Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #14161
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see any chance the Flames will buy out Brouwer this season.

Flames would be on the hook for 4 seasons

Most likely this could occur next summer in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #14162
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

do it do it do it do it do it

Last edited by Toonage; 06-15-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #14163
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I've made this point earlier but if he is in the tram there is going to be pressure to play him, and he will be a distraction as well as a team management obstacle.

He's not a warm enough body to justify keeping him around. He messes up line combinations, minutes and team leadership structure. The flames need more foot soldiers.
a. If he's a huge distraction, sit him, or as he's only got a NTC, not a NMC, he could be sent down.

b. IMO he's a warm enough body to play on the 4th line, and he's still useful in some situations. If you look at game threads you will see plenty of posts about how Brouwer is "surprisingly" doing well that game. He just shouldn't be on the first PP unit, or teamed with Stajan (which won't happen for obvious reasons) on a PK.

c. As for leadership, both you and I really don't know the dynamic in the room, unless you aren't sharing something. In fact, I've heard stuff about other players that I can't and won't share that I could say impact the "leadership structure" but I'm not going to throw that stuff in the mix because I can't confirm it. Bottom line is that, for all we know, Brouwer is great in the room. Everyone says "make Backlund an A", but what if he doesn't want it, if he's not a leadership type despite being a consistent performer, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #14164
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I don't see any chance the Flames will buy out Brouwer this season.

Flames would be on the hook for 4 seasons

Most likely this could occur next summer in my opinion.
I would say the opportunity to free up 3 million in cap space for the next 2 seasons makes more sense. With a potential cap of 82 million and the additional 3 from the buyout the Flames would have 22 million available.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #14165
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
I would say the opportunity to free up 3 million in cap space for the next 2 seasons makes more sense. With a potential cap of 82 million and the additional 3 from the buyout the Flames would have 22 million available.
Like I said, if they need that space they can do it. however, they can do most of the moves that have been discussed without spending the extra money in a buyout. If they do it, it's time to get excited about the higher priced talent available.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #14166
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Like I said, if they need that space they can do it. however, they can do most of the moves that have been discussed without spending the extra money in a buyout. If they do it, it's time to get excited about the higher priced talent available.
The other move as a happy medium is try and move him at 50% retained.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #14167
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
The other move as a happy medium is try and move him at 50% retained.
That's a better move, depending on the return. Even a late pick is better.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #14168
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Chris Johnston reporting that it appears more and more likely the islanders will re-sign Tavares
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #14169
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Chris Johnston reporting that it appears more and more likely the islanders will re-sign Tavares
As much as I would want Tavares, I would be happy for Islanders fans. It's probably super discouraging to lose a player of that caliber. For example, imagine if we were about to lose Gaudreau or Monahan to FA.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #14170
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm not sure anyone wants Brouwer even at half price. There's a lot of players who can deliver more than he can at 2.25 mill a season. Flames might have to part with another asset on top of that and not expect to get anything back in return.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #14171
Toonage

Exp:

Re: Tavares
He made it so close to FA. Why not wait a week and see whats there? I mean, I do get why he would re-sign, but you'd think there would be some curiosity.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #14172
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tavares should at least wait until the courting period shouldn't he? He has absolutely nothing to lose now listening to other teams, unless he's worried about stepping off the curb and getting hit by a bus in the next 2 weeks.

Islanders have the extra year in their pocket, which is a huge advantage, but if he re-signs there I will still be amazed. That gong show has pissed away the first 10 years of his career, and it's not like they are a legit contender the way Tampa was last off season with Stamkos. Plus Tampa had tax advantages in their back pocket too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #14173
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah, you've come this long and you might still sign there, but I'd at least hear what other people are saying...
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #14174
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would be interesting to hear Lou's pitch.

It's got to be something along the lines of admitting they've been losers running the franchise into the ground with strange decisions for years... but we fired everyone John. For you.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #14175
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Call me crazy but the I think the Isles are one big piece away from being a contender. They're lacking a stud d man. I'm not familiar with their cap situation but if they could get their hands on a good all around #1 guy, they would be a force to be reckoned with.

They have a lot of talent up front. Barzal looks like another franchise center and a lot of Isles fans think he's surpassed Tavares offensively already as a rookie.

They apparently have a goalie phenom coming up in Ilya Sorokin, although he's stuck in Russia for now.

They could be a great team if Lou has some tricks up his sleeve.

ps- I'm fully aware the difficulty of the task of getting your hands on a great defenseman.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #14176
Toonage

Exp:

They might be a few pieces away, but they don't have them now and thats what Tavares should be looking at. Lou can promise him whatever but until he has it, he has nothing.

We'll get Grubauer! That can't possible sway Tavares.
We'll go after AV to coach us! Fine, but you haven't hired him yet.

Tavares has heard nothing but promises I would imagine for the last decade. Why not listen to teams that have those pieces in place already?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #14177
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Would be interesting to hear Lou's pitch.

It's got to be something along the lines of admitting they've been losers running the franchise into the ground with strange decisions for years... but we fired everyone John. For you.
I picture something more along the lines of:

Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #14178
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tavares likes NY, so if they meet his price I don't see much of an issue. I think the hiring of Lou goes a long way to convincing him of any lack of stability in the org. I imagine Trotz might be a consideration as coach.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #14179
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
They might be a few pieces away, but they don't have them now and thats what Tavares should be looking at. Lou can promise him whatever but until he has it, he has nothing.

We'll get Grubauer! That can't possible sway Tavares.
We'll go after AV to coach us! Fine, but you haven't hired him yet.

Tavares has heard nothing but promises I would imagine for the last decade. Why not listen to teams that have those pieces in place already?
So you are saying he shouldn't talk to the Flames then because we are in the exact same boat.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #14180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So you are saying he shouldn't talk to the Flames then because we are in the exact same boat.
Nah, we're not.

The Flames were an 84 point team without Tavares, and with Monahan broken for half a season, plus no Tkachuk or Brodie for the last 3rd of the season.

The Isles were an 80 point team with Tavares.

Also, the Isles are losing two of their top 6 d to free agency, the Flames have all their D locked up. Plus the Flames have Smith signed, the Isles #1 goalie who started the most games for them and posted the best numbers out of their 3 goalies is also a UFA.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 06-15-2018 at 11:22 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread