Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just spent 5 mins trying to figure out why the owner of the Oilers would be sexting
Oh you missed the fun. Why would the owner of the Oilers be sexting a convicted murderer in the state of Wisconsin?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #222
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh you missed the fun. Why would the owner of the Oilers be sexting a convicted murderer in the state of Wisconsin?
Chiarelli reaching the end of his leash already?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #223
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
MacT is scouting the admirals?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #224
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devel View Post
Ken Kratz is planning on writing a book to further prove Steven Avery's guilt, defend the justice system and speak for the real victim, Teresa Halbach.
making-a-murderer-da-ken-kratz-is-writing-a-tell-all-book/

It appears he was also trying to get Steven Avery to confess the details of the murder to him so he can have the glory of telling the whole story.

Steve had ONE chance to tell all the details to Kratz, but he didn't. Then he says contact me if you change your mind. What a bafoon.

Anyways, just finished it yesterday. My thinking is, he probably did it (70% sure) but the trial was a total f up. Because of that; Kratz, Len Kachinksy, 2 lead investigators, Lenk, Manitowoc County Sherriff, that other Deputy who received the call in 1995 should be behind bars too. Might have missed some one.

Brendan should be out, period. He does not have the mental capacity to deal with the situation. I can't believe that was allowed to happen. He should be in some rehab house. He might've had a part in it, but any involvement would've been on Steven's orders.

The story they tortured her in the trailer, then shot her in the garage, then burnt her. At some point put her in the Rav 4 as well. That's a lot of bad planning if this premeditated.

He was obsessed with her, with all the calls and insisting she come out to take pictures. That doesn't prove he killed her.

As others have asked, where is all the blood? If they burnt anything, wouldn't they still find some fibers or bedsheets and etc in the ashes?

Why about the tire tracks of the Rav 4? From where she parked it and where they found the vehicle?

Jodi, on the HLN interview says Steve forced her to say good things about them, she wasn't allowed to see him, that means this would've been said over the phone. All phone calls are recorded, I'm sure they listened to all his calls. Why wasn't this mentioned or is she simply now lying?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other theory is Theresa's brother, Mike Halbach, that was the spokesperson. He was just way too calm and collected.

He cracked the password on the voicemail but denied erasing any messages. The others got into her actual account to look at her history. As far as I remember, he was the only one who got into the voicemail. He could've potentially erased a huge clue.

He just seemed shady to me. Adamantly denying that anyone else had been on Avery property except the lady who was guided by God himself.

Anyways, I'm sure there's a lot cases like this all over the world. 3rd world countries, it's a surprise to find an honest cop so to have corrupt cops here is not hard to believe.

Kinda reminds me of Vic Mackey and his crew.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #225
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/29...n-justice-tour

"The defence lawyers for Steven Avery who were featured in the Netflix documentary series "Making A Murderer" are coming to Canada.
Dean Strang and Jerry Buting will stop in several cities on this side of the border as part of their "A Conversation on Justice Tour."

On July 30 they'll appear at Calgary's Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium and on July 31 they'll be at Edmonton's Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #226
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Steve had ONE chance to tell all the details to Kratz, but he didn't. Then he says contact me if you change your mind. What a bafoon.

Anyways, just finished it yesterday. My thinking is, he probably did it (70% sure) but the trial was a total f up. Because of that; Kratz, Len Kachinksy, 2 lead investigators, Lenk, Manitowoc County Sherriff, that other Deputy who received the call in 1995 should be behind bars too. Might have missed some one.

Brendan should be out, period. He does not have the mental capacity to deal with the situation. I can't believe that was allowed to happen. He should be in some rehab house. He might've had a part in it, but any involvement would've been on Steven's orders.

The story they tortured her in the trailer, then shot her in the garage, then burnt her. At some point put her in the Rav 4 as well. That's a lot of bad planning if this premeditated.

He was obsessed with her, with all the calls and insisting she come out to take pictures. That doesn't prove he killed her.

As others have asked, where is all the blood? If they burnt anything, wouldn't they still find some fibers or bedsheets and etc in the ashes?

Why about the tire tracks of the Rav 4? From where she parked it and where they found the vehicle?

Jodi, on the HLN interview says Steve forced her to say good things about them, she wasn't allowed to see him, that means this would've been said over the phone. All phone calls are recorded, I'm sure they listened to all his calls. Why wasn't this mentioned or is she simply now lying?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other theory is Theresa's brother, Mike Halbach, that was the spokesperson. He was just way too calm and collected.

He cracked the password on the voicemail but denied erasing any messages. The others got into her actual account to look at her history. As far as I remember, he was the only one who got into the voicemail. He could've potentially erased a huge clue.

He just seemed shady to me. Adamantly denying that anyone else had been on Avery property except the lady who was guided by God himself.

Anyways, I'm sure there's a lot cases like this all over the world. 3rd world countries, it's a surprise to find an honest cop so to have corrupt cops here is not hard to believe.

Kinda reminds me of Vic Mackey and his crew.

I've dealt with police officers in a circumstances at trial, where they are clearly lying. It's not an issue of corruption so much. They aren't benefiting financially (at least not directly in the form of a payoff) from their testimony.

I think they honestly believe what they are doing is right by planting the evidence. They believed that Avery was guilty and wanted to make sure he was convicted. It's the same kind of mob mentality you see when people shame people on the internet. A lot of the police officers are of average intelligence at best. They are being selected for their ability to follow orders, not intelligence. So they end up becoming misguided and more focused on their goal of convicting the bad guy, instead of following the law.

There's also an element of ego in there too. They don't want to admit that they might be wrong. They need to push to get their guy and "win" the case.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #227
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching it. Agreed with all the thoughts here.

One thing that doesn't really add up for me though is Steven and Brendan's supposed approaches to disposing of the two key pieces of evidence, namely the body and the car.

Regarding bodily evidence. They have zero knowledge of forensics yet were so clever and meticulous that they are able to clean the garage and the bedroom and the area around the trailer so that there is zero trace of what you would expect to be copious body fluids from a bloody murder. Either very lucky or extremely careful.

The RAV4? Consider that the one thing they had knowledge more than most was cutting up and scrapping cars. Probably fair to say all they know.

So, having gone to all that trouble to clean up the bodily evidence in the garage and trailer there is the matter of disposing of the evidence that is the blood in the back of the vehicle.

They have the location and the tools and the knowledge available to burn the car, grind down the chassis, cut it up and crush it, thus disposing of the evidence. Or having a damn good go at it.

But what do they do? They decide to drive it to the side of the lot and cover it with a couple of branches?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #228
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Just finished watching it. Agreed with all the thoughts here.

One thing that doesn't really add up for me though is Steven and Brendan's supposed approaches to disposing of the two key pieces of evidence, namely the body and the car.

Regarding bodily evidence. They have zero knowledge of forensics yet were so clever and meticulous that they are able to clean the garage and the bedroom and the area around the trailer so that there is zero trace of what you would expect to be copious body fluids from a bloody murder. Either very lucky or extremely careful.

The RAV4? Consider that the one thing they had knowledge more than most was cutting up and scrapping cars. Probably fair to say all they know.

So, having gone to all that trouble to clean up the bodily evidence in the garage and trailer there is the matter of disposing of the evidence that is the blood in the back of the vehicle.

They have the location and the tools and the knowledge available to burn the car, grind down the chassis, cut it up and crush it, thus disposing of the evidence. Or having a damn good go at it.

But what do they do? They decide to drive it to the side of the lot and cover it with a couple of branches?
I had the exact same questions...the way it was put to me is that we are thinking like rational, reasonable, intelligent adults. These guys are clearly not, so you can't attribute how you'd do things onto them. They very well could have put a lot of effort into the clean up in the garage, but didn't bother with the rest because they were too dumb to think it was important.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #229
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Heard there was a new alibi in his case. Apparently phone records show that him and the victim were in separate places after the murder?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/steven...162313217.html
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #230
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished this. I feel like I came in pretty impartial. All I knew about it was that there was a desputed case and potential corruption. I had never heard of it before and actively avoided any talk on it before watching it.

What the f***? Like what the serious f***?

To be frank, even if Avery did do this, the evidence presented in the case, and the circumstances surrounding it, should have been enough to acquit him based on a reasonable doubt.

The conviction of Brendan absolutely floors me. How can you watch that confession and not realize this is a simple, scared kid just going along with the story.

Personally, I don't think Avery had anything to do with it, and Brenden, of course, not at all.

I thought the defense attornies, both for Avery and Brendan (after the first clown), were excellent. That DA is an absolute slimeball and I thought so before watching the last episode and hearing about the sexting BS as I just finished that now.

Seriously. What in the blue f***?

Last edited by Coach; 07-18-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #231
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Season 2 is coming soon. Follow Avery post conviction and his new legal team.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/19/12...on-two-netflix
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #232
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Season 2 is coming soon. Follow Avery post conviction and his new legal team.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/19/12...on-two-netflix
Good! I hope it results in some of those Cops and DAs going to prison. Or at least getting fired.

I cannot believe no action has been taken against that department.

Whatever your feelings or beliefs about Avery whether hes a good person or not, did it or not, whatever, I cannot imagine anyone can say that 'No Mistakes Were Made.'

He got railroaded the first time, it got proven, they got sued and not one officer or attorney got so much as disciplined leaving them in perfect positions of power to do it again!

Unreal. The Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department is the Edmonton Oilers of Law Enforcement.

Its as though the Oilers signed a player who could only score goals by throwing them into the net and hoping nobody noticed and when its determined that a huge mistake has been made you turn around and everyone has been promoted!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #233
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Brendan Dassey has had his conviction overturned:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemc...kX#.fxyjXr06vJ

Quote:
The court found Dassey’s confession in the murder of Teresa Halbach was involuntary under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments, according to court documents.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #234
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Jesus Christ you are a Robot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #235
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

Wow. That must have been a tough debate.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #236
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm glad it was overturned based on that confession. Having said that, I still think those two killed her.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #237
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Just in time for Summer Slam
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #238
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'm glad it was overturned based on that confession. Having said that, I still think those two killed her.
I know that all we have is from the documentary which favours the Avery family to some degree, but what makes you think that?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #239
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never seen this series. Is it still relevant/watchable given the changes that have occurred? I wonder if it might be updated with new events and findings.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #240
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never seen this series. Is it still relevant/watchable given the changes that have occurred? I wonder if it might be updated with new events and findings.
It doesn't really change anything. I suppose at the end they could do a text on black that says this happened!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote