Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #3161
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

It seems the ideal solution would have been to rename 'Sarcee' from Glenmore to 16 ave Nw (approx 9km) 'Tsuu T'ina Trail' and leave the entire ring road as Stoney. As it is, they are getting ~13km of naming rights...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #3162
lazypucker
First Line Centre
 
lazypucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Doesn't matter how they rename the roads, we mostly will refer them with the original name. I still call 22x the 22x, not the Spruce Meadows Trail sponsored by Atco Energy whatever crap it is. Same as say I will tell my friends to meet me at the Cineplex at Chinook rather than the Scotiabank Theatre....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #3163
4X4
One of the Nine
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Doesn't matter how they rename the roads, we mostly will refer them with the original name. I still call 22x the 22x, not the Spruce Meadows Trail sponsored by Atco Energy whatever crap it is. Same as say I will tell my friends to meet me at the Cineplex at Chinook rather than the Scotiabank Theatre....
Don't forget poor Marquis of Lorne, who had a trail until those bastards went and completed Stoney and ripped the name right off the green signs.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #3164
Ducay
Franchise Player
 
Ducay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Tsuu'tina Trail eh. Can't wait for the headache that is typing it into google maps or trying to get Google to understand what I'm saying.

Would have been far too logical to name the entire ring road one thing, or name each section its own.

Can't wait for some out of town schmuck who has to go from Stoney, to Tsutina, to Sarcee, onto the TCH, back onto Stoney, then to the Sarcee in the NW.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #3165
timun
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Doesn't matter how they rename the roads, we mostly will refer them with the original name. I still call 22x the 22x, not the Spruce Meadows Trail sponsored by Atco Energy whatever crap it is. Same as say I will tell my friends to meet me at the Cineplex at Chinook rather than the Scotiabank Theatre....
Paramount Famous Players, you mean.

Last edited by timun; 08-13-2019 at 05:06 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #3166
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Tsuu'tina Trail eh. Can't wait for the headache that is typing it into google maps or trying to get Google to understand what I'm saying.

Would have been far too logical to name the entire ring road one thing, or name each section its own.

Can't wait for some out of town schmuck who has to go from Stoney, to Tsutina, to Sarcee, onto the TCH, back onto Stoney, then to the Sarcee in the NW.
I dunno, in theory it sound since to have it all be one name, but then you run into "go northbound on Stoney", but is that Stoney east or west? And if you have to specify, then you have 2 road names. Each leg would be fine with a separate name, with the exception of the NW, they all have logical change points.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #3167
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player
 
Jimmy Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, in theory it sound since to have it all be one name, but then you run into "go northbound on Stoney", but is that Stoney east or west? And if you have to specify, then you have 2 road names. Each leg would be fine with a separate name, with the exception of the NW, they all have logical change points.
Referring to it as lockwise and counter-clockwise would be logical. But that'll never catch on here. It works for the M25 in London quite nicely though.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #3168
Shazam
Franchise Player
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memento Mori
Exp:
Default

There are two Stoney Trail at Country Hills Boulevard intersections.

Wanna go east on Stoney? Take the north exit. Wanna go west? Take the south exit.
__________________
If you don't pass this sig to ten of your friends, you will become an Oilers fan.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #3169
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player
 
Jimmy Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
There are two Stoney Trail at Country Hills Boulevard intersections.

Wanna go east on Stoney? Take the north exit. Wanna go west? Take the south exit.
Stoney actually has a few "duplicate" intersections. Country Hills, Deerfoot, 16th Avenue/Trans Canada, and eventually Glenmore.

One of my peeves is when a traffic report talks about an accident at Stoney and Country Hills, for example, but neglects the state the quadrant. An important detail.

Yet on a non-traffic news story they do the opposite. "An incident in the city's southwest!" despite that being a ridiculously vague and useless descriptor in a city this size. And then it ends up being half a block off of centre street downtown...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #3170
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Yup, "accident at the onramp of Stoney at 16th ave" is not very helpful.



They could have gone with 2 names though. One for the west and north, and one for the east and south.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #3171
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Might as well keep it the naming as confusing as Crowchild.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #3172
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Stoney actually has a few "duplicate" intersections. Country Hills, Deerfoot, 16th Avenue/Trans Canada, and eventually Glenmore.

One of my peeves is when a traffic report talks about an accident at Stoney and Country Hills, for example, but neglects the state the quadrant. An important detail.

Yet on a non-traffic news story they do the opposite. "An incident in the city's southwest!" despite that being a ridiculously vague and useless descriptor in a city this size. And then it ends up being half a block off of centre street downtown...
You think that's fun? Try being a 911 Operator, and getting people to tell you exactly where on Stoney they are...

"I'M ON STONEY! THE ONLY ONE IN THE CITY! STOP WITH YOUR STUPID QUESTIONS AND JUST GET HERE NOW!"
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #3173
Ducay
Franchise Player
 
Ducay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Just wait for "Im at the intersection of Stoney and Sarcee, and the suspect is traveling in the direction of Stoney and Country Hills".
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #3174
Lubicon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Tsuu'tina Trail eh. Can't wait for the headache that is typing it into google maps or trying to get Google to understand what I'm saying.

Would have been far too logical to name the entire ring road one thing, or name each section its own.

Can't wait for some out of town schmuck who has to go from Stoney, to Tsutina, to Sarcee, onto the TCH, back onto Stoney, then to the Sarcee in the NW.
Thankfully they won't have to worry about that as they can stay on the ring road (Stoney/Tsuu tina) all the way from wherever they are starting in the south to Sarcee in the north. They never have to take Sarcee (south) or the TCH once the road is complete.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016