Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #61
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Dumb question....

Preface to dumb question: I moved to Calgary in 2008.

Who was the last 'good' mayor? Or has there been one?
What makes a good mayor?

People talk up Duerr a lot even though nothing got built (but taxes didn't rise), putting the city into a major infrastructure deficit heading into over a decade of boom times.

Bronco spent and spent to the point people got tired of him, but we got some major projects done.

Klein is Klein. Had a tough decade for the city but also had the focus of the Olympics to work with. Was popular enough to be a card-carrying Liberal to become a beloved PC premier.

Nenshi had to balance keeping up with infrastructure spending while not quite being as wild-west with it as Bronco was. Was probably the right mayor to have take over for the East Village transformation. People whine about spending on stuff like bike lanes ($7M) and the Peace Bridge ($25M...also not Nenshi's) and other capital projects on the city's increasing operational spending leading to property tax increases, so it's really hard to judge.

Bronco and Nenshi aren't as beloved as Duerr and Klein, but they also had to deal with a period of ridiculous growth and almost two decades of relative inaction in the city to make up for.

So if you're a 'low taxes and give me some roads to drive to work' Duerr and Klein are your guys. If 'let's turn this mid-size city into a big city' is what floats your boat, Nenshi and Bronco are your guys.

Last edited by Roughneck; 12-17-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #62
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Klein: Good 80's mayor, Olympics raised his profile.
Duerr: Nixing any needed spending and satisfying NIMBY's since 1989
Bronco: Developers and economy gone Boom
Nenshi: Hero to millennials, brought new face to Calgary and gave Rick Bell nightmares about Spendshi's reign at Silly Hall.

Next up: the mystery box
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #63
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Klein burning the Oilers pennant gets him the top spot.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #64
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appreciate your insight.

To answer your question on what makes a 'good' mayor, I think that's changing with the advent of social media and how it's used.

FWIW, good to me means a mayor who left the city in a better position than he found it by most measures.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #65
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Next up: the mystery box

Gondek, hopefully.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #66
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Gondek, hopefully.
I would love Jeff Davison to run if not Gondek. Would also love Chu and Farkas to be fired into the sun.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #67
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gondek, hopefully.

She is my councillor, but she has been pretty quiet. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I was kind of expecting something a little closer to Farrell.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #68
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klein: Built the LRT. Blamed an influx of crime on "eastern creeps and bums." Drank a lot.

Duerr: Satisfying NIMBY's since 1989 by, among other things, unilaterally banning Marilyn Manson from performing here (I think it was 1995).

Bronco: Rich family, gave out lots of sweetheart deals to his rich friends.

Nenshi: Saved us from the champion of the old boys club, the weasel Ric McIver.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #69
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I would love Jeff Davison to run if not Gondek. Would also love Chu and Farkas to be fired into the sun.
Jeff is doing well. Smart Councillor. Him and Gondek are fairly similar politically and in approach - I think they gotta decide amongst the two of them who is better positioned to win a mayoral race - one go in, one swallow their pride and ambition and stay on as Councillor, especially if were a race against someone like Farkas. Ambition makes that tough - but necessary. I also suspect Woolley will go in as a more ardent progressive (even though he's clearly making moves to try and demonstrate pragmatism).
Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #70
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It absolutely blows my mind that anyone is buying what Farkas is selling, especially the last day or two in Council. This is grandstanding at its finest from a guy who has no interest in actually improving Calgary in any way. If you've already got everything you ever needed for the rest of your life, I can see why you might vote for this hack, but the rest of the City would definitely suffer from the stagnation he wants.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #71
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It absolutely blows my mind that anyone is buying what Farkas is selling, especially the last day or two in Council. This is grandstanding at its finest from a guy who has no interest in actually improving Calgary in any way. If you've already got everything you ever needed for the rest of your life, I can see why you might vote for this hack, but the rest of the City would definitely suffer from the stagnation he wants.
Every single person who voted for him should be subjected to an IQ test for expulsion from the city.

And what a punchable face he has.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #72
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Anyone who ever had to sit at the traffic light on Glenmore at Elbow can attest that Bronco > Duerr.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #73
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chu just robo-called to wish merry Christmas. That was all he said, but it took about 5 minutes to get the whole thing out. I'm sorry politicians, but I want a Merry Christmas rob-call even less than I want a Christmas card from you. This seems unnecessary.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #74
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What makes a good mayor?

People talk up Duerr a lot even though nothing got built (but taxes didn't rise), putting the city into a major infrastructure deficit heading into over a decade of boom times.

Bronco spent and spent to the point people got tired of him, but we got some major projects done.

Klein is Klein. Had a tough decade for the city but also had the focus of the Olympics to work with. Was popular enough to be a card-carrying Liberal to become a beloved PC premier.

Nenshi had to balance keeping up with infrastructure spending while not quite being as wild-west with it as Bronco was. Was probably the right mayor to have take over for the East Village transformation. People whine about spending on stuff like bike lanes ($7M) and the Peace Bridge ($25M...also not Nenshi's) and other capital projects on the city's increasing operational spending leading to property tax increases, so it's really hard to judge.

Bronco and Nenshi aren't as beloved as Duerr and Klein, but they also had to deal with a period of ridiculous growth and almost two decades of relative inaction in the city to make up for.

So if you're a 'low taxes and give me some roads to drive to work' Duerr and Klein are your guys. If 'let's turn this mid-size city into a big city' is what floats your boat, Nenshi and Bronco are your guys.

Duerr was mayor during the time the feds were addressing Canada's defiicit problem.

Basically, managing the deficit was financed to a large extent on the backs of provinces and municipalities across Canada.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #75
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Farkas Reporting that according to the verified YYC #'s that city council IS in line for a pay raise.

https://twitter.com/JeromyYYC/status...82439786696704

Should Council have to apologize to him now? What a ridiculous kindergarten we have running the city.

Last edited by crazy_eoj; 12-20-2018 at 09:52 AM.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #76
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

But also:

https://twitter.com/brodie_thomas/st...95589869187072
Old 12-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #77
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's nothing but a sensationalist turd who caters to the many cantankerous old people in the riding. I'm ashamed he's my Councillor.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #78
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I don't understand how they can have 'conflicting numbers'?

Are they adjusting the formula because they want to ensure no pay raise even though the current formula calls for one? Cooking the goose, per se?
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #79
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooooo... a 2.37% raise possible? Who cares?

If Farkas is that concerned, he should just donate his raise to charity, and maybe encourage the other councillors to do the same and just let that be the end of it.

How many days has this been going on for? If I am not mistaken, my back of the napkin math is somewhere like $450 of tax payer money per day for a salary, not taking into account vacation days. Maybe he should consider this when he starts these time wasting endeavours that go nowhere.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #80
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There really is a simple decision to be made here. They won't get the final and accurate number until Dec 20. So maybe just decide in the new year and retroactivate it. Done. You're welcome. Farkas isn't wrong here. There's a discrepancy with the numbers. Voting on the wrong numbers is stupid. I kind of hope he gets an apology.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 12-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat