s Agent: so Tre, we want $9 million for 7 years with full NMC.

Tre: I am Groot.

Gaudreau’s Agent: what?

Tre: I am Groot!

The sad part is, Tre said sure, but there is a failure to communicate.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #242
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t help feeling this all hinges on Eichel.

We get him, we can keep Johnny, and maybe even Tkachuk. But Johnny for sure.

Gaudreau isn’t signing another 5-8 years to play with Monahan.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #243
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I can’t help feeling this all hinges on Eichel.

We get him, we can keep Johnny, and maybe even Tkachuk. But Johnny for sure.

Why? He loves playing with Monahan. I think possibly an Eichel acquisition might affect a Gaudreau signing from management side but not Johnny's.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #244
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Did you listen to him in his media availability yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #245
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why? He loves playing with Monahan. I think possibly an Eichel acquisition might affect a Gaudreau signing from management side but not Johnny's.
Because he demands to only play with high draft pick American centres. Or live somewhere else. Those are the only options imaginable. Haven’t you Flames Fan’d before?

I’m assuming he’s been shouting this from the rooftops by the amount of times this rubbish is rehashed.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #246
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think (me, not someone else) that this habit some people have of acting like they're in the minds of these other people, especially those with entirely different lives and circumstances, is entirely silly.

If NHL star players think differently than you (assuming we know at least that much is true) then it would follow that any claims you make about what they thought or are thinking is totally pointless nonsense.
The other really silly thing is coming onto a message board and shouting down at people to not voice opinions based on inferences from things like context, past history, body language, statements made, etc. and then turning literally everything into an appeal to authority, thus completely usurping the entire point of a message board.

Nobody knows anything ever. Got it. Don’t bother participating then?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #247
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

His last contract was interesting and thought it was good at the time. But this little no trade clause in the final year worked out nicely for him. Maybe he knew there was a chance he would leave
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #248
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
His last contract was interesting and thought it was good at the time. But this little no trade clause in the final year worked out nicely for him. Maybe he knew there was a chance he would leave
I think most players would have that as a contingency plan. It is why NMCs often kick in later in the contract. Doesn't mean he wants to leave, or wanted to leave at the time of making the contract - to me it is basically Gaudreau saying near the end of the contract there is a potential that A) I won't want to re-sign or B)the team will want to trade me because they don't want to re-sign me, to give me as much control should either or both of those scenarios occur an NMC would be logical to include in the contract.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #249
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I think most players would have that as a contingency plan. It is why NMCs often kick in later in the contract. Doesn't mean he wants to leave, or wanted to leave at the time of making the contract - to me it is basically Gaudreau saying near the end of the contract there is a potential that A) I won't want to re-sign or B)the team will want to trade me because they don't want to re-sign me, to give me as much control should either or both of those scenarios occur an NMC would be logical to include in the contract.
It’s near the end of contracts with RFAs because they can only do it in the UFA years at the end. Gio’s in contrast had a full NTC in the first 4 years and a MNTC in the last two so the team had some flexibility to move him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #250
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think (me, not someone else) that this habit some people have of acting like they're in the minds of these other people, especially those with entirely different lives and circumstances, is entirely silly.

If NHL star players think differently than you (assuming we know at least that much is true) then it would follow that any claims you make about what they thought or are thinking is totally pointless nonsense.
There is a world of difference between saying what someone is actually thinking and what someone may be thinking or ls likely thinking.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #251
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Why would Gaudreau stay here? A) If the team was good and/or B) he gets a LT offer at 9M+. Neither is happening. Unless he places exorbitant value on the friendships and relationships he‘s made here (ie Monahan) I firmly believe he’s going back East and I don’t blame him. We can hope and pray it’s in a trade but this may go down as the worst asset mgmt in the history of the team. I hope I’m wrong
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #252
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Why would Gaudreau stay here? A) If the team was good and/or B) he gets a LT offer at 9M+. Neither is happening. Unless he places exorbitant value on the friendships and relationships he‘s made here (ie Monahan) I firmly believe he’s going back East and I don’t blame him. We can hope and pray it’s in a trade but this may go down as the worst asset mgmt in the history of the team. I hope I’m wrong
Number 1 reason would be the familiarity and him being comfortable here.

Players love to be comfortable in their surroundings and with the team. Not a guarantee that even if he gets paid that he will be comfortable on his new team and he will fit in as a player or in the locker room.

I think fans underestimate how much that means to a player.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #253
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is pretty presumptuous to conclude that the team will not be good this year, and that Gaudreau would have no incentive to stay beyond a gross overpay or for the friendships he has made along the way. The Flames could realistically finish second in the Division, and start the first round of the playoffs on home ice. I have no doubt that Gaudreau at least sees this potential at the outset, and this combined with his familiarity with the team will undoubtedly play a significant role in whether or not he re-signs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #254
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think it is pretty presumptuous to conclude that the team will not be good this year, and that Gaudreau would have no incentive to stay beyond a gross overpay or for the friendships he has made along the way. The Flames could realistically finish second in the Division, and start the first round of the playoffs on home ice. I have no doubt that Gaudreau at least sees this potential at the outset, and this combined with his familiarity with the team will undoubtedly play a significant role in whether or not he re-signs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

It’s definitely presumptuous. Just my opinion
Old 09-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #255
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Gaudreau’s Agent: so Tre, we want $9 million for 7 years with full NMC.

Tre: I am Groot.

Gaudreau’s Agent: what?

Tre: I am Groot!

The sad part is, Tre said sure, but there is a failure to communicate.
I totally understand what Tre is saying here
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #256
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where out East? He isn't going to Philly unless they sacrifice a bunch of future to make the cap space. The Rangers have big money coming up to spend and the Islanders are capped out. So that leaves NJ who will need to ink Hughes to a new deal as well and does Gaudreau even fit the timeline for what they are trying to do there? The only thing people were always spitballing about was him playing for the Flyers, that is not happening next year as a UFA.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #257
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because the team has plateaued.

They’re not getting significantly better unless they add a premiere player. They aren’t drafting their way out of this picking anywhere from 12th to 24th overall.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #258
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Where out East? He isn't going to Philly unless they sacrifice a bunch of future to make the cap space. The Rangers have big money coming up to spend and the Islanders are capped out. So that leaves NJ who will need to ink Hughes to a new deal as well and does Gaudreau even fit the timeline for what they are trying to do there? The only thing people were always spitballing about was him playing for the Flyers, that is not happening next year as a UFA.

Yeah I haven’t looked into the individual teams’ cap situations. I wonder if JG is planning to wait until closer to trade deadline to see if the flames are going to the playoffs or not, and then will decide. He could even go to a contender as a rental and then re-evaluate UFA options after the season. There’s a ton of options and paths here. None of them look all that good for the Flames.

All I’m saying is that I think the balance of probabilities points to him leaving. Not the least of which is that he hasn’t signed a long term deal with the team. That’s pretty telling in of itself.

And it’s not like I’m negative all the time. I was pounding the table that I thought he was going to sign his ELC with the Flames when lots of people were all but certain he was going to use the 4 year college loophole.
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #259
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Because the team has plateaued.

They’re not getting significantly better unless they add a premiere player. They aren’t drafting their way out of this picking anywhere from 12th to 24th overall.
They might, though. Better than last year? Sure. Better than the playoffs performances we’ve seen? Sure. Both are doable without getting a premiere player, and we’ve hit gold with players picked a lot later than 12, so we’ll see.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #260
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They might, though. Better than last year? Sure. Better than the playoffs performances we’ve seen? Sure. Both are doable without getting a premiere player, and we’ve hit gold with players picked a lot later than 12, so we’ll see.
Sutter said he came here to win a championship.

I don’t see how that is achievable with a 160 lb LW as the best offensive player on the team. At minimum, he needs another elite player.

If the team hasn’t been able to find one for eight years, why would Gaudreau think they’d be able to do it in the next seven? Especially if they flub this, the best chance they’re going to get at a #1C?

Who could they possibly acquire who’s better, younger, under team control for longer, than Jack Eichel in the next 2-3 years?

Nobody. So if they can’t get him, you’re stuck in the mud.

And I don’t know who signs up to be stuck in the mud.

At least the Oilers can argue “we have McDavid and Draisaitl - anything could happen”.

What’s the reason Gaudreau signs here, at anything less than a premium?

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 09-25-2021 at 01:30 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: