Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon55 Sabres sign Dahlin (3yrs, $6 mil AAV)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1440687428105162760
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good deal. Kids going to be a star, if Buffalo doesn’t ruin him.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good deal for the Sabres for now I think.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's gonna pop this year. This is going to be a steal of a deal.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I’m surprised

Sabres with a team friendly deal, Dahlin coming off of a bad year due to being on a bad team

The guy had 40 points in 59 games the previous year

Player should have done a 1 year deal at that price and needs a new agent, in my personal opinion
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not a fan of this deal for the Sabres. They aren’t going to be good for 3 years so why does it help them if it is a steal while they rebuild? Just when they start to get good they will need to fork out a huge raise. Blowing it up and not managing timing of your contracts seem to be biggest mistake teams are making these days
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good AAV for Sabres. Is he still an RFA at the end of this?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does that third year have that poison pill with the higher qualifying number?
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yes 7.2 M in yr 3
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Not a fan of this deal for the Sabres. They aren’t going to be good for 3 years so why does it help them if it is a steal while they rebuild? Just when they start to get good they will need to fork out a huge raise. Blowing it up and not managing timing of your contracts seem to be biggest mistake teams are making these days

Yeah. I think some teams don’t think as long term as others. Buffalo has tons of cap space right now but in three years… dahlin will need a new contract, mittelstadt will need a new contract, jokiharju will need a new contract, Cozens will need a new contract… just to name a few. If Owen Power joins the team next year, he will need a new contract the following year. And then there’s the possibility that Buffalo gets one of the superstars in the next two drafts… those guys will be due huge contracts that following year.

Buffalo could have done themselves a huge favour by trying to lock up Dahlin for a longer contract now. But I guess it’s a good deal for the next 3 years and it’s likely Dahlin’s camp did not want anything longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last thing you want to give the Sabres if you’re Dahlin is term.

What a terrible franchise.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #12
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Yeah. I think some teams don’t think as long term as others. Buffalo has tons of cap space right now but in three years… dahlin will need a new contract, mittelstadt will need a new contract, jokiharju will need a new contract, Cozens will need a new contract… just to name a few. If Owen Power joins the team next year, he will need a new contract the following year. And then there’s the possibility that Buffalo gets one of the superstars in the next two drafts… those guys will be due huge contracts that following year.

Buffalo could have done themselves a huge favour by trying to lock up Dahlin for a longer contract now. But I guess it’s a good deal for the next 3 years and it’s likely Dahlin’s camp did not want anything longer than that.

I agree and it is very likely that Dahlin didn't want to sign long term now and was betting on himself and the cap going up starting 3 years from now. With the TV deal and high escrow for the next 3 years his next deal could be much better than anything he gets now. But that doesn't change that it isn't a great deal for the Sabres unless they magically turn the corner much faster than expected in the next 2 years. Even then if they turned they corner quickly it will be likely due to all the players you listed playing well and all needing new deals at the same time.

Also I wonder what Eichel's teammates think about his situation. He could be ripping Adams to all his teammates all summer and they could all be or most be on his side. Who wants to sign 8 years in Buffalo if that is the case? They should have addressed this situation before camp started.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #13
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad it isn't another one of these post-ELC, $9M fiascos. But I agree with whoever said that the Sabres should have gone for term and got him locked up as long as possible. For the next three years, they will be clawing to reach the floor.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Glad it isn't another one of these post-ELC, $9M fiascos. But I agree with whoever said that the Sabres should have gone for term and got him locked up as long as possible. For the next three years, they will be clawing to reach the floor.
Good chance the player and his agent wanted a short deal. The bridge deal seems to be preferable to good young players that are unsure about the direction of the franchise or have an eye on playing in a different city.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #15
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Not a thing anymore. It was done away with in the last CBA extension, offer is now based on the AAV of the contract. I think Tkachuk's contract year was the last of the stupid large number at the end.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #16
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Yes 7.2 M in yr 3
Why do I keep thinking they changed that rule? I thought now it was changed to just the AAV.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Why do I keep thinking they changed that rule? I thought now it was changed to just the AAV.
This explains it way better than I could.

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/PPCBA
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

Literally none of this is a problem. Buffalo wasn't even at the cap FLOOR before the Dahlin signing. They'll have almost $7 mil coming off the books before then from the bad Okposo contract and Cody Hodgson buyout finally running out.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #19
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I’m surprised

Sabres with a team friendly deal, Dahlin coming off of a bad year due to being on a bad team

The guy had 40 points in 59 games the previous year

Player should have done a 1 year deal at that price and needs a new agent, in my personal opinion
Except no way he gets $6M on a 1 year deal.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote