Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #321
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Jets and their media weren't crying when big Buff was taking out guys half his size...I can't even...its a hit in a playoff game

"Flames are soft"
"Flames hit too hard"

Lol What the actual F
Man, the jets sure could use big Buff in a series like this. Their toughness level dropped in magnitudes without him in the lineup.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #322
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Man, the jets sure could use big Buff in a series like this. Their toughness level dropped in magnitudes without him in the lineup.
Buff, Trouba and Myers. All massive Dmen who play with an edge.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #323
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
It’s much better to be labelled a “dirty” team rather than a soft team. Opponents will play us more cautiously now and not bully us around.
Even though I really don't like us being called dirty, I agree with your point.

The downside is the opposition might think they have to respond with dirty play, and that might injure our players. But more likely it just distracts them and gives us powerplays.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #324
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
Changing the topic a bit, but on a whim I checked faceoff numbers for the play-in so far. Most faceoffs won? Not-a-#1-centre Sean Monahan. He's gone an excellent 60% in the dot so far. Along with his boring 4 points, I've noticed some pretty decent defensive plays, breaking up entry passes and supporting down low.

I know he's not a sexy player, (stylistically that is...) and almost everything about him screams "boring," but he's an effective player that does do little things well. It bothers me when he gets a rough ride on this board. Is he the top 5, elite NHL centre that we all dream of? Nope. Is he a solid #1 NHL centre? Absolutely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
My issue with Monahan and the top line is that they're not creating a damn thing five on five.

It's a really good sign that they've found their game defensively and are playing better five on five away from the puck. The issue is the offensive side.

Monahan for example has a xGA/60 of 1.37, which is stellar, he's third on the team.

But his xGF/60 is only 1.0, which is well behind every member of the second and third lines.

I'd like to think this is a step in the right direction. Quiet your zone, than start to learn how to counter on transition.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #325
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Even though I really don't like us being called dirty, I agree with your point.

The downside is the opposition might think they have to respond with dirty play, and that might injure our players. But more likely it just distracts them and gives us powerplays.
At least this is how I see the dilema.

Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.

Last edited by Flame On; 08-06-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #326
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames get through to the next round, how is it determined who they will play in the first best-of-seven round?

I do enjoy the play-in and seeding round, but don't totally understand how the match ups are being determined.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #327
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
If the Flames get through to the next round, how is it determined who they will play in the first best-of-seven round?

I do enjoy the play-in and seeding round, but don't totally understand how the match ups are being determined.
So the round robin is deciding who finishes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

At the conclusion of the qualifying round, the teams that make it through will be seeded 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th based on regular season point percentage.

1 will play 8
2 will play 7
3 will play 6
4 will play 5.

...I think. So if the Flames get through alongside Arizona and Chicago and say Vancouver, seeding will look like:

8 = Chicago
7 = Arizona
6 = Calgary
5 = Vancouver
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #328
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
My issue with Monahan and the top line is that they're not creating a damn thing five on five.
Yeah, I am pretty nervous that if we advance we will have issues 5v5
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #329
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
So the round robin is deciding who finishes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

At the conclusion of the qualifying round, the teams that make it through will be seeded 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th based on regular season point percentage.

1 will play 8
2 will play 7
3 will play 6
4 will play 5.

...I think. So if the Flames get through alongside Arizona and Chicago and say Vancouver, seeding will look like:

8 = Chicago
7 = Arizona
6 = Calgary
5 = Vancouver
It’s a bit of a contradiction that the regular season counts for the seeding from the play-in group, but not the top 4.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #330
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It’s a bit of a contradiction that the regular season counts for the seeding from the play-in group, but not the top 4.
So, how do you fix that? In my opinion, this was easily the most sensible method for seeding. The round-robin had to count for something, otherwise the teams would just be skating around for three games a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #331
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post

I’m mashing the hell out of the button on the right.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #332
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, how do you fix that? In my opinion, this was easily the most sensible method for seeding. The round-robin had to count for something, otherwise the teams would just be skating around for three games a piece.
I would have had the round robin count for nothing. If teams want to sleepwalk through them, they earned that right and if it bites them in the ass when the playoffs start, that's their problem.

It's pretty silly that Boston won the President's Trophy by a pretty wide margin and will be either the 3rd or 4th seed in the East because of 3 games.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #333
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard a proposal that suggested that the round robin teams would begin with points based on their regular season results, essentially reverse-handicapping the field. Seems a bit complicated but would reward the regular season results more.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #334
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

It's a really good sign that they've found their game defensively and are playing better five on five away from the puck. The issue is the offensive side.

Monahan for example has a xGA/60 of 1.37, which is stellar, he's third on the team.

But his xGF/60 is only 1.0, which is well behind every member of the second and third lines.

I'd like to think this is a step in the right direction. Quiet your zone, than start to learn how to counter on transition.
That's totally fair, and a good point.

That line does seem pretty muted on offense at the moment, and I'm really hoping that the powerplay success gets them motivated and moving on 5 on 5. We know they CAN do it; we've seen it in the past.

If they can build that 5 on 5 offense in this next game, then the outlook for our two top lines could be pretty rosy!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #335
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

siap Flames 50/50 is already above 630K
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #336
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post

Its always better to be hated than ridiculed and trolled.

You can never be a good or respectable club without drawing the ire of other fanbases.

Take it as a compliment. These fans are jelly. They call Tkachuk an awful human being but in truth they'd salivate to have him. They just hate the fact that they have to face him instead.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #337
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I would have had the round robin count for nothing. If teams want to sleepwalk through them, they earned that right and if it bites them in the ass when the playoffs start, that's their problem.

It's pretty silly that Boston won the President's Trophy by a pretty wide margin and will be either the 3rd or 4th seed in the East because of 3 games.

Well you could say the same thing about winning the President's Trophy at least a month prior to the end of the season and then losing 4 straight in the first round. (see: Tampa)

But it happened and it is what it is. At least Boston didn't have to do the play in round and will still be playing.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote