Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #361
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Fun Fact: We lead the Western Conference in Goals For.
You're right. That is fun!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #362
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Lindholm was streaky last year too. I think he scored like 4 goals in the last 50 games of the season or something crazy.

I think your 40ish point guys are always going to be streaky.
I agree that it’s a little soon, or a little too homerish, to conclude that Lindholm’s output will continue while Ferland’s won’t. Yeah Ferland is older but he has improved every single year so that may simply continue.

I still like Lindholm’s game though and may ultimately help the Flames in more ways. Even though that top line hasn’t been great in their own zone so far.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #363
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Fun Fact: We lead the Western Conference in Goals For.

With balanced scoring too. No player top 10 in the league and every regular forward with at least a point.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #364
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On the day of the trade to now I mostly regret losing Ferland. Still like his skill set.

I have no regrets about losing Hamilton.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #365
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It's weird, I actually think the hit looks worse in real time. But it's hard to fault a guy's intent when I can't even figure out a clear position after watching analyzing it for 10 minutes.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #366
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There was a big reaction earlier when Donato tripped Gaudreau.

There wasn't a reaction here because everyone involved in the game knew that what happened to Gaudreau would've happened to every single one of them. And had they been McAvoy, they all would've done it.

Plus they were going on the powerplay. Plus <10 to go. Lots of reasons to not throw a fit.
I hear you. But in response, since Gaudreau was tripped earlier in the game, I would argue that Gaudreau being hit a second time warrants an even bigger response.

I am quite emphatic about a strong response because it is Gaudreau, who is our star player and small, but if the player were anyone other than Gaudreau (e.g., Monahan, Backlund, Tkachuk) I still would want a strong response as the hit was violent enough.

You say there are lots of reasons to not throw a fit, I see a lot of reasons to throw a fit: improves team solidarity, improves team toughness, sends a precedent to the rest of the 29 teams to not take advantage of Gaudreau (and other Flames players), decreases the likelihood of Gaudreau (and other Flames players) being injured.

Perhaps, I am putting too much stock on toughness, but considering the narrative of the past two seasons of the Flames being soft and lacking toughness, I am very disappointed in the Flames response.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #367
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
On the day of the trade to now I mostly regret losing Ferland. Still like his skill set.

Outside of a few streaks when he got hot he was largely invisible and less of a physical presence than Bennett. Zero regrets he's gone.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 01:57 AM   #368
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
a bit surprising that Lindholm is a -3.
He came away from the first game with a -4. Even though he was not responsible for any of the goals against. And I think on a couple of them, he had just stepped on the ice.

In very small sample sizes, things can be entirely attributable to luck. And in this case, Lindholm had a very unlucky first game.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:16 AM   #369
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

Same here. I think we knew what we had in Hamilton. A game breaker at times, but i really felt the downside of his game was being covered up by Gio. What i wondered, was Ferland's game, much like Bennett, being restricted by GG. I just think guys like Ferland can be one of a kind series breakers in the playoffs, but the consistency wasnt there under GG. Was that the system , or the player?
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #370
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why do people try to compare Bennett to Ferly on here? Right now Ferly is the better player. Carolina fans really like him and he is on the topline in Carolina.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #371
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not sensationalize things.

There wasn't any response to the second hit because everyone was coming off the bench and McAvoy was in the midst of being shooed by an official into the penalty box.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #372
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Let's not sensationalize things.

There wasn't any response to the second hit because everyone was coming off the bench and McAvoy was in the midst of being shooed by an official into the penalty box.
Yeah, IIRC, there was a line change because Gaudreau was on a solo effort. And it was just the beginning of it.

And I don't know who was coming on - if its Ryan, Jankowski and Czarnik, I'm not sure who decides to rush McAvoy on the way to the box. Anyone else getting involved gets a game misconduct for coming off the bench.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #373
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Why do people try to compare Bennett to Ferly on here? Right now Ferly is the better player. Carolina fans really like him and he is on the topline in Carolina.
Bit of a chicken and egg thing. Ferland is on the top line because of the departure of of Lindholm, and because he is on the top line and getting PP minutes, he has been put in a position to score more than Bennett has.

Bennett on Carolina's top line would likely be doing equally well.

Anyway, back on topic, I am very pleased with how the Flames have been doing so far this year. After the pre-season China trip, they have won both games at home, are 2-2 on the road, and after playing 4 games against teams I consider to be playoff contenders, they have won 3 of those games, 2 on the road. If you had asked me before the season started if I would have taken a 3-3 record after the first 6 games, I would have said yes, considering the schedule and the quality of competition, but the Flames have done better than that. Hope the keep up the good work tonight against Nashville!
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #374
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He came away from the first game with a -4. Even though he was not responsible for any of the goals against. And I think on a couple of them, he had just stepped on the ice.

In very small sample sizes, things can be entirely attributable to luck. And in this case, Lindholm had a very unlucky first game.
Gaudreau and Monahan are minus players too. Although plus/minus is not a great stat and is affected by luck, there are a couple of other factors here too:

1) That line is getting a lot of points on the PP
2) They still haven't been that good in their own zone, 5 on 5, IMO
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #375
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
With Ferland gone, there's a lot of weight out of the lineup. Bennett is supposed to be playing a heavy game himself, so seeing Bennett bring more of that to his game is going to be important to soften the loss of what he brought.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #376
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
If you are playing 80 games without scoring and still put up 20 goals, those other two games are gonna be doozies!
You bet your ass those games are doozies especially when you for get yoi dont play 100 games a year ansd simply 82
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote