Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #101
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That's the problem.

The neighbours are complaining about the legal activity going on at his house because they are jerks. It happens that 1/10 of the work he does was unknowingly outside of the grounds of bylaw. He can abide by the bylaws and the person who complained will still be annoyed.

Your insinuation that poorer neighbourhoods don't take pride is such crap as well. The wealthier neighbourhoods can afford to outsource the maintenance items. That's about the only difference.

In fact the maintenance of his vehicles shows him taking pride of ownership in his vehicles. Just because they aren't brand new. Your being classest. Buying a home in a "nice area" doesn't entitle you to any more protection from bylaw or people than in any other area.
Is classest an insult? Im ok if it is and i am labelled one. I worked hard and paid thru my nose to be where cars on blocks are not the landscape.
Sorry but it is true that expensive neighborhoods are and look better maintained.
And yes paying a premium does in fact entitle me. In a nice neighbourhood streets are cleaner and pot holes are fixed faster. Thats what paying a much larger tax bill gets you.

And most importantly, an expensive neighborhood almost guarantees that backyard mechanics or people that park on the lawn will look elsewhere. This is the very idea of what good neighborhoods vs bad ones offer and why you have to pay a premium to live there. Im not sure why you don't see it. You can disagree with it, but you can't change it.

I know I sound insensitive, but it's just life. Flying business class is more expensive for a reason too, and we can't blame people for using that privilege. I don't enjoy looking at them from coach, but that's not their fault that I can't afford it.

Last edited by Red; 06-16-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #102
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have neighbours like Red that give me dirty looks for doing work on my cars too, I enjoy that it annoys them now. Sorry that not everyone is a sucker that overpays at the dealer
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #103
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I have neighbours like Red that give me dirty looks for doing work on my cars too, I enjoy that it annoys them now. Sorry that not everyone is a sucker that overpays at the dealer
Reverse snobbery is no better than snobbery. Is it that they can't work on their cars, or that you can't afford to pay someone else to do the work?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #104
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Reverse snobbery is no better than snobbery. Is it that they can't work on their cars, or that you can't afford to pay someone else to do the work?
Yes. I have thousands in tools because I can't afford stuff.
These are people that look down on me for cutting my own lawn. It's next level snobbery. Which surprised me because it's not even thaaaat nice of a neighbourhood. Very middle class

There's nothing wrong with people that don't want to work on their own stuff. Just don't look at me like im poor because I enjoy it. I truly don't understand why people concern themselves with other people's business so much. If it's not causing a mess what's the issue

I am curious what it is about OPs case that brought out bylaw though. Definitely seems like theres more to the story

Last edited by btimbit; 06-16-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Brutal spelling
Old 06-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #105
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Is classest an insult? Im ok if it is and i am labelled one. I worked hard and paid thru my nose to be where cars on blocks are not the landscape.
Sorry but it is true that expensive neighborhoods are and look better maintained.
And yes paying a premium does in fact entitle me. In a nice neighbourhood streets are cleaner and pot holes are fixed faster. Thats what paying a much larger tax bill gets you.

And most importantly, an expensive neighborhood almost guarantees that backyard mechanics or people that park on the lawn will look elsewhere. This is the very idea of what good neighborhoods vs bad ones offer and why you have to pay a premium to live there. Im not sure why you don't see it. You can disagree with it, but you can't change it.

I know I sound insensitive, but it's just life. Flying business class is more expensive for a reason too, and we can't blame people for using that privilege. I don't enjoy looking at them from coach, but that's not their fault that I can't afford it.
I don't think you understand how taxes work. How much you pay in taxes in unrelated to what service you receive. So your potholes should not Ben fixed first becuase you pay more taxes.

A more expensive neighbourhood does entitle to be free from backyard mechanics or a neighbour with a perfect long. It might be more likely, but bylaw enforcement should be equitable across the city. The OP has done nothing wrong with the 6 cars he works on regularly and their is nothing wrong with it. That you look down on people working on cars is classest and the assumption that your nice neighbourhood contains better people is unfounded snobbery.

The problem with your attitude isn't that you get to spend more on nice things
It's that you believe you are entitled to have others around you behave in a certain way because you spent more money.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #106
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yes. I have thousands in tools because I can't afford stuff.
These are people that look down on me for cutting my own lawn. It's next level snobbery. Which surprised me because it's not even thaaaat nice of a neighbourhood. Very middle class

There's nothing wrong with people that don't want to work on their own stuff. Just don't look at me like im poor because I enjoy it. I truly don't understand why people concern themselves with other people's business so much. If it's not causing a mess what's the issue

I am curious what it is about OPs case that brought out bylaw though. Definitely seems like theres more to the story
I think the OP case is pretty clear at least every second weekend he is working on one of six different cars so a neighbour thought he was running a mechanic or a curbing operation. Picture Red as his neighbour seeing him work on Cars every weekend which for some reason bothers him. I don't think there is any more to it than that.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #107
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the OP case is pretty clear at least every second weekend he is working on one of six different cars so a neighbour thought he was running a mechanic or a curbing operation. Picture Red as his neighbour seeing him work on Cars every weekend which for some reason bothers him. I don't think there is any more to it than that.
It's possible. Maybe he has a neighbour that just really wanted to be Jim Lahey so goes out of their way to concern themselves with other people's business
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #108
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you understand how taxes work. How much you pay in taxes in unrelated to what service you receive. So your potholes should not Ben fixed first becuase you pay more taxes.

A more expensive neighbourhood does entitle to be free from backyard mechanics or a neighbour with a perfect long. It might be more likely, but bylaw enforcement should be equitable across the city. The OP has done nothing wrong with the 6 cars he works on regularly and their is nothing wrong with it. That you look down on people working on cars is classest and the assumption that your nice neighbourhood contains better people is unfounded snobbery.

The problem with your attitude isn't that you get to spend more on nice things
It's that you believe you are entitled to have others around you behave in a certain way because you spent more money.
What should and what is are two different realities. The sooner you realize it the better for you.

Like I said, you may dislike it all you want, but you won't be able to change it.

And it's not about what's legal or right. It's about what's commonly acceptable. Call me a snob all you want, same for my neighbours. We are not looking down on anyone, we just wish they either fit in or move their chop shops (borderline legal or not) to other neighbourhoods. That is not unreasonable to anyone who moved to pursue quiet.

The whole planet resolves around money and what it buys you, not sure why this is a surprise here. People pay more so they can have nice things. Always been like this.

And for the record, I am not a rich guy living in a mansion in Mt Royal. But I appreciate the ability to live in a nice quiet neighbourhood and would not welcome a neighbour with a chop shop. Not ashamed of it either.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #109
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do you call what the OP is doing running a chop shop?

How many cars can one do the maintenance before it offends your quiet neighbourhood
Are children allowed to play in the streets?
What about yell and scream in backyards?
Are backyard fires aloud?

What about car maintenance bothers you?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #110
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you call what the OP is doing running a chop shop?

How many cars can one do the maintenance before it offends your quiet neighbourhood
Are children allowed to play in the streets?
What about yell and scream in backyards?
Are backyard fires aloud?

What about car maintenance bothers you?
Ha yes let's dramatize it. I have kids and my next door neighbour has fires every other weekend.

The guy's house is an eyesore 6 cars in the driveway. Those aren't good cars by the sounds of it, they are cars that need work. Not maintenance, engine rebuilds. Probably with a bunch of buddies stopping by to help or hang out.He can try and sugarcoat it how only his uncle comes there etc. The truth is probably a lot worse. Sounds like a car flipper to me. I can only imagine what a bad day looks like there. 11 extra cars? Probably not, but the point stands. A lot of activity there and ugly landscape of junkers. What about that guy that thinks that slightly rusted 86 Firebird on blocks is a awesome? Should i not be bothered to see that next door?
People like that usually end up with a junkyard around their house. Or at least to me thats a junk yard.

Again, it's about respecting your surroundings. Don't be the odd ball. It's the reality,most people dont want rentals, day cares and other loud or busy activities near where they live. Even when they need that day care. Just as long as it's not on their block. I am not the odd ball here. We may be snobs, but i don't really care about labels people attach to me.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #111
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guy's house is an eyesore 6 cars in the driveway. Those aren't good cars by the sounds of it, they are cars that need work. Not maintenance, engine rebuilds. Probably with a bunch of buddies stopping by to help or hang out.
And you've seen all this at his house, clearly.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #112
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
And you've seen all this at his house, clearly.
I didnt call the city on him. Wtf?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #113
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You're the one sitting here claiming his house is an eyesore.

It could just as likely be a matching numbers GTO worth more than most cars coming off a dealership lot, but you have him painted that him and his beer swilling buddies are piecing out stolen cars in his garage with old rusted beaters on the lawn.

The hilarious thing is what your hangup is, has nothing to do with what bylaw called him on. If his 6 cars are registered to the house, he's allowed to work on them by the letter of the bylaw.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #114
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
^ You're the one sitting here claiming his house is an eyesore.

It could just as likely be a matching numbers GTO worth more than most cars coming off a dealership lot, but you have him painted that him and his beer swilling buddies are piecing out stolen cars in his garage with old rusted beaters on the lawn.

The hilarious thing is what your hangup is, has nothing to do with what bylaw called him on. If his 6 cars are registered to the house, he's allowed to work on them by the letter of the bylaw.
OMG. Dude himself said he has 6 cars in the driveway and he is doing engine rebuilds among other things.

Just read the thread before talking.

And i already said i didnt care about the law. Its legal for me to park in front of my neighbours house , but i dont do it. It's common courtesy. Somehow missed on a few here, that i assume are not home owners.

Last edited by Red; 06-16-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #115
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OMG. Dude himself said he has 6 cars in the driveway and he is doing engine rebuilds among other things.

And i already said i didnt care about the law. Its legal for me to park in front of my neighbours house , but i dont do it. It's common courtesy. Somehow missed on a few here, that i assume are not home owners.
You crack me up.

'they like working on cars. Probably can't afford to buy a house'
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #116
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And your a "the parking in front of my house is mine" guy.

You live in a city. Your money does not prevent others from enjoying their property within the lines of bylaws.

It's also odd you are okay with a backyard fire but not okay with auto maintenance. A backyard fire is far more invasive in terms of noise and air quality impact than the "chop shop" next door.

There is no bylaw that states you should be boring like your neighbour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #117
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got an address? if the guys reasonable I should bring my old work truck there
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #118
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And your a "the parking in front of my house is mine" guy.

You live in a city. Your money does not prevent others from enjoying their property within the lines of bylaws.

It's also odd you are okay with a backyard fire but not okay with auto maintenance. A backyard fire is far more invasive in terms of noise and air quality impact than the "chop shop" next door.

There is no bylaw that states you should be boring like your neighbour.
This isnt about invasive. It's about what it looks like. As in you know, is the grass cut timely, does he have an old washer and dryer on the porch? Camaro on blocks and on and on. Sure, technically "legal" but not something you see in a nice neighborhood.

Why do i really have to explain this? It's common knowledge.
But whatever, i offered my take. Thankfully I dont have this problem on my street.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #119
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just read the thread before talking
No. He said he works on up to six cars. He moves them In and out of his driveway and garage.

And yes. He said he’s doing engine rebuilds. You said he’s running a chop shop. Unless you have no idea what a chop shop actually is, that’s two extremely different than things.

I’d suggest you read the thread before talking, but you’re probably just better off not talking.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #120
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs

Quote:
Its legal for me to park in front of my neighbours house , but i dont do it. It's common courtesy.
No, it’s your own little weird hangup about how public roads and parking should work.

But hey, at least your potholes get filled first.

Or If you lived in a decent neighbourhood, you wouldn’t even have potholes that needed filling.