Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you want Jagr in Calgary on a 1yr reasonable deal?
Yes 671 85.15%
No 117 14.85%
Voters: 788. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #61
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Just say no to anymore players over 35. We meet our quota. We're better off playing the young guys and getting them the development time needed to adjust to the game. The longer you wait, the longer it is going to take for them to become contributing members to the team long term.

Jagr is not just another player over 35, he is JAROMIR FRICKIN' JAGR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #62
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes on Jagr. Hockey is meant to be fun, and this would be very fun. As a hockey fan, let's enjoy that ride if we can make it happen. Jagr's still productive and an asset to a team (even on the 3rd or 4th line), and the marketing potential would be huge for this city.

Let's just have fun with it if it happens. Hockey is just a game at the end of the day and Jagr is a legend.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #63
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Pass on Jagr.

If he does sign here, I bet he becomes the new whipping boy AKA Brouwer last year.

46 years old. The wheels will suddenly fall off. Yes, he had some success last season on a team that didn't make the playoffs.
I disagree. I think he will come cheaper than Brouwer, and they really aren't even comparable players. Jagr can still drive the play and has great ability to hold onto and protect the puck. Even at 46, I think it's safe to say if he was given the opportunities Brouwer had last year, he will outshine Brouwer in a big way
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #64
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm seriously looking forward to "Jagr night" at the dome where mullet wigs are given out to the first 5000 fans through the door.

Sign. Him. Now.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #65
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
BT has looked at everyone without a contract. I don't see this as news.
Even Wideman?

Old 08-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #66
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Quota being zero players over 35?
You catch on quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Jagr is not just another player over 35, he is JAROMIR FRICKIN' JAGR.
Yeah, and other teams are just beating the door down to sign him too. They must all be crazy, right? I mean, this is JAROMIR FRICKIN' JAGR!!!

I kid, I kid.

The thing is that Jagr is not an answer to any problem the Flames currently have, or need to address long term. Jagr is not the missing piece. In fact, he's just as big a question mark as many of the kids we have on the farm. Instead of asking "can player X from Stockton play at the NHL level?" we're left asking "can Jagr still play at the NHL level?" I would argue the jury is in and the adjudication has been made. The lack of action to get him signed by any team seems to say there isn't much confidence that he has anything left. Give the youth in the system a chance. If they aren't getting it done, circle around and take another look at Jagr then. I think we will be pleasantly surprised how our players step up this year. Just give them a chance rather following the same tired failed approach of bringing in veterans past their expiration date.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #67
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm still waiting for Wideman to sign in Edmonton. Come on Chia!

On topic, I don't see Jagr as being a fit here. Not with the way GG wants this team to play.

Also, didn't Florida have to sit Jagr during the playoffs in 2016? He needed rest or something like that? He played, but sat on the bench a ton.

Cali can you shed light on this for me?

Seems to me that a guy who can't be relied upon once the playoffs begin is a liability ultimately.

Last edited by Toonage; 08-22-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: got the year right
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #68
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

[QUOTE=New Era;6352821]You catch on quick.

Well you did state "anymore players over 35". So I didn't take it as a cheeky joke.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #69
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Retro night becomes a must. If Jagr happens to be hurt on the scheduled night, change it. Seeing Jagr in that classic Flames jersey is a gimmie.
Only there is no retro night.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #70
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
If this is true, we are far from being a contender. A contender does not need to pick up a 46 year old for their top line.
Name a better option for our hole on RW.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #71
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Don't agree. When a team has the defensive and centre depth the Flames have being a little weak on the wings doesn't impede this team from being a contender. If Mike Smith is an upgrade on Brian Elliott this team will be contenders next year with or without Jagr
Defense is top 3 at worst of the top 4 stay healthy yes but center?

Don't think the center depth would be considered top level in the league, if Bennett takes a big leap than yes but that's a big if

Even just the Pacific, all the other playoff possible contenders are probably stronger down the middle
Old 08-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #72
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Name a better option for our hole on RW.
Michael Ferland.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #73
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would love to see Jagr come to Calgary, however I disagree that he would "fill our hole on RW".

Personally, I don't see him playing top line minutes, more likely top-9 with some time on the PP.

I'd like to see that "hole" get filled within the organisation. Just re-watched AC's vids and I'd like to see Ferly getting time with Johnny and Mony as I think he has shown chemistry with them in the past, has a great shot, and could be in position to really break out if he can find some consistency.

But yes to Jagr, will definitely cut my flow into a mullet if he signs here.
The Following User Says Thank You to jemjey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #74
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Michael Ferland.
great minds think alike...?
The Following User Says Thank You to jemjey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The problem with this debate is the inability to see the future. If Jagr continues to play every season there will be a year where the wheels literally fall off; its inevitable.

If it's this season then the Flames take a gamble and have a contract that hurts them in a season that has some promise.

If the wheels don't come off this season I see a guy that would have been 6th on the Flames in scoring last year, and 5th for forwards. That's a pretty good plug in for a free agent at the end of the summer. Really it's this season's Versteeg.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #76
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do it. Do it. Do it
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #77
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Defense is top 3 at worst of the top 4 stay healthy yes but center?

Don't think the center depth would be considered top level in the league, if Bennett takes a big leap than yes but that's a big if

Even just the Pacific, all the other playoff possible contenders are probably stronger down the middle
Well Monahan was just ranked in the top 20 centers in the league and Backlund is as good of a number 2 centre as any not named Malkin. Yes Bennett needs a large step forward but with his and Jankowski's potential I do believe the Flames are deep at centre. You also have Stajan and Lazar who can step in if needed.

I am guilty of being a big believer that Bennett will break out soon and if Backlund becomes the number 3 centre on this team in the next 1-2 years it will be hard to argue Calgary is not one of the deepest teams up the middle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #78
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love Jagr, but only if he's fine with taking a diminished roll, is willing to sign for cheap, and is open to the possibility of being traded at the deadline if a good enough deal comes along.

Hard to believe the guy is 46 and likely to play in the NHL next season.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #79
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The problem with this debate is the inability to see the future. If Jagr continues to play every season there will be a year where the wheels literally fall off; its inevitable.

If it's this season then the Flames take a gamble and have a contract that hurts them in a season that has some promise.

If the wheels don't come off this season I see a guy that would have been 6th on the Flames in scoring last year, and 5th for forwards. That's a pretty good plug in for a free agent at the end of the summer. Really it's this season's Versteeg.
What you say is true.

Of course, it was true 6 years ago, and the gamble being made every year has paid off.

The Flames have the cap room. If the wheels do fall off, he won't play much, so it will only cost them a bit of space that may well have gone unused anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #80
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The fuse on that stick of dynamite keeps getting shorter and shorter.
Closed Thread