Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #401
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It would be super easy for me to come here and to throw water based on the above mentioned injuries, but, there's also a lot to be said about how the Flames responded in the last 2 games from a really bad game 2. Tkachuk, as much as I hate him and players like him, is a pain in the ass other teams will have to deal with, and he plays with high intensity and has a lot of skill that pests normally don't have. You can only beat the teams put in front of you and the Flames did that.

Sure, fair, but the bottom line is that after game two, the Flames seemed to find another gear and level of determination, and pretty much kicked the Jets asses.

I would be more worried if this was even or the last two games were close, but they really weren't. At the end of the day the Flames did what you do to a wounded or weak team, you snap their next, shove the body in the ditch, coat it literally with lime and move on. Which was exactly what the Flames did.

So yeah, we can be cautious but I hear a lot of, the Flames are garbage and beat a garbage team and won't stand a chance in the next round against a real hockey team.

Fine fantstico, lamo, I like the Flames level of determination, their physical play, and the buy in on Wards system.

I'm cautiously optimistic, that if the so called real teams don't see what we've seen, that they'll be getting the Flames post card from the bubble after the next round. "Having a great time, wish you were here".

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #402
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The teams that look most likely to me are St Louis and Dallas. Hard to tell though. If Arizona wins their game today it's almost guaranteed the Flames won't be playing Colorado
No team scares me.

Only Nathan MacKinnon scares me.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #403
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard the Lucic sound clip about being challenged to fight to start the game. "F'n right, Let's go". That needs to be a t-shirt.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #404
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I dunno, I think McDavid has ruined “let’s go” for me forever.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #405
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you watch some if the Calgary Flames TV interviews with Stajan, you see how much the guys love Staj, and gives you an idea of how much he meant in that room. Always big smiles when they see him.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #406
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rink rust is going to be a huge factor in the early rounds. Going into the playoffs I knew that some teams were really going to find themselves in the qualifying round and are going to come out healthy and dangerous. Hopefully the flames catch a team still shaking off the cobwebs in the next round.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #407
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Good coaches know they gotta let the Mustangs run even if they stumble a little bit. Every sport has its cases.

Throw an interception in the biggest game of your career? Get back out there.
That reminds me of something I think it was Treliving said (although it also sound like something Hartley may have come up with too) when asked about Sam's tendency to take penalties: "You'd rather need to sometimes rein in a thoroughbred than whip a donkey."
Old 08-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #408
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If you watch some if the Calgary Flames TV interviews with Stajan, you see how much the guys love Staj, and gives you an idea of how much he meant in that room. Always big smiles when they see him.
He is such a genuine good guy. So sincere.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #409
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
"Let's Go" is something 10 years on Fortnite say when something good happens.

10 year olds and Oilers players, that is.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #410
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
"Let's Go" is something 10 years on Fortnite say when something good happens.

10 year olds and Oilers players, that is.
And when you're accepting/asking for a fight since forever.

Or when literally every fanbase sees "Let's Go ____" on the jumbotron.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #411
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Here's where every team could end up in the rankings pending this weekend's results:
1. Colorado/Vegas
2. Vegas/Colorado
3. St. Louis/Dallas
4. Dallas/St. Louis
5. Edmonton/Nashville/Vancouver/Calgary
6. Nashville/Vancouver/Calgary/Minnesota
7. Vancouver/Calgary/Minnesota/Arizona
8. Calgary/Minnesota/Arizona/Chicago
nm. I read it wrong.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #412
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
One is a “Let’s go somewhere!” and McDavid’s is a “Let’s go home (sad face)”.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #413
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It would be super easy for me to come here and to throw water based on the above mentioned injuries, but, there's also a lot to be said about how the Flames responded in the last 2 games from a really bad game 2. Tkachuk, as much as I hate him and players like him, is a pain in the ass other teams will have to deal with, and he plays with high intensity and has a lot of skill that pests normally don't have. You can only beat the teams put in front of you and the Flames did that.
IMO you get a lot of leash for talking trash when you own up to the end result like this.

And have to tell you I’m a lot bigger Laine fan than I was before, now that I know where his basketball allegiance lays.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #414
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Spoiler!

Boy oh boy that was great! Was impressed by everyone on the team almost the entire series. It starts in net and the decision to start Cambot was obviously the right one. Calm and cool in net. No weak goals. Some highlight saves when needed. What a season he's having and hopefully for a while longer. Feels so damn good to not worry with time left in the game and the Jets pressing. Talbot was a brick wall from start to finish.

I'm also sorry for every doubting Bennett and wanting to trade him. As other have said, playoff Bennett is absolutely a thing . He might leave you wanting more in the regular season, but he's proven time and time again he saves it for when it matters. Lock him up longterm please and thank you!

Loved how the top 3 lines came in waves. Ever since the Detroit teams used to come in waves at you during the 2000s, I've always dreamed of having a Flames team being able to do the same. It feels like a 1-2-3 punch. Nice to see.

The D has looked great too. The Flames absolutely MUST find a way to keep Brodie. I think it's more then obvious that the GG years were the outliers and not his norm. Brodie was trending upwards before those years and he's picked up where he left off once GG left. He can skate against anybody in the league and is so dynamic when he's on. His skillset will keep him playing well into his late 30s. Flames will regret losing him, so please BT find a way to keep him!

The list goes on of players that stepped up. It's going to get a lot harder next series but I am cautiously optimistic the Flames can play any style regardless of the opponent.

Boy do I agree with this. He will be sorely missed if he does not come back.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #415
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just opened up Facebook to see my good buddy Frankie MacDonald spreading the good word for all to hear:

https://www.facebook.com/507886244/p...5/?d=null&vh=i

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #416
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Boy do I agree with this. He will be sorely missed if he does not come back.
I think the Flames will go hard after Hall and if they decide to keep Johnny as well, they will probably wait out for the best value signing of right side defenseman.

I bet Brodie is at the top of the list, but if commands too much on the open market, the Flames may have to settle for other guys.

I'm guessing they have their eyes on the following for the right side and it will depend on cap match:

Brodie
Barrie
Krug
Schultz
Tanev
Vatanen
Demelo
Hamonic
Gudas
Gustaffsson

If they can get Gustaffsson in the $2 to $2.5 million range, I think that might be the way to go. Play him with Gio on the "second pair", give him the powerplay 1 and hope that Valimaki ,Kylington and Mackay continue to develop to push him out of the second pairing.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #417
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If they can get Gustaffsson in the $2 to $2.5 million range, I think that might be the way to go. Play him with Gio on the "second pair", give him the powerplay 1 and hope that Valimaki ,Kylington and Mackay continue to develop to push him out of the second pairing.
I'm just not sure what to make of Gustafsson quite yet. Not that he's been bad or anything, and in fact he brings a unique skill to the defense this team has been missing since trading Hamilton. I simply get a really strong Anton Babchuk/Michael Stone vibe from the guy where we would very quickly regret re-signing him once he loses the one thing he brings to the table.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #418
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I'm just not sure what to make of Gustafsson quite yet. Not that he's been bad or anything, and in fact he brings a unique skill to the defense this team has been missing since trading Hamilton. I simply get a really strong Anton Babchuk/Michael Stone vibe from the guy where we would very quickly regret re-signing him once he loses the one thing he brings to the table.
Couldn't agree more.
He sure can't skate like Brodie.
Flames need to develop this player internally.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #419
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I expect both him and Forbort to be very affordable players, and thus pretty low-risk.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #420
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Hey Edmonton thanks for handing us Talbot you losers!
I wore my jersey in to work today, man were the guys sour. And I did thank them for letting Talbot go.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote