Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #41
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I wake up this morning to Theo Fleury still yammering more conspiracy bull#### and I'm pissed.

Some garbage about Fauci again, followed by a "It’s hilarious when people get triggered." tweet. I've stopped caring about the rough past he experienced lately - as he's demonstrated through this pandemic that he is a mongrel himself.

[Edit: bad joke didn't go well] - but are you guys also supporting this ####?

Can we PLEASE all agree that we're finally done with 14?

It's December, and we still have to tolerate this ####.
Twitter is a cesspool, Facebook has become a cesspool, Linkedin is a cesspool.

In fact I can't name one social media site that isn't a cesspool.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #42
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Drink!

Edit: can't put you on ignore, baby, I like you too much
Ef me. Two guffaws in about five minutes. Well played sir! Set the trap, lay in wait, and BAM you got yourself a cliffy. Bravo

I just can't quit you guys.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #43
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of what he is tweeting, I’ll hand it to him for tweeting under his real name, which is a far cry from what the majority of folks (including me) do on Twitter
Old 12-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #44
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I dunno, did you try googling him? Was he yours?
No. You see, perhaps you missed the point I was trying to make. It is quite possible I did not make the point as well as I may have. You said "he" was your favourite player growing up. The thread is about Theo, clearly, so I juxtaposed the clear intent of your post into an implied affection for a player that is universally despised, in Calgary for sure, but throughout the entire NHL. The intent was to play upon the fact that you are a BC'er and a (possibly, I believe but don't have a categorical history of all posters here like some, fist bump Squiggs!!) a Canucks fan that lingers here. Thus implying that your favourite player is in fact a despicable person. Thus the circle is complete as Theo is now demonstrating, off ice, the personality that Burrows perpetuated, with more hair pulling, biting and hitting from behind, for sure, on ice.

It was intended as an affectionate, lighthearted, ribbing in the style reserved for those posters with most favoured status. If it perhaps missed its mark, or more concernedly, hit the mark harder and deeper than I could have ever meant, I am truly sorry.

However, kudos for the "I know you are but what am I" retort. Truly to the point and biting.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #45
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theo was my hero as a kid. I met him once at a wedding I was working after he had retired, and I had a great chat with him about his career. Super nice guy.

But yeesh...c'mon Theo, what the hell. Dude has completely lost the plot. It's embarrassing. I honestly had no idea he was into all this conspiracy/Trump nonsense.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #46
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I wear #14 for Fleury and I am starting to regret that decision. Are there any other good #14s I can glom onto?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #47
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
This will not go over well, given the subject.

However, I did literally, laugh out loud. I am dark that way. A bit homophobic, a lot tone deaf about sexual abuse of men. Dam, I still laughed.
I have no idea who the op is or how they identify sexually. I just assumed they were in close proximity and in a position where they had to listen to Fleury rant first thing this morning.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #48
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
No. You see, perhaps you missed the point I was trying to make. It is quite possible I did not make the point as well as I may have. You said "he" was your favourite player growing up. The thread is about Theo, clearly, so I juxtaposed the clear intent of your post into an implied affection for a player that is universally despised, in Calgary for sure, but throughout the entire NHL. The intent was to play upon the fact that you are a BC'er and a (possibly, I believe but don't have a categorical history of all posters here like some, fist bump Squiggs!!) a Canucks fan that lingers here. Thus implying that your favourite player is in fact a despicable person. Thus the circle is complete as Theo is now demonstrating, off ice, the personality that Burrows perpetuated, with more hair pulling, biting and hitting from behind, for sure, on ice.

It was intended as an affectionate, lighthearted, ribbing in the style reserved for those posters with most favoured status. If it perhaps missed its mark, or more concernedly, hit the mark harder and deeper than I could have ever meant, I am truly sorry.

However, kudos for the "I know you are but what am I" retort. Truly to the point and biting.

Ah, so the joke was so funny you had to explain it. Got it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I wear #14 for Fleury and I am starting to regret that decision. Are there any other good #14s I can glom onto?
The Magic Man!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #50
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this is reminiscent of how a lot of people were shocked by Rudy Giuliani's behavior the past little while, because their previous memory of him was 9/11 hero. obviously not saying Rudy and Theo are anything like each other, but the person they're showing themselves as now is the person they have always been. most of us just weren't paying attention while they weren't handed a spotlight and megaphone.

aside from burnt bridges with current Flames ownership/management, this is why they can't raise his number based solely on his hockey career. a retired jersey (or a Forever a Flame) is an ambassador of the organization and needs to represent its values, or the very least not outright contradict them. Theo has yet to meet that bar...it's not impossible that he turns his point of view around one day and finally gets to ascend, but I won't be betting any money on it sadly.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #51
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Are there any other good #14s I can glom onto?

Geoff Courtnall!

https://youtu.be/VFkKeH4cxN4?t=7

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #52
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
this is reminiscent of how a lot of people were shocked by Rudy Giuliani's behavior the past little while, because their previous memory of him was 9/11 hero. obviously not saying Rudy and Theo are anything like each other, but the person they're showing themselves as now is the person they have always been. most of us just weren't paying attention while they weren't handed a spotlight and megaphone.

aside from burnt bridges with current Flames ownership/management, this is why they can't raise his number based solely on his hockey career. a retired jersey (or a Forever a Flame) is an ambassador of the organization and needs to represent its values, or the very least not outright contradict them. Theo has yet to meet that bar...it's not impossible that he turns his point of view around one day and finally gets to ascend, but I won't be betting any money on it sadly.
I appreciate this post. Excellent explanation here about the prestige that comes with the honor of having your number retired. The player doesn't have to be a saint but they should at least be someone that young fans can look up to.

EDIT: I say this as someone who was a harsh critic of the organization for not honoring him earlier. I now stand corrected and think they definitely knew something that we didn't. It is a shame.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #53
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

At the very least you can't use your position within the franchise as a platform to spout your political agenda. Sports franchises work very hard to be apolitical, and only take a stance when they absolutely are forced to ( ie BLM).

Fleury has every right to share his beliefs, freedom of speech should exist, that said no one is free from the consequences of their words.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #54
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The cool thing about the internets is that you can just not engage. Don’t like some crazy statements? Stop reading it.

Who gives a #### what someone else is spouting off on.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #55
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The cool thing about the internets is that you can just not engage. Don’t like some crazy statements? Stop reading it.

I give a #### when people have a gigantic platform to spout nonsense and influence others negatively. When people have dangerous and stupid opinions they deserve to be called out on them.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #56
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

Maybe you are a newer fan, but Theo was a god to many people around here, especially in the millennial age range.

To see his redemption story unfold, only for him to turn into this kinda guy is sad to a lot of people. Including me.

My Theo poster is still at my parents place.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #57
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Ah, so the joke was so funny you had to explain it. Got it.

Well, actually he didn't have to explain it. But when he was forced to his explanation was even more hilarious.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #58
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am Vancouver born and raised. Fleury was the only reason I became a Flames fan. I am a small guy just like him. I could have easily fallen for Ronning and became a Canucks fan *shudder* I guess I can thank Fleury for dodging that bullet.

Outside of that, I am embarrassed by his statements lately. My opinion started to turn after he trashed the organization after getting cut. It sucks when your hero turns out to be so fundamentally different from yourself. Not the only person I idolized growing up that turned out to be an idiot.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacem For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #59
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
I am Vancouver born and raised. Fleury was the only reason I became a Flames fan. I am a small guy just like him. I could have easily fallen for Ronning and became a Canucks fan *shudder* I guess I can thank Fleury for dodging that bullet.

Outside of that, I am embarrassed by his statements lately. My opinion started to turn after he trashed the organization after getting cut. It sucks when your hero turns out to be so fundamentally different from yourself. Not the only person I idolized growing up that turned out to be an idiot.
I was pretty disappointed when he got cut when he tried to make his swan song comeback. He seemed to actually have a decent camp. I have come to understand the bigger picture reasons of course, but at the time it kind of sucked.

I agree that he should have been more humble about it. Just inviting him to camp allowed him to retire as an active player which was more than any other team was willing to do at the time.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #60
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Still 100% do not blame Flames MGMT for not retiring this clown's #.

The days of being a good hockey player and a lousy person and still getting your name in the rafters are over.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post: