Old 01-26-2022, 12:19 AM   #10481
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lol

This is.. Sadly and hilariously true.

Must be really checked out to be zipping around in dim lighting or sometimes darkness and not realize something's off.

I sure hope they had like a freak an owl bite accident and now have insane night vision or something cause otherwise that's a little concerning.
I see this a lot too. Honestly, I've become convinced that their lights just dont work and they dont care.

I cannot fathom that 'they wouldnt notice.'

Its the same when you're driving after a dump of snow and people havent cleared their rear windows off. Its literally a button. Just push it. It takes no work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:24 AM   #10482
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed a boat load of cars after snowfalls in December driving with snow coating their brake lights, license plate and rear window.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #10483
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Also

Drivers who donít know the two-way stop right of way. Itís not a first to the party sort of thing.
Yes! I turn left from a two way stop onto a busy road each morning. When there's a gap, you need to go. So often, some idiot going straight sits there so long deciding, we both miss our opportunity.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #10484
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
With the long merging ramps to the highway it's just something extra:

You see the bogie entering the picture in your peripheral, you think - yeah there's plenty of space in my lane, they'll line up their spot. Now they're matching your speed and directly across from you. Ok cool, looks like they'll gun it ahead, fine, just going keep my speed here like I've been doing for the last xx kms. They're where the ramp is now connecting to the highway, still beside you. Now tiny alarm bells are sounding. Nahh, there's no way. They're smarter than that, right? You look over to see they're facing straight ahead, not even looking over to notice they're heading for exactly where you are. Now 50 meters left, they finally decide now to peer over and size up the road they're about to merge onto at lethal speeds and see you there. Surprised, they briefly pump the brakes (oh, thank goodness), but then ease off(?) and maintain speed, literally still beside you, the runway shrinking, looking at a loss of what to do now. They're now sizing you up, trying to determine what you're doing, what might do, what you will do. What you have done in your past, what people have done to you. Whether your intentions are hostile based on your year, make, model. The way the sun is hitting your car, and what that could possibly mean. Meanwhile a country mile of sweet, safe real estate (in your lane) ahead and behind you, glistening there, angels calling to them, but they're fixated on you. Locked in their will they/won't they dance of death, constricted like a hunchback within licking distance of the dashboard. You call it there and then, having legitimately lost trust in that moment that they won't simply plow into you for no reason, you make a firm move for the brake pedal. You slow down and, in defeat, say... "there, just go.. just.....go." But then.... their lights suddenly go solid. At the literal end of their lane, they pull back again to where you are, not trusting their eyes and that you actually gave them the space they needed to get over, they try to out-brake you with less than no space to work with. Finally in a panic move of desperation, you gun it away to preserve your life and they sneak in a foot or two behind you.
Iím telling ya, turtle shells.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #10485
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we have mandatory daytime running lights, why don't we also have daytime taillights.

So many idiots out there think auto just checks off all the boxes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #10486
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Since we have mandatory daytime running lights, why don't we also have daytime taillights Just have the full headlights and taillights come on everytime you start the vehicle? .

Fixed.

It is beyond me on why this doesn't just happen.

Also, how many vehicles come without automatic headlights now? I drive a 2011 Durango (love ya babe) and it has auto headlights. I turned them on when I bought it and for 300,000kms I haven't touched the switch since.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #10487
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since we have mandatory daytime running lights, why don't we also have daytime taillights.

All new vehicles do now, finally. There's a new law as well that says if your switch is set to off, the dash lights have to be off as well so people will actually notice
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #10488
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Fixed.

Also, how many vehicles come without automatic headlights now? I drive a 2011 Durango (love ya babe) and it has auto headlights. I turned them on when I bought it and for 300,000kms I haven't touched the switch since.
I'm guessing because it's not great for the battery and with all the fancy electronics in the vehicles, it'll kill a battery relatively quickly if you do a ton of short trips?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #10489
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm guessing because it's not great for the battery and with all the fancy electronics in the vehicles, it'll kill a battery relatively quickly if you do a ton of short trips?
Wait what?

I don't understand.

Please explain.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:14 AM   #10490
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I finally saw a ghost car pull over a guy with their night time lights off. Not gonna lie, that made me feel good inside.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #10491
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait what?

I don't understand.

Please explain.
You fixed Croflames's post to say full headlights on every time you start the car. If the headlights are on fully all the time, some people (not all, but a significantly higher population of people with vehicle ownership) might end up with battery issues due to the draw on the battery being high and their commute to recharge the battery being too low. They'd complain the manufacturer or whoever and the manufacturer would be annoyed dealing with that type of thing.

Lights, sensors, heated seats, radio/speakers, internal computer etc.

I agree with your concept. I'm just musing out loud as to why I think it isn't happening without legislation. That, or maybe it could be that the full lights come on only when you're driving over a certain speed limit when in auto (ie: 60 kmph)?

I do personally think that in the long run, almost all vehicles might end up having a small solar panel somewhere on the car to help address the increased power usage in vehicles.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #10492
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You fixed Croflames's post to say full headlights on every time you start the car. If the headlights are on fully all the time, some people (not all, but a significantly higher population of people with vehicle ownership) might end up with battery issues due to the draw on the battery being high and their commute to recharge the battery being too low. They'd complain the manufacturer or whoever and the manufacturer would be annoyed dealing with that type of thing.

Lights, sensors, heated seats, radio/speakers, internal computer etc.

I agree with your concept. I'm just musing out loud as to why I think it isn't happening without legislation. That, or maybe it could be that the full lights come on only when you're driving over a certain speed limit when in auto (ie: 60 kmph)?

I do personally think that in the long run, almost all vehicles might end up having a small solar panel somewhere on the car to help address the increased power usage in vehicles.
Lights are not an issue at all. The idle start/stop on new vehicles is far harder on the electrical system than headlights always on. And considering we've had DRL's for 33 years, adding tail lights to the mix will be negligible.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #10493
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Lights are not an issue at all. The idle start/stop on new vehicles is far harder on the electrical system than headlights always on. And considering we've had DRL's for 33 years, adding tail lights to the mix will be negligible.
If I misunderstood, I apologize. My understanding of that post was not saying DRL front and back being on, but full headlights. Hence my comment.

A few LEDs on the front and back as an improved form of DRL shouldn't be a huge draw on the battery, I agree.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #10494
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
If I misunderstood, I apologize. My understanding of that post was not saying DRL front and back being on, but full headlights. Hence my comment.

A few LEDs on the front and back as an improved form of DRL shouldn't be a huge draw on the battery, I agree.
Actual full headlights won't have the impact you think they will on preventing a battery from charging on short trips. It's the draw from the starter that will have a far far greater impact, and you better be making only 100m trips then.

BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #10495
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But even if you switch from DRL to full headlights, you aren't increasing power draw that much. And they can always upsize the alternator a bit if needed. Adding an extra 5 amps to a 70 amp alternator isn't a big engineering problem.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 12:10 PM   #10496
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But even if you switch from DRL to full headlights, you aren't increasing power draw that much. And they can always upsize the alternator a bit if needed. Adding an extra 5 amps to a 70 amp alternator isn't a big engineering problem.
Summary: DoubleF you did misunderstand AND you have a poor understanding of power draw and alternator output in vehicles.

DoubleF response: I concur.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #10497
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tory-1.6327488

This is sad. Our education system is so flawed. We see sugar coated “lessons” often aimed at inappropriate ages. Even my older kid says history was a joke and glossed over many important major points. There’s not much for mandatory reading and watching videos from the wars, camps, and atrocities. Yes it’s nasty stuff… but our own adult population largely has zero idea what atrocities have happened worldwide the last 10-20 years such as parts of Asia, Africa, Russia, South America, and even domestically. Hey guys let’s instead watch TikTok of somebody’s pants splitting open….
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #10498
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this talk of merging makes me think a lot of you must live in Airdrie. People in Airdrie do not get up to speed to get on the QEII.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #10499
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
All this talk of merging makes me think a lot of you must live in Airdrie. People in Airdrie do not get up to speed to get on the QEII.
Well they're only going to be on it for 20 minutes, whats the point in getting up to speed?

Theres no sense in doing the speed of traffic if you're only going to be on the road for a few minutes.

This drives me nuts about merging onto Deerfoot before Anderson too.

"Well, we're just going onto Anderson, so theres no point in doing the Deerfoot speed! We'll just toddle along doing 70 like an obstacle."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #10500
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fixed.

My 05 Mazda 3 does as well. Haven't touched the switch either. And it's unreal how reliable it is. I always thought as the plastic dome that covers the sensor fades or deteriorated over time, it would become less reliable. Absolutely not the case.

I was worried that auto headlights would make me forget to manually turn them on in my wifes car that doesn't have that feature. Luckily my brain still seems to be wired to do so
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote