Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #13361
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He can't sign an 8 year deal if he waits until July 1. If he wants to stay with the Islanders, and wants to sign for 8 years, he needs to sign before July 1.

He can go to the courting period, listen to what other teams are offering, and if he wants to stay on the Island, he still has the option of signing before the end of the month, just like his buddy Stamkos did.
So essentially if he's unsigned by July 1st that means he's done with the Islanders. I realize there are a few western teams that can take a run but being an eastern boy I'm not so sure he's going to be keen to come out to the other side of the continent. How many eastern teams can take a serious run at him outside of the Rangers?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #13362
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo will all be knocking on his door.

I still wonder if Lou doesn’t get the sense he will sign if they work out a sign and trade with another team so Tavares gets 8 years and the Islanders are not left with absolutely nothing. Obviously the assets wouldn’t be massive going to the Islanders but if it is Toronto for instance maybe a first plus prospect?

The Flames it could be Janko+Fox?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #13363
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How many eastern teams can take a serious run at him outside of the Rangers?
The Devils.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #13364
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also say the Panthers might make an offer. Loads of cap space and they have the Florida tax advantage on their side.

Also, Stevie Y is never afraid to make a big splash either, although he would also need to make some other big moves for cap reasons.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #13365
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So essentially if he's unsigned by July 1st that means he's done with the Islanders. I realize there are a few western teams that can take a run but being an eastern boy I'm not so sure he's going to be keen to come out to the other side of the continent. How many eastern teams can take a serious run at him outside of the Rangers?
Which Eastern teams wouldn't take a serious run at him? What's a serious run? 10M+ (less if in Florida)? But let's say that Pittsburgh wouldn't, they already have Crosby and Malkin. Washington's forward situation is pretty top heavy with Ovechkin, Kuznetzov, Backstrom and Oshie. Probably more concerned about re-signing/replacing Carlson. Flyers have a lot tied up in Giroux and Voracek, with Simmonds needing a new contract soon. Ottawa's a mess. So those four are least likely, in my opinion.

Tampa has the issue of having to sign Kucherov but they have a ton of cap flexibility in the next couple years. Outside of Stamkos and Hedman, they have Palat, Killorn and Johnson signed more than two years. I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate if they could sign Tavares to a matching contract with Stamkos, even if it meant moving Johnson.

Florida's team is almost all signed and they have around 12M to fiddle around with if they wanted to be a cap team.

Columbus has a bazillion cap space and no one of note to re-sign, since Johnson has to chase the money elsewhere. Montreal's in a similar position. Detroit's not unsimilar. New Jersey would love to get Tavares, and maybe playing with someone like Hall instead of chump winger #1 and #2 might be enticing to Tavares. Those four probably aren't the favourites to sign him, but all would love to and likely do make a serious offer if there's any indication he would sign there.

Toronto has a lot of core forwards to sign in the next couple years, but signing Tavares would just mean trading Nylander/Marner for defensive help.

If Tavares just wanted the highest cap, maybe Carolina makes sense as a new owner looking to make a splash and with a ton of cap space but realistically that's just not a great team going forward.

Buffalo I've talked about as a destination before.

Boston's probably another long shot. If they could get Backes off the books, they might be viable, but right now just too close to the cap and a good enough team that they might not be willing to risk as much as the other teams.

But really it's not about the teams taking a serious run at him, it's about him considering them. He's the type of player that never comes around in UFA. Remember when Brad Richards had GMs lining up waiting to talk to him outside his agency? He was 31 at the time. A 27 year old franchise center would have every team taking a run at him and then working on cap space and team dynamics after signing him.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #13366
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo will all be knocking on his door.

I still wonder if Lou doesn’t get the sense he will sign if they work out a sign and trade with another team so Tavares gets 8 years and the Islanders are not left with absolutely nothing. Obviously the assets wouldn’t be massive going to the Islanders but if it is Toronto for instance maybe a first plus prospect?

The Flames it could be Janko+Fox?
There is really no benefit to doing this than adding 1 year to the end of the contract... I personally don’t see how that has any trade value. Might as well add him for nothing.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #13367
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still wonder if Lou doesn’t get the sense he will sign if they work out a sign and trade with another team so Tavares gets 8 years and the Islanders are not left with absolutely nothing. ?
CBA requires the team to have his rights at the most recent trade deadline to sign him to 8 years. I.E. only the Islanders can sign him to 8 years, and it would have to be before he officially becomes a UFA.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #13368
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
There is really no benefit to doing this than adding 1 year to the end of the contract... I personally don’t see how that has any trade value. Might as well add him for nothing.
It's a moot point, as it's impossible. But the benefit would be signing Tavares for the team that made the deal. Tavares getting 8 years. And the Islanders getting an asset. It would be a perfect example of a win-win-win.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #13369
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
CBA requires the team to have his rights at the most recent trade deadline to sign him to 8 years. I.E. only the Islanders can sign him to 8 years, and it would have to be before he officially becomes a UFA.
Understood which is what I was saying. Islanders sign him to 8 years prior to July 1 and trade him to the team he wants to go to.

I doubt Tavares does this but he could theoretically tell Lou that he has decided to move on and he would be okay going to one of 2-3 destinations and if Lou can make a deal with one of those teams he would do a sign and trade so he still gets the 8 year deal and the islanders recoup something in return.

These moves happen in basketball all the time but their cap system is a lot more complicated than the NHL.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #13370
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hence the term, sign and trade.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #13371
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

No guys, the team needs to have his rights at the the most recent trade deadline. That was the Islanders. It doesn't matter if they trade him today, no other team could sign him to 8 years.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #13372
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Here are the benefits I see

1. Tavares gets the max term and money he wants
2. The Islanders get a little something in return
3. The team acquiring him gets assurance prior to July 1 they get the top free agent to leave his team in recent memory.

If it is reported that he only will go to the Leafs there is less incentive for Toronto to give up an asset to get Tavares. If there are rumors he is interested in Toronto, Calgary, St.Louis, San Jose, and the Rangers then one of those teams could step up and try and lock it in even if they give up a fairly valuable asset to do it.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #13373
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The following practices also shall not be permitted under this Agreement and may
not be included in any SPC, nor otherwise agreed to by any Club, any person or any entity:

An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however,
that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8)
years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the
most recent Trade Deadline.
With respect to potential Unrestricted Free
Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years
expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With
respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club
may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years
provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted
Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #13374
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No guys, the team needs to have his rights at the the most recent trade deadline. That was the Islanders. It doesn't matter if they trade him today, no other team could sign him to 8 years.
I think you are wrong here.

Here is the breakdown

1. He signs an 8 year $88M deal with the Islanders
2. Calgary then trades Adam Fox and Mark Jankowski to the Islanders for Tavares (who is now locked in for 8 years as he signed that deal with NY)

This deal was done on the knowledge that Tavares was leaving so when the Islanders signed him to that contract it was with knowledge they had to trade him.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #13375
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Understood which is what I was saying. Islanders sign him to 8 years prior to July 1 and trade him to the team he wants to go to.

I doubt Tavares does this but he could theoretically tell Lou that he has decided to move on and he would be okay going to one of 2-3 destinations and if Lou can make a deal with one of those teams he would do a sign and trade so he still gets the 8 year deal and the islanders recoup something in return.

These moves happen in basketball all the time but their cap system is a lot more complicated than the NHL.
I'm not sure why Taveras would want to weaken the team he's going to.

Plus why would he ever say "I'm fine going to 2-3 destinations"? You do that at the trade deadline, because a couple month. Not when you are a UFA.

It happens in basketball because teams that own a player can do vastly different things that other teams cannot due in terms of salary cap etc. In hockey, it's offer one additional year only.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #13376
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, yeah misread, you're right. My bad.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #13377
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #13378
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I'm not sure why Taveras would want to weaken the team he's going to.

Plus why would he ever say "I'm fine going to 2-3 destinations"? You do that at the trade deadline, because a couple month. Not when you are a UFA.

It happens in basketball because teams that own a player can do vastly different things that other teams cannot due in terms of salary cap etc. In hockey, it's offer one additional year only.
Yeah to be honest it is extremely unlikely. We just hear about how Tavares is such a good guy etc I could see him feeling better about leaving the Island knowing they are getting something in return.

In the case of Calgary if the asset they give up is Fox that is not weakening the current team.

Really it is an additional $10-$11M to Tavares which is not to be discounted.

If word comes out at the draft that Tavares is leaving I could see teams engaging the Islanders on a deal.

Furthermore if the Islanders are willing to take a big salary back in a trade then it could bring several teams in the mix.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #13379
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know we are deep on d but any takers for Manning on D to give McDavid fits? No issues in giving Manning Kulak’s spot as Kulak is not a difference maker and doesn’t bring the intangibles that Manning would being. Kid wants to come home to western Canada.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...s-part-2%3Famp
Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #13380
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random thought while I was listening to the Fan on the drive to work today...
Could the Islanders offer sheet a goalie? They have the picks and the cap space. Could that be enough to keep JT on the island?
Closed Thread