Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Vance Joy - Saddledome floor seat rules?

I'm sending my kid with a couple of friends to the Vance Joy concert. They all wanted floor tickets, so that's what I got. However, the tickets are kind of spread out. Not overly far, like a row or two ahead or behind, kind of thing.

At a concert like this, are the floor tickets such that, yeah you have assigned seating, however, move around as much as you want? Or are they all stuck apart during the concert? I don't know why we didn't insist on higher up, but together, seating in the first place.

Thanks
ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Generally you have assigned seats and stand up in front of them... I don’t think moving around is going to be an easy thing to do.

Except for odd cases where they don’t provide seats on the floor.... some hip-hop shows are like this but I don’t think that will be the case for Vance Joy.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they have assigned seats on the tickets they will be sitting away from each other.

If it says general admission (which I doubt since you claim you got seats apart) then its just standing.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If they have assigned seats on the tickets they will be sitting away from each other.

If it says general admission (which I doubt since you claim you got seats apart) then its just standing.
Yup exactly this. General admission would mean no seats and roam wherever you please on the floor.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Who is Vance Joy, and why are there seats on the floor?!
Seats do not belong on the floor at a concert...
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Who is Vance Joy, and why are there seats on the floor?!
Seats do not belong on the floor at a concert...
Essentially just place holders to keep the crowd spread on the floor. Want front row seats? Buy front row seats, show up normally, use the facilities normally, and have your place to stand and dance free all evening.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Generally you have assigned seats and stand up in front of them... I don’t think moving around is going to be an easy thing to do.

Except for odd cases where they don’t provide seats on the floor.... some hip-hop shows are like this but I don’t think that will be the case for Vance Joy.
I love how "some hip hop shows" is the example of "the odd cases where they don't provide seats on the floor", rather than.....almost every single rock concert ever. I think I've seen one concert at the Dome with seats on the floor.

Hell, even Neil Young in 2008 had general admission floor.

Really shows how much rock has died.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I love how "some hip hop shows" is the example of "the odd cases where they don't provide seats on the floor", rather than.....almost every single rock concert ever. I think I've seen one concert at the Dome with seats on the floor.

Hell, even Neil Young in 2008 had general admission floor.

Really shows how much rock has died.
Well I worked there for years so I attended tons of various concerts. General admission floor was normally for shows that had no business being in the saddle dome. Like Neil Young in 2008.... or Snoop dogg. Etc... people who don’t pull 19,000 seats through the door.

Brooks and Dunn.... Tragically Hip... pretty sure Springsteen all had seats on the floor. Garth Brooks in Edmonton...it’s standard.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
jayswin

Exp:

Neil Young in 2008 was sold out (13000) in 2008, and then 11000 in 2012. Foo Fighters in 2006 had 10000 with GA floor then sold out shows in 2012 and 2015 with GA floor, as did Billy Talent, 11000.

Maybe it's my taste in music but I've seen tons and tons of shows over the years with GA floor.

Your assertion that the only artists who have general admission floor are because they have no business playing there, aka the crowd is so small they just have an open floor doesn't really make any sense, and in the case of your Neil Young example, is definitely incorrect.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-19-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metallica, ACDC, SOAD

All sold out (Metallica multiple shows) all GA on the floor. Honestly I can't imagine those show with seats. I think GA is up to the artist/promoter. I know in recent years they are more worried about people up front getting crushed...back in the day that was half the fun.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Metallica, ACDC, SOAD

All sold out (Metallica multiple shows) all GA on the floor. Honestly I can't imagine those show with seats. I think GA is up to the artist/promoter. I know in recent years they are more worried about people up front getting crushed...back in the day that was half the fun.
Yeah, even more examples I hadn't thought of. But the reason for less GA isn't safety it's more money.

Artists have severely upped their game in terms of generating revenue in the last decade and being able to start at $200-500 a ticket in the first few rows for rich people and die hards who want a guaranteed awesome view and then progressively decline as you go back generates way more revenue than the $80-$120 most of these artists can get in general admission.

Crowds have never been safer, general admission or not, due to people in general just not doing much at shows anymore. Most shows, everyone just stands and watches, with a lot of filming going on.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Look at the Foo Fighters in 2015. This is an absolutely incredible intro and similar to the one in 2006 where the floor went absolutely crazy with mosh pits and everyone jumping up and down and all that. Not so much here.

This is what a lot of modern day rock shows look like. Some screaming at specific times and then everyone just stands and listens. Not much to worry to about in terms of security.

Keep in mind this is literally the beginning of the show, where everyone is usually at their craziest.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-19-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Don’t start me on the cell phone filming. Can’t stand it. It will never be as good as what you are experiencing right now live... put the phone away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw Rush at the dome and there were seats on the floor. All depends on the music and the artist. There's no way Metallica, Lamb of God, or bands like that would have seats on the floor.

I assume Vance Joy is sit down type music?
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #15
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've seen Vance Joy twice at Coachella - it's certainly a sit down show. Both times I've seen him, I'm pretty sure he didn't even get off his stool with his guitar during the show.

It's super laid back and chill.
username is offline   Reply With Quote