Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #161
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
If it were easy then someone would have posted it already.
Someone did and deleted it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #162
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where are them hot looking hondas? Rust free and all? This can't be the OP's house. He said that he took care of it, no oil stains nor any junkers outside.

And I am the snobby a-hole....LOL

Love the van BTW, matching numbers and all and it surely is woth $275. Just the vehicle to rejuvenate a neighbourhood.
The oil stains are bad in that picture but if you are offended with a 10-15 year old vehicle with some rust on your street than yes you are being snobby.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #163
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The oil stains are bad in that picture but if you are offended with a 10-15 year old vehicle with some rust on your street than yes you are being snobby.
Well, no, my issue was much more than that. I saw a car on blocks in the driveway between the two rust buckets.

I am not that snobby, but I do appreciate my neighbour that parks his old rusted truck in the back alley. I never asked him to do it but he does it anyways. Maybe he is just a nice guy. I would do the same if I had a vehicle like that. Out of respect for my neighbours.

So am I a good neighbour or bad? I got labelled nosy here. Self proclaimed snob. Whatever. I am pretty sure my neighbours like me just as much as I like them. We have similar values.

I would not be a good fit living next to the house pictured. Those people would call me many names and I would be ok with it. Just not a fan of a mess.

For the record, that Toyota van is pushing 30, not 10.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #164
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

I'll be honest with you guys. If your looking for oil stained driveways or old beat up cars parked outside you'll never get even close to guessing which house.
bensonchuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 AM   #165
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

TL;DR - Some of the snobbery in this thread is ridiculous, especially with the BS assumptions being made.

I know OP because I saw his post on social media. OP isn't doing anything out of the ordinary to get dinged. He would be at least an average neighbor on any of your streets. IMO he self implicated by stating he does work for his uncle and got a ticket.

There's also someone in OP's area in the Hamptons that likes wandering around and calling bylaw officers on random homes every few weeks. I have other friends who live by OP who have gotten visits from bylaw officers to confirm there essentially is no wrong doing to report back to whoever is making calls in the event the person calls bylaw back wanting to know if they followed up. I have other friends a few streets from OP whose families have been getting visits from bylaw officers about different calls every few years going back at least 10-15 years.

Full post:
Spoiler!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #166
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it were easy then someone would have posted it already.
I'm thinking people are just being decent and not putting the guys home out on the net.
outing real life stuff seems a bit over the line.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #167
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey OP, did you get a development permit to widen your driveway?

Even the City acknowledges that having a paved front yard is ugly.

Quote:
Paved front yards can negatively impact your neighbourhood’s appearance, safety, street parking, stormwater drainage and more.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #168
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious, if he was to do both extensions with that interlocking brick does it count as paving?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #169
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm curious, if he was to do both extensions with that interlocking brick does it count as paving?
I can field that one...the city does not allow permanent driveway expansion, for the most part. They consider permanent asphalt and concrete(and possibly other types, not sure). Brick is ok as it is considered removable, as that is what I had to do when I actually followed procedure and inquired what I was allowed to do before doing it. I'm not sure I follow their logic on the classifications, but that is what they say.

I'm actually a little surprised at this point that the city hasn't told all concrete companies not to do these expansions unless they have a permit. The city has a right to control this becuase driveways all cross public land.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #170
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I call baloney on room for 4 cars in the driveway and 2 in the garage. Obviously there are tools and probably other stuff in there, and there is no way there would be room to work on a car with another parked in there.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 06-19-2018 at 08:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #171
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What, you don't do your engine rebuilds with 2 cars in a 20x22 foot garage? It's easy! Just stack 'em!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #172
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What, you don't do your engine rebuilds with 2 cars in a 20x22 foot garage? It's easy! Just stack 'em!
No stupid, I take mine to the Hamptons to get worked on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #173
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also I call baloney on room for 4 cars in the driveway and 2 in the garage. Obviously there are tools and probably other stuff in there, and there is no way there would be room to work on a car with another parked in there.
When you see how close they park them on their double expanded driveway, its a wonder anyone can even get out of their car.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #174
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Quote:
It's call organization. I have plenty of room to work in my garage filled with two cars.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #175
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For those not familiar with engine heads. A 4 cylinder has 1 head and it's about the size of two phone books. And everything you disassemble to get to it, fits nicely in the trunk of the car. A V6 has 2 heads so you do one at a time.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #176
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
It's call organization. I have plenty of room to work in my garage filled with two cars.
When you come to a site looking for sympathy for a bylaw that you admit you violated people are going to have to make assumptions based off what they know. We don't know you, we have the minimal amount of information possible so we fill in the gaps.

Based off most standard size front garages - with 2 cars, stairs to the entrance, tools, possibly some storage there would be very little room to get into a car let alone work on one. Hence my doubt.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #177
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Driveway expansion & paving stones: I thought the bylaw restricted hard parking surfaces, not the physical material? (ie paving stones would still be a nono on your entire frontage
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #178
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow the quick to judge mentality in this thread is off the charts.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #179
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Re: Driveway expansion & paving stones: I thought the bylaw restricted hard parking surfaces, not the physical material? (ie paving stones would still be a nono on your entire frontage
That's not what the city told me when I contacted them. I checked my old email, but I guess I had spoke to him on the phone so I don't have a written record. He said paving stones are fine. This was in 2015.